Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Howells' last set at Arc (NYC)

southof5th

I happened to find myself in New York this past weekend and flipping through Time Out I see that Howells is in town and it's his last set at Arc (which is to be closed to give way for condos).

I went there from 5am to 9.30am and let me tell you that must have been one the best sets I have heard of all time.

Progressive and tech bombs one after the other....extraordinary mixing, track selection, everything...just blew me away

Then 7.30ish comes a half hour of simply epic breaks, I normally hate breaks but these were breaks for the 4/4 crowd, then back into the 4/4 with more pounding beats

crowd was a bit scuzzy, but this crowd was there for Howells and it showed, real music appreciation going on.

The sound was amazing, not too loud, clear and crisp, but with enough push for you to really feel it.

At this venue DH can play what he wants and the crowd really responds.. It seems like in Miami (Space) house DJs in the main room seem to feel they have to bang it out hard for the crowd all night long...

As a bonus Arc got a temp liquor license so nothing like 4-5 vrb for breakfast!

The best comparison for Miami peeps, Arc's main room is a lot like the old Space main room, dark, lots of strobes, and a lot of smoke

I hope one day Miami can develop this kind of relationship with a DJ. There was a big white sheet with "We love you Danny" taped in front of the DJ booth that people were signing throughout the night. When Danny got it he waved it around and wrapped it around his shoulders like a cape.

I love what we have in Miami and I do think people know what they like but I can't really see too many people care in the end who really comes and goes.

peace

Yeah, they frisk you there, but not too bad, I guess I look pretty harmless.

I read on the NY board that the line was around the block earlier in the night. When I got there 5.30 or so there was noone outside, but it was filled to capacity inside.

I saw Howells @ Arc this past December, definately one of my best club nights ever! He went on around 1:30 with some 24:7 Day Disc type stuff, once 3 am hit, he kicked it into full gear, minimal, tech, bomb after bomb...and was still going strong when I left around 6:00, absolutely flawless. I was really impressed by the light display as well.

Ahh...the memories. Your review is bringing em back.

Some points throuhout there'd be nothing but the 4/4 kick drum with a strobe, measure after measure Boom/flash...boom/flash...boom/flash...then he'd mix in some twisted acapella or something

I love that shit.

Originally posted by Bling

howells ugh

glad u liked it though . not my cup of tea :lol lol

He played some tracks that would have made any trance dj green of envy...

He played some vocals that had the whole place singing along, remarkable how versatile he is

Originally posted by southof5th

I happened to find myself in New York this past weekend and flipping through Time Out I see that Howells is in town and it's his last set at Arc (which is to be closed to give way for condos).

I went there from 5am to 9.30am and let me tell you that must have been one the best sets I have heard of all time.

Progressive and tech bombs one after the other....extraordinary mixing, track selection, everything...just blew me away

Then 7.30ish comes a half hour of simply epic breaks, I normally hate breaks but these were breaks for the 4/4 crowd, then back into the 4/4 with more pounding beats

crowd was a bit scuzzy, but this crowd was there for Howells and it showed, real music appreciation going on.

The sound was amazing, not too loud, clear and crisp, but with enough push for you to really feel it.

At this venue DH can play what he wants and the crowd really responds.. It seems like in Miami (Space) house DJs in the main room seem to feel they have to bang it out hard for the crowd all night long...

As a bonus Arc got a temp liquor license so nothing like 4-5 vrb for breakfast!

The best comparison for Miami peeps, Arc's main room is a lot like the old Space main room, dark, lots of strobes, and a lot of smoke

I hope one day Miami can develop this kind of relationship with a DJ. There was a big white sheet with "We love you Danny" taped in front of the DJ booth that people were signing throughout the night. When Danny got it he waved it around and wrapped it around his shoulders like a cape.

I love what we have in Miami and I do think people know what they like but I can't really see too many people care in the end who really comes and goes.

peace

Dam I hope he plays like that when he spins here,where I found his sets uhhh just ok. :cool: