Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Commercial Banking question HELP!

you need to take the net income (before extraordinary gains/losses, i assume) and divide it by the number of diluted shares outstanding.

diluted shares is taking the number of common shares outstanding and "cleaning it out" of stock options, etc via the treasury stock method. you can get the information for the stock options in the management and discussion analysis portion of a financial statement from a company (10K). based on the strike prices being either "in/out of the money" is how you get to the number of shares that should be cleaned out of the common shares outstanding.

why in the world do you need to know this? :confused:

Originally posted by kitty19

you need to take the net income (before extraordinary gains/losses, i assume) and divide it by the number of diluted shares outstanding.

diluted shares is taking the number of common shares outstanding and "cleaning it out" of stock options, etc via the treasury stock method. you can get the information for the stock options in the management and discussion analysis portion of a financial statement from a company (10K). based on the strike prices being either "in/out of the money" is how you get to the number of shares that should be cleaned out of the common shares outstanding.

why in the world do you need to know this? :confused:

Because I had a commercial banking exam today. I think I figured it out during the exam actually. I know diluted earnings per share was converting the prefered into common but I wasnt sure what to do next. I figured out the number of convertible shares and then added that to the number of shares of c.s. and then divided net income for c.s. by the new number of shares. Well I think thats right?? Oh well the exam is over

Originally posted by nympho69

Because I had a commercial banking exam today. I think I figured it out during the exam actually. I know diluted earnings per share was converting the prefered into common but I wasnt sure what to do next. I figured out the number of convertible shares and then added that to the number of shares of c.s. and then divided net income for c.s. by the new number of shares. Well I think thats right?? Oh well the exam is over

that seems to be right......only if the new number of shares was greater than the old one (which since you are only dealing with preferred stock that is highly unlikely)