Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Protein in beef

nocfgs

Anyone know how much protein there is in beef. I have never seen a nutrition facts on the package. Also I heard to gain musscle mass you should increase your protien to one gram per pound of body weight. Any one know if this is true?

Originally posted by nocfgs

Anyone know how much protein there is in beef. I have never seen a nutrition facts on the package. Also I heard to gain musscle mass you should increase your protien to one gram per pound of body weight. Any one know if this is true?

if you are working out i think its about 1.2 - 1.5 pro per body weight. not 100% about that though

So thanks for the heads up ....

Yeah went to an LA costco .... we dont have the 7% :( but we have 12% but the trick was I checked with the butcher and it was really 10% (law is it has to be under 12).... bought it ... really exceptional.

Thanks again for the advice

On a gram to gram basis I'm not exactly sure how beef protein breaks down.

On the biological value scale (BV) it rates in at about 80. Here's a quick rundown on BV #'s for a few protein sources:

Protein Biological Values (BV)

Whey Protein 104

Whole Egg 88 - 100

Egg White (Albumin) 88

Fish 83

Beef 80

Chicken 79 (Turkey is just slightly higher I believe)

Casein 80

Soy Protein Concentrate 74

Wheat Gluten 54

Beans 49

BV basically rates how efficiently and quickly a particular protein is absorbed by the body.

Originally posted by ou812

On a gram to gram basis I'm not exactly sure how beef protein breaks down.

On the biological value scale (BV) it rates in at about 80. Here's a quick rundown on BV #'s for a few protein sources:

Protein Biological Values (BV)

Whey Protein 104

Whole Egg 88 - 100

Egg White (Albumin) 88

Fish 83

Beef 80

Chicken 79 (Turkey is just slightly higher I believe)

Casein 80

Soy Protein Concentrate 74

Wheat Gluten 54

Beans 49

BV basically rates how efficiently and quickly a particular protein is absorbed by the body.

Thats a great resource what you posted! Awesome.

The thang is with some people - at least for me - I've found that *** egg white and whey protein in the evenings is best rather than other items that feel heavier -- totally sware by it . I leave consuming of the beefs and chickens to the rest of the day.

Beef is a very slow digesting protein so it takes some time for it to get broken down, so it's good to satiate yourself with, and actually good at night because since it digests slowly, the amino acids in it will be taken up by your body for a long period of time in to the night.

Whey protein get absorbed in about 30-45 minutes, very quick, not a very good protein source to take right before bed to last you through the night.