Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Need help with my workout routine...

GLopez

I'll give you a breakdown of everything that I do:

These are the exercises that I include in my workout: vertical chess press, pec contractor, standing arm curl, upright row, lat pulldown (front), and seated mid-row.

I do reps of 12, 10, 8, and 6 in each set. I add weight for every set of reps by 10 lbs. and depending on which exercise, sometimes 15lbs. I know to push myself until I "burnout" mostly on the 6x rep. After my workout I usually do a cardio of walking for 15 min. and jogging for 30 mins (3 mi. total). On the days that I don't lift, I will still do my cardio (most of the time).

I take creatine called "Creatine Stack" from a local company called NTS Tecnologies. I follow the instructions taking one scoop 15 min. before workout and two scoops after workout, and do not take it on non-workout days. I also take about 6 scoops (wake-up, after workout, before bed) of Designer Whey Protein Powder.

I have several questions about my workouts:

Should I be doing anymore exercises? My total time on the machine is about 48 mins.......

Should I continue to take my protein powder on the days that I don't lift?

Damnit, my mind went blank....

Should I take more time off between workouts? I workout just about every other day and know that the muscles build from the "recovery" process. When I do workout again I can easily match the previous workout, and continue until I "burnout". Somedays, it's not that easy though....

What is the quickest way to get rid of this layer of fat, that's surrounding this gorgeous six-pack? Probably an inch and half maybe a little less...

What am I forgetting to do? Do I need to add anything or adjust anything?

I know that there are previous threads asking the same questions, but I broke it down for my workout. I've never worked out before and have never had a personal trainer. I just got on the machine and started doing some of the exercises that I though I might need to do. I also drink as much water as I can.

I only have about 11 workouts under my belt, so I'm still getting started. People have told me (without me mentioning it) that I look as thought I've been working out a little. I'm guessing that I'm at least doing something right!!

Thanks for your help and your time.

GLopez

Here's a few suggestions:

1) Add some exrecises that focus on your triceps, abs and lower body. You're totally missing that in the exercises you stated.

2) Upright row is a decent shoulder exercise, but get more basic than that......do overhead shoulder presses.

3) Cardio is good, but make sure your diet is clean. Cut carbs, and the ones you do take, make sure they're quality. Wholes grains, foods high in fiber, etc...

4) Make sure you get lots of protein everyday, not just the days you workout.

5) Your progress will be much faster if you get used to training with free weights and not solely with machines.

There's a few things that need to be addressed.

Are you doing these exercises every other day? If so that's not good....it's overtraining. You need more rest in between working specific body parts. Try working each body part once every 5-7 days. So try a routine like this:

Day 1: Chest, triceps, abs

Day 2: Off

Day 3: Back, biceps

Day 4: Off

Day 5: Shoulders, legs

Day 6: Off

REPEAT

Do 8-12 sets per body part

Just a simple example

It would also help to know if you have a specific fitness goal.

Thanks for the info!! My specific fitness goal is to tone myself up. I'm not looking to be a body builder, just to be fit and toned.

I use the machine instead of free-weights, because that's what I have at home. Convenience I guess, but I'll start trying to hit the free's as well.

"Do 8-12 sets per body part." A set is my 12, 10, 8, 6 reps isn't it?? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this stuff ( ??? ) Can you help me on that one??

Also, I still do cardio on my days off, right?

Thanks again for your help!!

Cardio can only help get you toned, so cardio on off days would be good........But if you're concerned about bulking up to a certain weight, or even acheiving big strength gains, it could be potentially detrimental.

The more frequent you engage in cardiovascular activity, the quicker your resting metabolic rate gets....which is crucial when trying to shed fat.

Also don't overlook the dietary aspect of your fitness endeavor.