Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Quick Advice Please..

GLopez

Let's say I do arm curls (reps - lbs ) at 12 - 70lbs, 10 - 80lbs, 8 - 90lbs, and 6 - 100lbs. When I get to my (8-90lbs.) but can only do 6 of the eight reps, should I still bump up to (6-100lbs) next? Or should I do the next at (6-90lbs.) since I couldn't complete the prior task?

Thanks for your help!

I'd say yes, despite the fact that you will unlikely get your 6 reps. Even 3 or 4 reps would be fine, provided you maintain decent form when performing the set.

Pushing yourself with heavier weight will lend a greater degree of intensity to your workout.

Working in a 2-4 rep range for arms is not really productive. Powerlifters work in low rep ranges. I've never known arms to be responsive to such a low rep range. In order to make biceps grow you need a deep and intense pump, which isn't going to happen with 3 or 4 reps.

Drop the weight sufficiently to keep it in the 6-12 rep range if your goal is new muscle growth.

Originally posted by ou812

Working in a 2-4 rep range for arms is not really productive. Powerlifters work in low rep ranges. I've never known arms to be responsive to such a low rep range. In order to make biceps grow you need a deep and intense pump, which isn't going to happen with 3 or 4 reps.

Drop the weight sufficiently to keep it in the 6-12 rep range if your goal is new muscle growth.

Also true -- low reps is good for raw strength but not as much for size (though some size will come from it, not as much as the 8-12 range).

If all you want is size, you might want to check out Hypertrophy-Specific Training. You train through a variety of rep ranges, never to failure, and supposedly make some great size gains.

True, but who the hell trains arms for pure strength purposes? It's not a powerlifting movement. Never seen anyone use superheavy poundages for 2 -3 reps of barbell curls unless they were trying to show off, which ultimately looks stupid when you do it simply for bi's.........IMHO.

My last set of reps is usually x6, unless I can't hit the x6, then I usually end it until failure. But, I'll drop my weights enough to hit my x6.

Thanks for your help guys. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm kind of new to this and learning as I go.

Originally posted by ou812

True, but who the hell trains arms for pure strength purposes? It's not a powerlifting movement. Never seen anyone use superheavy poundages for 2 -3 reps of barbell curls unless they were trying to show off, which ultimately looks stupid when you do it simply for bi's.........IMHO.

Amazingly enough, there are people who do this regularly. Read up on super-slow heavy duty training sometime.

Originally posted by GLopez

Thanks for your help guys. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, since I'm kind of new to this and learning as I go.

Go here and read: http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html

Things to focus on:

- Diet

- Training frequency

- Training duration

- Exercise selection

- Correct form (esp. squat and deadlift)

Don't worry about supplements right now, other than protein powders. Just put together a reasonable program and stick with it for a while. Keep a log and track your improvements.

Good luck!

Originally posted by GLopez

Let's say I do arm curls (reps - lbs ) at 12 - 70lbs, 10 - 80lbs, 8 - 90lbs, and 6 - 100lbs. When I get to my (8-90lbs.) but can only do 6 of the eight reps, should I still bump up to (6-100lbs) next? Or should I do the next at (6-90lbs.) since I couldn't complete the prior task?

Thanks for your help!

holy crap, is this a SAT question or something:confused:

Originally posted by howardstone

holy crap, is this a SAT question or something:confused:

Looks like one now that I look at it!!

Thanks for the link Rackham. I take creatine and protein powder and do keep a chart. And have actually made some good progress, on paper and physically!!