Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Geore Acosta SF Review!!!

Originally posted by bionic

the sound system at sf is no joke.

the fact that it wasn't tweeked right for he particular dj isn't the systems prob, its the sound engineers prob.

jp had that system in check!

perosonally, i think people need to get off the phazon's dick.

it's an over-rated name brand.

System at SF is AFAIK (well until back opens at lest :D ) the most powerful system in the city. I've heard lots of complaining since jr took over threre about the sytem tho, so i'm wondering if they messed with a good thing when they 'upgraded' the sound in there for jr...but all the processing in there was digital so if that were the case it should be a few button presses to recall the system presets they were running with jp there, but whatever.

Honestly i cant really comment b/c i havnt been back there since JPs last nite there so i havnt heard this "new" setup firsthand.

would i go back there...like tek said, if it was worth my money then ya, but will all the bad shit i'm hearing about it (from real ppl that were there, not message board B/S) is that its pretty dead there week after week, so to drop $30 to do dance around in 40,000 square feet with 400 other ppl aint a good time in my book, but thats just me

3/13 -- need i say more :idea:

RIP SF:hang:

Crobar is a huge space, still sound system is working perfectly. Some statements are true. I really think that sound system is fine it is just not tuned in right. So whats the answer? Hire someone who knows the system and KNOWS THE MUSIC THAT WILL BE PLAID on that system. Simple. And Phazon is NOT an overrated system. You see if it was (since the clients include clubs around the world) this system would not be bought. Simple. Besides I am telling to put phazon in SF (althought it would be a nice touch) but at least tune it rite. And I dont care how big the place is. Republic (home of Gatecrasher) is a huge warehouse prolly 2x the size of SF. The sound is amazing.

Originally posted by bionic

the 1am closings doesn't look likely.

i have a friend (affiliated with rehab) who was at the last meeting and there is a lot more resistance to it then you think.

even the nypd don't want it. but thats a topic for another thread.

the sound system at sf is no joke.

the fact that it wasn't tweeked right for he particular dj isn't the systems prob, its the sound engineers prob.

jp had that system in check!

to be honest, one of the things i'll miss most is that system and jp turning those bass knobs as if his life depended on it that would make my kidneys bounce.

arc is a small room with low ceilings. it's an easy room to fill with sound.

sf is a 4 story warehouse. i don't see a reasonable gripe about not being on the main dance floor and not hearing the music "just right".

perosonally, i think people need to get off the phazon's dick.

it's an over-rated name brand.

Yeah power isn't the only important thing in a sound system. I'd rather have a weaker system tuned right then some of the crap i've heard at SF...

...its true that I have been to SF a couple times when the sound was perfect BUT the engineers need to understand the difference between how house, trance and genre's need different tuning AND how a specific dj tends to want to use things - that's a benefit to the type of rotating residency that Twilo had: there was diversity in music but enough regularity for the sound guys to develop the perfect settings for each of the monthly parties.

I've also noticed that there are regularly blown buzzing speakers at SF - often for the highs - and that just kills the ears and the overall effect. With the power they have there and the layout they could make it great if they got a good system down...

btw - if you ever go from Avalon --> Arc I think it becomes immediately apparent how much better / fuller / cleaner the Arc system is. I know that Avalon is a very odd space but even just comparing the middle of the dance floor at Avalon to anywhere on the floor at Arc there is a huge difference. (haven't been to Crobar or Spirit yet so not commenting on those)

I think the problem is they have the EQ and compression set up one way. If you walk by the amp case on the catwalk at factory the screen on the processors reads JUNIOR VASQUEZ.

They probbably havent gotten around to re tweeking the system for the new party.

We have the same processors @ Nation and they can be set to multiple settings depending on the event.

Avalon is odd as you put it. And sound is concentrated towards the middle. Arc has the adventage of having a small space and properly situated speakers (4 corners of the room including 2 subs in between) And OMG can you hear the highs and the bass. I did notice the same buzzing and that is what I was talking about when I was talking about not hearing the highs. All I hope is that the system will be done properly before Rank 1 and Cosmic Gate will show up, because Rank 1 is ALL about highs.

Originally posted by barvybe

Yeah power isn't the only important thing in a sound system. I'd rather have a weaker system tuned right then some of the crap i've heard at SF...

...its true that I have been to SF a couple times when the sound was perfect BUT the engineers need to understand the difference between how house, trance and genre's need different tuning AND how a specific dj tends to want to use things - that's a benefit to the type of rotating residency that Twilo had: there was diversity in music but enough regularity for the sound guys to develop the perfect settings for each of the monthly parties.

I've also noticed that there are regularly blown buzzing speakers at SF - often for the highs - and that just kills the ears and the overall effect. With the power they have there and the layout they could make it great if they got a good system down...

btw - if you ever go from Avalon --> Arc I think it becomes immediately apparent how much better / fuller / cleaner the Arc system is. I know that Avalon is a very odd space but even just comparing the middle of the dance floor at Avalon to anywhere on the floor at Arc there is a huge difference. (haven't been to Crobar or Spirit yet so not commenting on those)

Originally posted by mattm2o

I think the problem is they have the EQ and compression set up one way. If you walk by the amp case on the catwalk at factory the screen on the processors reads JUNIOR VASQUEZ.

They probbably havent gotten around to re tweeking the system for the new party.

We have the same processors @ Nation and they can be set to multiple settings depending on the event.

Can you please tell it to the managment in SF? LOL They will listen to you!

Originally posted by jaysea

but SF as i have said before, allready purchased a new system, 3 months ago...

wait 2 month's....

they didnt buy a new system, they made some changes to the one they had. But matt just confirmed what I suspected they just had everything tweeked for juniors liking and havnt gone back and reset it yet (which since its all digital literally is only a few button presses from being back to sounding like the place did on JPs last nite there.)

Cant think of the model processors they have in there but there a rather obscure high end (i wanna say german made) 3 band digital box, all in 1 RU...sound kicks ass they and you gotta try REALLY hard to overdrive them