Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Help...URGENT

sotuchick

I know some of you guys here are very smart writers...

I need help w/ something here...

I am stock trying to come up with a thesis statement for an essay exam I have to write today (in class)

Bellow I wrote two topics I choose.

1 - Analyze and research an animal. Identify what qualities it has which could transform it into a symbol of some aspect of our condition. If the animal already has symbolic baggage, as it were, find new qualities which could refresh what the animal could or should mean to us.

For the first one I choose the Dolphin / I have done some research an still can come up with an interesting thesis.

2 - Take Garcia Marquez short story as a parable of how legendary figures and mythic heroes are made. How does this parable help you reflect on someone who is considered a hero, especially someone has "grown" in stature after his or her death? Is this process by which someone is transformed through legend into a hero--a kind of collective madness or delusion, or is it, on the contrary, a process that is necessary for maintaining the health and unity of a group (be it a village, a people, or a nation)

Ok...sorry for making you read this crap but I am desperate and stock. I can't fucking think.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Issel

Originally posted by sotuchick

I am stock trying to come up with a thesis statement for a essay exam I have to write today (in class)

1 - Analyze and research an animal. Identify what qualities it has which could transform it into a symbol of some aspect of our condition. If the animal already has symbolic baggage, as it were, find new qualities which could refresh what the animal could or should mean to us.

For this I choose the Dolphin / I have done some research an still can come up with an intersting thesis.

Issel

Forget the Dolphin...choose the Cow instead and use this for your thesis...

attachment.php?s=&postid=25879

Originally posted by sotuchick

I am stock trying to come up with a thesis statement for an essay exam I have to write today (in class)

For the first one I choose the Dolphin / I have done some research an still can come up with an interesting thesis.

2 - Take Garcia Marquez short story as a parable of how legendary figures and mythic heroes are made. How does this parable help you reflect on someone who is considered a hero, especially someone has "grown" in stature after his or her death? Is this process by which someone is transformed through legend into a hero--a kind of collective madness or delusion, or is it, on the contrary, a process that is necessary for maintaining the health and unity of a group (be it a village, a people, or a nation)

Ok...sorry for making you read this crap but I am desperate and stock. I can't fucking think.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Issel

do you have to write abouth both...or do you have to chose one?

let me know

Dolphin Communication

Bottle-nosed dolphins dominate many marine acts because of their intelligence and researchers believe much of the dolphin's brain is used for communication or "echolocation".

While it is not known if dolphins have a formal language, they do communicate with a signature whistle to identify themselves.

Unlike humans, dolphins lack vocal cords, but they do use a complicated system of whistles, squeaks, moans, trills and clicks produced by sphincter muscles within the blow hole.

Using echolocation, or sonar, dolphins send out frequencies by clicking. The clicking sounds bounce off objects and the returning sound waves are picked up by the dolphin's bulbous forehead and lower jaw and interpreted as to distance, size and shape of object.

This sound system is particularly useful at night or in murky waters such as the Delaware Bay as it allows the dolphin to navigate even if visibility is poor.

Dolphins have produced sound frequencies from 0.25 to 200 kHz, using the higher frequencies for echolocation and the lower frequencies for communication and orientation.

dolphinface.JPEG

Originally posted by funketeer

do you have to write abouth both...or do you have to chose one?

let me know

I have to have both ready b/c one of them will be elimininated...

The topic about dolphins is I feel would be easier for me...

Hope you can come up with something before 5:00pm

Thank you.

The Relationship between Humans and Dolphins

Many cases of humans interacting with dolphins, both positively and negatively, exist. Humans have slaughtered millions of dolphins in the name of wealth, while other humans have tried to save them. Dolphins have been kept in captivity, causing a great deal of controversy over the ethical implications of such activities as research and performance. This section discusses three major issues regarding the relationship between humans and dolphins: threats, conservation, and dolphins in captivity.

Dolphins in Captivity

Whether or not it is ethical to keep dolphins in captivity and train them to perform in front of audiences is a source of much debate. Some believe that forcing dolphins to perform is degrading and humiliating, while others argue that many of the behaviors that dolphins demonstrate when performing are part of their natural repertoires, and that they are naturally gregarious and acrobatic animals. This page discusses the issues of dolphins in captivity and explains some of the debate behind it.

Intelligence and Language

Dolphins are highly intelligent creatures, and there are people who even believe that dolphins are intellectually equivalent to human beings, if not superior. To underline this common belief, the sophisticated medium of communication in dolphins has mystified many researchers. This section allows you to explore the intellectual world of dolphins.

Navigation and Echolocation

Dolphins have a very handy navigation method using sonar. With this apparatus, dolphins can navigate through the sea with ease, despite their handicap in sight. In this section, there will be clear explanation to how this sonar works, and how it is used.

Playfulness of the Dolphin

We know all about the playfulness of dolphins. Dolphins like to play a lot, and we are glad they do. Take a look at a dolphinarium, and you will understand. In this section, you can find out about the different activities and games that dolphins often indulge in. Video clips are available for some of the games that they play.

Social Intercourse and Communication

Dolphins are sociable, friendly animals who enjoy companionship a great deal. This is why they live in big groups and exhibits amiability. Here, we will find out how dolphins interact and live with each other. In addition, we will also examine the interaction and communication between dolphins and humans and find out the underlying problems with human-dolphin relationship.

Its probably too late but the first thing that comes too mind when you say dolphin is there commimcation skills through sonar. But in the first paragraph it tells you to stay clear of 'symbolic baggage' which might mean not to talk about the obvious. I would try a different aspect for a better grade because its kind of predictable what your going to explain. Just my advice- Good Luck!!!!