Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Buying a Sportbike

phobik

If you're asking us what to buy I would guess you haven't done much research on the subject and that you are an inexperienced rider. That being the case, stay the fuck away from a hayabusa. It's very heavy and very powerful, not exactly the kind of bike I think you'd want.

Describe to us your level of experience as well as your riding style and we'll take it from there.

for my first bike, after I finish a training bike, i'm going to grab a 600cc-bike. Probably a Honda F4 or something with good handling habits and no nasty tendencies.

I dont even know much about bikes but I do know that jumping straight onto the fastest production motorcycle in the world is not a healthy idea if you want to keep all your limbs, or if you want to keep the bike in good condition.

Guest brwneydtrouble

I would totally agree with the guys. A busa is NOT the kind of bike you want to learn on.

Another couple factors you might want to consider are your height and height. If you are a big guy, go for a gixxer 600 or 750. A smaller, lighter guy, go for the ZX6R, CBR600RR. An R6 isnt first bike material, its not very forgiving from what I hear. Also, will you be a weekend rider, will you do long distances? What area do you live in, suburban, are there winding roads? If so, maybe a ZX11 - its a big heavy bike, but its comfy. Or possibly an SV650S on the lighter side.

In short, there are a lot of factors that will determine what kind of bike will work for what you want to do. I suggest you sit on a lot of them, tuck in, and see what you feel comfortable on.

A couple message boards to check out: www.sportbike.net, www.gixxer.com, and I'll think of the others when im not delirious.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by phobik

I HAVE ALOT OF YRS EXPERIENCE, I RODE BIKE SINCE I CAN REMEMBER, MY FIRST CAR WAS A BIKE. I LOVE THEM. NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT. HARD TO BELIEVE BUT I HAVNT GOT INTO ONE.

Then why do you ask? If you have always ridden, you would know exactly what to get.

I dont know how to ride, and I know exactly what I want.

Originally posted by phobik

I HAVE ALOT OF YRS EXPERIENCE, I RODE BIKE SINCE I CAN REMEMBER, MY FIRST CAR WAS A BIKE. I LOVE THEM. NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT. HARD TO BELIEVE BUT I HAVNT GOT INTO ONE.

1-why are you asking what to get if you've been riding forever? Does this bike you mention have a motor or pedals?

2-you WILL go down eventually

I wouldnt recommend a busa unless the only thing you want to do is go fast and straight. The busa isnt any good for turns or traffic and stuff like that. If its your first bike and you dont trust yourself id say a suzuki gsxr750 if youre confident that you can ride... which would be my guess since you want a busa I'd say get a gsxr1000 fast and its agility is unmatched by the hayabusa. Also look into the new kawasakis. i heard theyre badass.. supposedly the new zx-10r takes the old zx12 soooooo i dunno check em out. overall the gsxrs have been really good... i stick to em... thats just my $.02

It's all about what you are looking to do with the bike. Now, if you are looking for one hell of a rocket that will do pretty much whatever you want it to do, then i say get the Gixxer 1000. Now, if you want something that is super stable at any speed, is comfortable as hell, and is just a sick bike altogether, i say get the '04 Busa. I have an '03 and the thing is just awesome. I had a 2002 R6 before this bike, and i would never look back.

ayitslizzy, have not idea what you are talking about?????:confused: I feel so much more comfortable on the busa than i did on the 6 anywhere. The busa corners great imo and the extra weight accompanied with the 1300 cc engine isn't noticable at all while moving.

You can ride the Busa all friggin day long and not really be hurting like other bikes. Hell i've only been riding for 2 years, my first bike was the R6, but i've ridden a few R1's, Gixxer 750, nothing compares. The Busa will also carry a passenger with good comfort. My $.02

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll My opinion is that at MY 125 pound and 5 foot 3 inch body the busa did not feel good at all lol. My boyfriend has one and i lose him in traffic with the quickness on my 1000. there is a difference in handling!! now the comfort part i agree with you... i'd rather sit on the back of a busa than on the back of a 1000 any day... anyway.. what he said is true. you need to know what it is you want to do with the bike before you start deciding on which one to get there are a few pretty good options out there. DO YOUR REASERCH! :)~

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by Teknojunkee

<~~~~~ 5'4"....its hard to ride anything...damn those red lights.

750 you really cant ask for more. Its the in between. Ive ridden Gixxer 600, 750, CBR600 and 900RR, Tried out a 'busa..thought I was gonna shit my pants lol.

Tek

You rode the CBR600RR? What did you think? I'm only 5'1 and might be considering it.....

Gonna go take a look at Lizzys bike though. If I get a 750 to start out with, I might not want to go down to a 600.

ayitslizzy,

Ok for your size and weight, you would def. feel the weight of the bike.

brwneydtrouble,

I honestly wouldn't go under a 750cc bike. I'm telling you, you'll regret you did. The power just isn't there on a 600cc bike. I loved my R6, but, the constant shifting and having to downshift 3 gears to pass on the parkway and such just sucked. Also, having to rev out to redline to really get moving bites as well, lol. The Busa, power from 2000rpm all the way to it's 11000rpm redline.

I havent had a prob with any bikes besides the the Busa and the 1000's....

I hated stoppin the bike cause you gotta lean it to its side to reach the ground. Your 3" shorter so your gonna have a ball.

Honestly...just go to the dealers and test em all out. Sit on em, get a feel for how far off the ground you are. The heavier the bike the harder its gonna be to ride.

Tek

Originally posted by badssc

ayitslizzy,

Ok for your size and weight, you would def. feel the weight of the bike.

brwneydtrouble,

I honestly wouldn't go under a 750cc bike. I'm telling you, you'll regret you did. The power just isn't there on a 600cc bike. I loved my R6, but, the constant shifting and having to downshift 3 gears to pass on the parkway and such just sucked. Also, having to rev out to redline to really get moving bites as well, lol. The Busa, power from 2000rpm all the way to it's 11000rpm redline.

This is why I like open-classers. However, in the next couple years I don't think 750cc sportbikes will be produced any longer. As it is now only Suzuki still makes a 750 sportbike. The rest of the big 4 have stopped. Now that 1000cc 4's are allowed in US and World Superbike, there is no reason to produce a 750. My guess is Suzuki will probably drop the 750 from it's line-up in the very near future.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by ou812

This is why I like open-classers. However, in the next couple years I don't think 750cc sportbikes will be produced any longer. As it is now only Suzuki still makes a 750 sportbike. The rest of the big 4 have stopped. Now that 1000cc 4's are allowed in US and World Superbike, there is no reason to produce a 750. My guess is Suzuki will probably drop the 750 from it's line-up in the very near future.

I can see that too....haven't you noticed how they are revamping the 600's and coming out with sport touring bikes like the new Yamaha ZF6 and Kawasaki as well.....

I had been told that Suzuki was going to be discontinuing the SV and the Bandit but with competition from the others, that doesn't seem like it would be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ayitslizzy

Theyre dropping the 750 class from the world superbike competition within the next few years, and suzuki isnt the only one makin them this year.

I said Suzuki is the only one left out of "The Big 4" a.k.a. Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha.