Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Haven't posted here in a while, but I have a ?

Hi every-1.

Haven't posted on the health & Fitness board in a while, but I have a question.

Yesterday I did my body fat test and it came out to 20%. I'm 24, 5'4" and weigh b/w 132-134. The guy told me this was okay, but I don't buy it. I want better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the way I look or anything, but I would like to improve it a bit more u know?

OH yeah, and the guy also told me that the soft fat means that the body is already using/burning that fat? Something about how if it were hard fat that it means my body is not burning it? Does any-1 know anything ab this?

He said the the standard for women is to have b/w 18-24% was done tons of years ago and for women who were taller than me. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is..are there any new standards out there now for ladies my age? What should I be aiming for???

Also, my friend told me that his test might not have been too accurate b/c he did it w/the plastic tongs (or whatever you call those things). Will I get a more accurate result with the metal ones??

And last, but not least, how can I lower my body fat??? I eat well...I train at least 5 days a week doing both cardio and weights on these days...and I am just not sure what else to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance guys & gals!!!

Man, that was alot of questions. Where should I start.

First of all, body fat instruments are meant to be used as a guide and should in no way be compared to anybody elses body fat except your own. They can be 30 to 40% off, depending on the instrument and/or person doing the measurements.

If you want to use this as a method of checking your body fat, then you must use the same instrument, the same person, the same technique, ect........ and only compare the percent different and do not worry what the percent says.

Better idea, look in the mirror or take a picture, neither of these ever lie and are 100% accurate.

As far as fat burners, you probably don't need them.

What is your diet and training like now???

Nautica

Hey there, Nautica :) Thanks 4 the response...some interesting points there on the actual testing. I'm not sure what you meant by the percent difference though...do you mean comparing, let's say, one month's test results to another's? If so, then I understand..if not..then I dont! lol

As far as looking in the mirror...I have seen a difference...I definitely see myself as much more toned than what I was before. I have always been into sports and working out and the whole bit, but now more than ever I think. I'm sure you know how it is though....you always want to improve. At least I do.

As far as working out....I work out at least 5 times a week. I do cardio and abs everyday (sometimes I'll do abs every other day depending on how sore I am) and then I usually start off my week with legs and chest...then back, bi's, and tri's....then legs and shoulders (I break legs into two days b/c if not I am just not inspired to do them)...and I just continue the cycle like that. Do you recommend something different?

As for diet...I do the whole eating 5-6 meals a day with higher protein than carbs and I try to eat minimal to no carbs at night. I also started (as of last week) to cut my drinking down to the weekends only.

Let me know what u think! I know 20% isn't all that bad...and I also know that once girls go down to 18% or lower that we are running the risk of messing up our menstruation cycle...but I'd still like your or any-1 else on here's advice ;)

To your first questioin - Yes, compare week to week your percentage to see that it is either increasing or decreasing - the actual numbers do no matter.

Once again, you said you know that 20% is not bad. Most likely you are not 20%, if you are it is a pure coincidence, b/c those measurements are by no means acurate. Forget about what he said your bodyfat percent is. It is not correct and does not matter anyway.

The mirror is what counts. So long as you are improving, keep doing what you are doing. Once you get to a plateau, then you can look for advise or can change what you are doing. Until then, keep up the good work.

Nautica

I would venture to guess, that you are not extremely advanced in your training. Stick with the basics. For now, keep doing what you are doing, but raise the intensity level. Increase the weight or get that extra rep. Add a spotter to your routine so that you can go to full exhaustion on each of your last reps.

Nautica

YOur guess is wrong. I work out with a spotter, on my own, or with my BF. I've been working out for quite some time now too. On and off (at an actual gym) since I was 17 and completely on again now for a year.

I change my routine as soon as it gets stale and I don't feel as sore anymore. I super-set, I increase weight, I lower weight and do higher reps, do different excersises...etc etc.

I'm just looking for a really good (read: leaves u hurtin') workout rountine now.

I guess you are right though in that I don't leave as tired all the time as I could/should.

Originally posted by sunnyhost

YOur guess is wrong. I work out with a spotter, on my own, or with my BF. I've been working out for quite some time now too. On and off (at an actual gym) since I was 17 and completely on again now for a year.

I change my routine as soon as it gets stale and I don't feel as sore anymore. I super-set, I increase weight, I lower weight and do higher reps, do different excersises...etc etc.

I'm just looking for a really good (read: leaves u hurtin') workout rountine now.

I guess you are right though in that I don't leave as tired all the time as I could/should.

By advanced in your training, I meant 10 years or so of training and possibly even a bodybuilding competitor. Most train their entire life and should never get away from the basics.

The intenisty level I speak of is probably something you have never felt. Your very last rep will be almost impossible to lift, actually it will be impossible. Each time you work out add weight to the lift if you were able to lift it previously, if not then make sure and get the last rep and add one more.

90% of fatique is in peoples head, we hold ourselves back, raise the intensity like I said and you will move beyond your plateau.

Nautica

adequation - The act of equalizing; act or result of making adequate; an equivalent.

I was referring tothe equivalent part. Probably not really a syno, but it was all I could think of.

btw - don't take offense to the fact that I said you were not advanced. I have been lifting for 15 years and consider myself to be extremely knowlegable when it comes to training and dieting, but I do NOT consider myself to be advanced, nor do I want to.

Originally posted by elitesnautica

adequation - The act of equalizing; act or result of making adequate; an equivalent.

I was referring tothe equivalent part. Probably not really a syno, but it was all I could think of.

"I see", said the blind man to the deaf man ;) lol :tongue:

Originally posted by elitesnautica

btw - don't take offense to the fact that I said you were not advanced. I have been lifting for 15 years and consider myself to be extremely knowlegable when it comes to training and dieting, but I do NOT consider myself to be advanced, nor do I want to.

Nah I actually don't take any offense to it at all...when I read my post over again though I can see why you may have thought that. You can never really tell emotions on a computer:blank:

Thank you for your advice though..it's true...so many times I leave the gym thinking...wow, that was good...I bet I'm gonna be so sore tomorrow and the day after! But nope, I guess it's in my head like u said...'Now I'm 'really going to try concentraing on getting through that mental stuff! ;)