Clubplanet Nightlife Community

New Space lights arent bad...

kosmosimpson

I haven't seen the new lights at Space, but just to be fair to the poor bloke running them....

9 times out of 10 the newly installed lights in a nightclub don't look all that great for at least 2 weeks after they are installed. The reason for this is that it takes a couple of nights to get used to the new set up and write appropriate programs.

As I said, "I haven't seen them" but give the guy/girl a chance....

BTW - this should bring back memories for some:

OUCH MY RETINA!!!!

:)

Originally posted by drewbongiorno

I haven't seen the new lights at Space, but just to be fair to the poor bloke running them....

9 times out of 10 the newly installed lights in a nightclub don't look all that great for at least 2 weeks after they are installed. The reason for this is that it takes a couple of nights to get used to the new set up and write appropriate programs.

As I said, "I haven't seen them" but give the guy/girl a chance....

BTW - this should bring back memories for some:

OUCH MY RETINA!!!!

:)

and that is what lighting is all about!

:D

Now that's classic, when you tossed up that Martin rental rig a few conferences ago. :cool: Colors and chaos for a bit, but it's trance so you can get away with that.

I'm not a real light tech, I happen to just chat on a regular basis with all the LDs in town, and on occasion take a spin on someone's rig...it all stemmed from me wanting to know what the lighting that I was taking photos of was all about...I really couldn't program to save my life half the time.

But, as Drew said, when you throw in a few new fixtures into a lighting rig, it sometimes takes a bit of time to get them nice and integrated with everything else...you've got these nice established programs, probably fifty or sixty of them, now you have to merge your new lights into those programs...at first, it's a lot of manual work, run program 0234, select the new fixtures, dick around with them till they look good with the program, and save...often done on the fly, actually...

Now as far as styles of lighting go, that's a different story. To me, it seems to be a regional thing almost. Miami LDs love long cues, with all sorts of layering, a hint of strobing here and there, and there's a few "ouch my retinas!" cues for that special moment when there's a buildup. NY area LDs, from what I can see, are in love with strobing...some do it well, but a lot fall into the strobe strobe strobe swish, change color, rinse and repeat that I decried earlier. Sure, maybe they want the clubs dark, but that doesn't necessarily mean blackout (UVPASS, anyone?) time. Strobing is nice, but applied sparingly. The few times I run, I keep it to a minimum...I'm a big fan of nice cool washes, blues, UVPASS, cyans...maybe some deep red here and there for accents. Besides, blue looks so good on my 10D sensor.

Now the one thing some Miami clubs have to learn is to get a hazer. Fog is nice, but haze is better. You want nice fat beams :)

That true Pod.

But some of us LD's take our jobs like an art. Some creative some just in it for the $$$, I for one take some passion to the work when I can. I’m used to the mobile production life so I had to learn how to program different style rigs and doing it as fast and impressive. Most the time we have to listen to the DJ as what they want, when it comes to hiphop I think that is hell for me. Hiphop and lighting doesn’t work!

And I don’t really think they care what the lighting does.

I have video from raves and demo’s at Infinite that would blow you away considering the technology that I am using. It’s all in the passion you have for your job. Also props and other little detail make the difference. At space we have the budget at time to dress the venue in props and cool décor, other clubs in Miami don’t have that lucky budget to bring such designs.

My next project, I been asked to go to Pure Night Club and program their martin rig. So I plan to leave them with a very nice lighting show if their budget allows for extra props and tricks.

Shadow had a nice setup and the style of music allowed the LD to get a bit freaky with it. Now space has some of the best LD's in Miami, besides Tod, Ross, and a few other beach techs.

Now as far as people saying space is tOO bright, I think its more of an issue of the amount of lighting fixtures and the layout of the building. Too many lighitng working at the same time will kinda make it bright. But that should be changing soon.

Originally posted by guccicoo77

are you one of em nexus? :)

most of the ones i see are gay; but i've seen one or two straight guys doing the lights here and there who are amazing :)))))

NOPE not one of them. :rolleyes:

there is only 2 light guys at space. with a 4th on that comes and goes at times... that would be me.

Tell me what they look like and I'll hook u up!!

:D

I know this is late in the conversation, but neon is waaaay too expensive from what I am told, and IMHO, I have never seen neon work in a club w/ the exception of the insanity they had going at Twilo w/ not only the spiral but also the neon shooting around the edges of the room. So tight.

The video was the set up at Twilo. Saw S&D there back in 2000 and the lighting in that place absolutely killed. The neon spiral and chasers were insane. In all fairness, that did have probably the best light guy in the country at the time, the name has slipped me, but I think hes a black guy who works Arc now.

I think chasing lights are a great effect. Space Ibiza has a great set up as well with the spiral around the entire room.

That retina video, what is that, Shadow Lounge. Horrible lights, music, everthing.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I've seen the guy at Twilo do his thing, and that video is not a good example of it. He must have been in the john or something and let his friend take over.

As for the lighting at Shadow, they worked with what they had, and did a damn good job of it.

If it's the same guy who is at Arc, his name is Ariel and yes he's great and really really dark. I wouldn't be surprised because Twilo's GM is the guy that turned Vinyl into Arc and throws one offs at Roxy w/ PVD etc......

But Arc's lights don't really give him the chance to go off, I don't feel.

Twilo's lights were not all thrown in there in a day, it took them years to build that system up. And I personally liked the streaming video a lot, especially as it showed over the DJ. I have (somewhat) vivid memories of Digweed up there drenched in colors.