Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lights at Privledge

Guest djgringousa

Originally posted by pod

Privilege has a full time LD, Greg who used to work at Space about a year ago...not for nothing, but the club and more specifically the LD have been mentioned in national trade publications.

werd...Greg can work those lights...when Greg is up there, i have no complaints...

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by ronnyvand

hi pod,

I am actually dj and producing in canada now, no more lights for me

rony, good to see you are still alive. I've seen you dj a couple times, and shockly you were pretty damm good...

Originally posted by djgringousa

i went to see layo and bushwacka and i like the club....real cool and underground..

but the lights fuckin sucked!!!!!

every program in the lights are set to flash...so the club was strobbing the whole night

someone has to get in there and sort that out...

it is really annoying after a while

sometimes it is nice to have slight movment or no lights at all........

i love privilege overall but my only gripe is the strobes at times. it was only bad once . when i went to see mazi

sometimes that strobe can give you a really weird feeling that complements the music.... but if it's done too much it gets annoying, also depends on how f**d up the light guy is, and what on, I'm sure there are certain substances that may seriously impair one's judgement of how much strobing is appropriate for any given situation

Originally posted by saintjohn

how about a martin 2518?

well the 2518 u can do all your programming on light Jockey and upload them to the 2518. only thing is that it doesn't hold fade times and tricks. Not like a club would use timming in a dance club enviorment. thats more for shows and theaters.

Martin came out with a Wireless Controller addon. Very cool shit.

At the LDI the entire outside of the place had over 200 fixtures and all being controlled wireless from the hotel across the street on the 12 Floor room.

unfortunately, the 2518 only offers 30 separate 6-scene patterns. programming it with lightjockey would be a bit of a waste, especially since you can't use macros. at least the six faders allow instant control over color, gobo, speed, pan, tilt, and intensity (strobe) for up to 12 different fixtures. not bad for a cheap board, as long as the club has an enthusiastic and creative operator.

i'll definitely check out that wireless controller you mentioned.

Originally posted by saintjohn

btw, care to comment on the martin freekie for small-venue applications? some people swear by it, but i just swear at it. should i give it another chance?

I don't like it in combo with the lightjockey,

its all in what u like, I use Light Jokey alot and I rather latch my cues and programs to the hot keys then using the matrix controller.

Light Jockey is a very powerful tool. any thing from a small event to a large scale production.

alot of people don't take the time to learn it since there is really no printed manual on it, it has alot of features that some people don't have an idea that its within the program.

People sometimes tell me why light jockey over Hog... well 1st for the line of work that I do, I only have 1 hour if that to program and do my cues. Moble Production is not really the place for a hog PC that takes u like 3 hours to set it up and patch all the fixtures.

with LJ I can setup, patch and have about 60 programs done well within 1 hour. Freekie I haven't been about to use, I have used the PC one that comes with the new LightJockey software, but its just like a hog board to me. same concept.

So its like Martins version of HOG.. thats all so maybe that why people swear to it.

One of my briend is a dealer for Martin and we get to play with alot of the demo gear.

You should see this new Mac250 with a 250 mW laser in it, very nice, and all the new fixtures are great. the mac 250 Krypton look like its a 575 fixture, very bring and fast moving.

Pod saw them in action this weekend at Flips party. I took 3 and it was tooooo bright, I had to run at about 11% intensty.