Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DC Review

groovefire

This past weekend’s was one of the best times I’ve ever had, straight up. It literally rivaled WMC trips. Everyone everywhere was cool and friendly. All the clubs and bars were packed from start to finish. Drinks were reasonable everywhere. Girls are FAR more forward down there too, almost annoyingly so, “Look, I’m here for the music, not to meet attractive girls, go talk to him, his name is Stymie.†Bottomline assessment, DC owns Boston/Providence.

Friday night, we hit up FIVE. This club is so stupid DOPE, smokes anything we have up here. First floor has a bar, a VIP area and the main dance floor. Second floor has another bar, a sitting area and balcony which hang over the dancefloor. Then there’s a rooftop patio the size of the whole club, tropical themed with fake grass flooring, palapa roofed bars and a reggae DJ. So sick. If you go to DC, do not skip club FIVE. Anyway, we had a solid crew about 20 strong or so. We walked in a little before 12. The DJ was playing late ‘80s/early ‘90s hip hop, and truthfully, we were lovin it. He eventually switched it up to house which led to DFUSE, who took over at 1. D rocked it, one of the best sets I’ve ever heard him or anyone for that matter play. He’ll pop you with hard progressive then drops it down with a trancey vocal track while keeping the energy level right where he wants it, then work back to the prog. He’s a true pro, I learn a lot every time I see him play. After D, Ray Kang and Barrett Atwood closed the night down with some banging tribal, afterhours kind of shit. Not for the weak of heart. FIVE closes 5, though they stop serving booze at 3. Afterwards, we went to Ray Kang’s place with the whole crew. We almost bought some crack from these dudes out front, just to say we bought crack in DC, but decided not to just in case. I mean how can you explain you were only buying the crack as a joke? Good times over at Ray’s continued well into the daylight.

Saturday we hung out over at our buddy John’s place, his building is redic sick, has a rooftop pool and patio area with BBQ’s. Later that day we accidentally stumbled into a gay bar during happy hour, but that’s another story for another time. For now all I will say is the drinks were cheap and I got a great pic of Stymie. :)

Saturday night, after a Bertucci’s pastapalooza, we hit up Andalu. Great little spot, directly next door to FIVE. It’s Sullivan Room size, prob a bit smaller. Very good sound system, great DJ booth. Resident Royce Haven was playing when we got there. That kid is good, and hilarious, bouncing around the joint all night long. I was lucky to have ten percent the energy he had. We have every intention of including him in a gig up this way very soon. We played from 11 to 3, started things deep, worked to funky, to proggy/trancey, back to funky, then to Hoska (which is it’s only genre really). We had an AWESOME crowd, very responsive and into everything the whole night. We met some of the coolest people ever, from other DJs to clubbers to staff. We’d DEF love to come back and play there again.

Today is rough, but it was well worth the trip. DC parties, go see for yourself.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome trip. Five has got one of the best vibes on the East coast hands down. D:Fuse owned. Ray Kang, Royce and crew are awesome dudes and really solid DJs.

hoska and i spent WAAAAY too much time in Delaware...

other than that - definitely look forward to a return trip

know a great place for $3 bloody mary's...