Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What happened to NERVE?

sobe2003

Like I said, they have to do what they have to do to pay the rent. It is just a damn shame, they started out with potential to be a haven from the crap infestation, but unfortunately in the end it got run over.

Every so often, someone asks me whether they should open a club in South Beach, and my answer is a resounding "hell no"!

Change isn't always good, either. Ask anyone who was in Germany during the 1930s.

I don't think anyone is opposed to them or any other club making money. What I think people are opposed to is them making money by going with the lowest common denominator and having a hip hop party.

In the end though, they have to pay the bills.

I think Nerve is sort of an indicator of what South Beach has become, which is a haven for tourists and other undesireable people. Aside from a few holdouts like Privilege, crobar, and Cafeteria, there's not much to be found in the way of quality entertainment on the beach anymore. It has gone to the fubu crowd.

It is all about downtown in the end.

Privilege has a hip hop party on Fridays too. :gang:

if a significant amount of people where supporting venues; that cater to the type of music they prefer. then there would be no need for clubs, to have to resort to other segments of the nightlife community. clubs will cater to the audience that makes them money. whether people approve of that audience is irrelevant, and almost laughable. the audience with most SUPPORT will always win out in the end. those are the breaks!

if you think hip-hop will never make its way downtown, your living in fantasy land. it's already arrived ! :)

I'm not saying downtown is a sanctuary from hip-hop. Space has their room, and Nocturnal will have a hip-hop night (though with DJ Craze) once a week.

What I'm saying about downtown is I don't see it being overrun with that shit for the time being. A major venue slated to be a hip-hop oriented joint ran into severe problems and won't open for quite some time for one, and the top venue in downtown, scratch that, the top venue in the country is largely dance music oriented...though Space is so large they can cater to both crowds with little problem.

Though in the end I see the beach taking the lion's share of the hip-hop crowd, and most dance music oriented venues being set up downtown. Rent is cheaper and you can afford to experiment.

Jokes aside, Nerve is alright, it's a neighborhood club, totally harmless to their competition, if they want to have Mariachi Night, I think they should, without having to answer questions about artistic integrity or any of that kind of bullshit, we live in a capitalist society and each business owner is entitled to do what'll take to cover expenses, pay all their employes and ultimately leave some overhead for play and growth...if it's hip-hop and they rake in the "Fubu Crowd" So-be-it...who cares?

See, here's my deal about the "artistic integrity". Nerve talked a LOT of smack about the other clubs and business practices on the beach when they first opened. They were all about how they were going to be different and "nerve-y". How they were going to bust out the EDM and show everybody how it is done. How everybody else was doing it wrong and they were going to show the way. I mean, a LOOOOOOOOT of smack talk. And now look. I think they owe some people some apologies. Maybe they were wrong after all. That's all I'm saying. I mean, do what you have to, but don't insult others for doing the same.

So true,

I made my living for 4 years off of bringing in "cool" events. All of the "cool" people are too cool to pay cover. The people that own cheesy clubs make 5 times more money, and have 1/2 of the stress of the so called "cool" establishments.

You may have the hottest spot in town for a few months but the trendy people have ZERO loyalty. You comp them, buy them drinks, and produce world class events for them, and they are still GONE when the next, newest, IN spot opens up a couple of months later. The real money in the bar biz is in the mainstream.... very sad to me, but true.

Totally. Most of the mainstream places don't charge cover, but make a killing on drinks and so forth. I get spammed all the time from places like Club Deep and various hip-hop parties. They get a huge crowd which drinks a lot, so they make ends meet for sure.

I remember those days...Nerve was gonna change the clubbing world. Supposedly based on some club Rudolph Piper was at during the 1980s (Area I think...), they were going to do stuff like change decor every month, be all "nerve-y" and such...that didn't last though...now it comes down to they are doing hip-hop events.

But in the end I don't see that going too far either. 23rd Street is just a bad location...People aren't gonna walk all the way over there for a hip-hop party, when there's one just like it right on Washington.

Nerve brought in quality acts, many of which had not played here before or had limited exposure... now since they have decided to cater to an audience; which actually spends money and is loyal they get bashed on CP. you want quality entertainment, when it’s brought in you don’t support it. Nerve does a quality party on Sunday, Space and Privilege do quality parties every Saturday, and Cafeteria does a great party on wednesday. the CP turnout at these parties is minimal at best.

CP represents less then 1% of the people; which actually support venues around town. Yet, CP does the most whining and chastising... the mainstream controls the scene. the club owners and radio stations know it; unfortunately CP hasn’t quite figured it out yet. so the beat goes on and on...

Sobeton,

It is the same all over the country. The people use messageboards as a bitch board (sorry to those of you who don't.) In Ohio, I would bring in a PVD,Deep Dish, Danny Howells, Lawler, etc. etc. Promote the hell out of it, bring in extra sound, dancers, decor, drink specials, and basically everything possible to create a world-class event, and people would get online the next day (those that actually went) and find 1-2 things to bitch about. NOTHING is ever good enough...it is just the nature of the beast.

But on a positive note, messageboards are a very cost effective way to promote an event!

CP represents less then 1% of the people; which actually support venues around town. Yet, CP does the most whining and chastising... the mainstream controls the scene. the club owners and radio stations know it; unfortunately CP hasn’t quite figured it out yet. so the beat goes on and on...
Actually, that is basically my point. Some club owners know that the hardcore folks like on CP/J & TA are only a very small portion of the total audience. So, they cater to the mass public with stuff we don't like so much. And the Nerve folks smacked the other clubs around because of it. They thought they were so much smarter and were going to show everyone else how to do it right. And now Nerve is doing the same thing. Is that hypocrisy? Not really. They just learned their lesson. But I do think it would be cool for them to publicly retract some of their earlier statements.

As far as messageboards being the only places that people bitch, that's utter bullshit. They are just more accessible. On CP, I can bitch to 1000 people, whereas if I do it just to my friends, I can only hit a dozen or so. But, people bitch all the time, both on and off the board. And I don't see anything wrong with that, honestly.

And bitching is not the only thing that goes on here. Ever read any of Bling's reviews? They are almost always positive (I think he just knows how to pick good events). And you will often see lots of positive postings following those. I know I often post positive reviews, when I have a positive experience. Check some of mine. You'll see it is not all bitching.

But, honestly, I do *not* think that the problem was that it is impossible to survive on primarily good EDM acts. I think the problem was just that they were underfunded. They need a *lot* more capital to pour into to get it to go properly. Unfortunately, they didn't have it and so not enough people showed up.

See, here's my deal about the "artistic integrity". Nerve talked a LOT of smack about the other clubs and business practices on the beach when they first opened. They were all about how they were going to be different and "nerve-y". How they were going to bust out the EDM and show everybody how it is done. How everybody else was doing it wrong and they were going to show the way. I mean, a LOOOOOOOOT of smack talk. And now look. I think they owe some people some apologies. Maybe they were wrong after all. That's all I'm saying. I mean, do what you have to, but don't insult others for doing the same.

YOU MUST BE KIDDING RIGHT? IN 16 MONTHS NERVE BROUGHT YOU 56 TOP 100 DJ'S, NUMEROUS AMAZING PARTIES, A TUESDAY COYOTES THAT EVERYONE TRIED TO COPY AND FAILED, A SUNDAY PARTY THAT EVERYONE IS TRYING TO COPY AND HAS FAILED, 4 DIFFERENT COMPLETE DECOR CHANGES AND NEVER SPARED A DIME. THE BOTTOM LINE IS CHEESE AND HIP HOP IS MIAMI BEACH NOW AND THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE. NERVE HAS BEEN CREATIVE SINCE IT OPENED IT'S DOORS BUT THE DJ PARTNERS IT HAD WANTED TO MAKE IT THEIR HANG OUT AND DID NOT THINK ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE REALLY WANTED, INSTEAD THEY TRIED TO MAKE THEMSELVES FAMOUS AND DID IT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE VENUE. SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT NERVE DOES NOT NEED TO APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE FOR TRYING TO BRING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

YOU MUST BE KIDDING RIGHT? IN 16 MONTHS NERVE BROUGHT YOU 56 TOP 100 DJ'S, NUMEROUS AMAZING PARTIES, A TUESDAY COYOTES THAT EVERYONE TRIED TO COPY AND FAILED, A SUNDAY PARTY THAT EVERYONE IS TRYING TO COPY AND HAS FAILED, 4 DIFFERENT COMPLETE DECOR CHANGES AND NEVER SPARED A DIME. THE BOTTOM LINE IS CHEESE AND HIP HOP IS MIAMI BEACH NOW AND THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE. NERVE HAS BEEN CREATIVE SINCE IT OPENED IT'S DOORS BUT THE DJ PARTNERS IT HAD WANTED TO MAKE IT THEIR HANG OUT AND DID NOT THINK ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE REALLY WANTED, INSTEAD THEY TRIED TO MAKE THEMSELVES FAMOUS AND DID IT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE VENUE. SAY WHAT YOU WANT BUT NERVE DOES NOT NEED TO APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE FOR TRYING TO BRING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Why haven't you answered m original post . . . Why are you promoting your "classics night" with an Evite . . .

Hip-Hop I have no problem with - every club has it . . .

Your Sunday party is great . . .

But spend a couple of bucks on promotion and you might get a larger crowd . . .

Why haven't you answered m original post . . . Why are you promoting your "classics night" with an Evite . . .

Hip-Hop I have no problem with - every club has it . . .

Your Sunday party is great . . .

But spend a couple of bucks on promotion and you might get a larger crowd . . .

EVERYONE HAS A HOUSE MUSIC SATURDAY, THEREFORE I WILL LET A PROMOTER DO A CLASSIC NIGHT, IT'S ORIGINAL AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK THE LAST 4 DAYS, THE RADIO IS FLOODED WITH NERVE ADS AND THEY ARE SUPER EXPENSIVE. BIG DJ'S DON'T WORK AT NERVE AND LATELY EVERYONE COPIES EVERYTHING NERVE TRIES TO DO, FROM THE TUESDAY NIGHT COYOTES TO NOW THE SUNDAY PARTY THAT MYNT, STATE, AUTOMATIC SLIMS, JADE AND PRIVILEGE ARE TRYING TO DO. WHY DO YOU THINK THESE PEOPLE CAN'T BE ORIGINAL FOR ONCE AND DO SOMETHING NEW??? WATCH THE CLASSIC'S PARTY OPENING AT EVERY CLUB IN SOUTH BEACH NEXT MONTH.....

Actually, that is basically my point. Some club owners know that the hardcore folks like on CP/J & TA are only a very small portion of the total audience. So, they cater to the mass public with stuff we don't like so much. And the Nerve folks smacked the other clubs around because of it. They thought they were so much smarter and were going to show everyone else how to do it right. And now Nerve is doing the same thing. Is that hypocrisy? Not really. They just learned their lesson. But I do think it would be cool for them to publicly retract some of their earlier statements.

As far as messageboards being the only places that people bitch, that's utter bullshit. They are just more accessible. On CP, I can bitch to 1000 people, whereas if I do it just to my friends, I can only hit a dozen or so. But, people bitch all the time, both on and off the board. And I don't see anything wrong with that, honestly.

And bitching is not the only thing that goes on here. Ever read any of Bling's reviews? They are almost always positive (I think he just knows how to pick good events). And you will often see lots of positive postings following those. I know I often post positive reviews, when I have a positive experience. Check some of mine. You'll see it is not all bitching.

how did I miss this crap? firstly, I never stated "messageboards being the only places that people bitch " you should take some time to comprehend what I wrote, if you’re going to criticize the same. I'll reference it again in it’s entirety below. if you want discuss the relevance of that statement, instead of the nonsense you wrote, then I would more then happy to clarify the same..
Nerve brought in quality acts, many of which had not played here before or had limited exposure... now since they have decided to cater to an audience; which actually spends money and is loyal they get bashed on CP. you want quality entertainment, when it’s brought in you don’t support it. Nerve does a quality party on Sunday, Space and Privilege do quality parties every Saturday, and Cafeteria does a great party on wednesday. the CP turnout at these parties is minimal at best.

btw hypocrisy would imply that you made blatantly false assumptions. successful people always make assumptions and predictions. it's having the ability to change those assumptions and predictions, when needed that truly defines the difference between success and failure. read the quote in my signature.

haha, you guys are a funny lot....

south beach is "now" catering to tourists?? haven't lived here long huh? south beach has ALWAYS catered to tourists...the local waiters, bartenders, and 'artists' sure never made any club here pay their bills...

I've been on the beach since 1994 and there has NEVER been as many 'underground' DJs come here as often as in recent years, mainly because of Nerve, Crobar (as always), Opium, and SPACE. And yes I'm including downtown because if you want it you're only a $10 cab ride away.

Nerve doesn't own anyone a fucking apology, they served up the BIZNIZ for 2 years, including the BEST VENUE with the BEST acts the last WMC.

I would say that you should REALLY be worried if Space closes up shop or changes music format on Saturday nights.

Until then, man, it's not bad at all! I went to Mansion a couple of weeks back and they were blasting up-front house in the main room, a little hip-hop in the back room, tons of people, great party. Blue is still rocking, Crobar fucking still plays TRANCE with EV, now what club does that nowadays, anywhere???

And now Nocturnal is coming up, and I'm pretty sure they won't be a hip-hop focused club.

I'm retired anyway so it's all equal to me

Heh, I think some of my words were misread. I did not say that messageboards were the only places that bitching goes on. I said that there are positive reviews as well as negative on the messageboard.

I said that Nerve did NOT engage in hypocrisy.

I do agree that Nerve has brought down some good stuff in the past. And I have no doubt that they will in the future. I also have no problem with a business changing with the times. That's good business. And I don't really have any problem with hip-hop, per se. All I am saying is that Nerve talked a LOT of smack when it first started. They said they were going to show everybody else how to properly run an EDM club. They implied (or possibly said outright, I don't remember well) that the other clubs did not know what they were doing. Turns out they were wrong. That's all I'm saying.

But you're probably right, I am probably being to harsh on them. I do wish them all the luck, and we'll be out to support as often as we can, just like always.

werd...... though lately lawler and hernan didnt really bring postive reviews from me. but by and large i wil give positive reviews because i believe its deserving.......

EVERYONE HAS A HOUSE MUSIC SATURDAY, THEREFORE I WILL LET A PROMOTER DO A CLASSIC NIGHT, IT'S ORIGINAL AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK THE LAST 4 DAYS, THE RADIO IS FLOODED WITH NERVE ADS AND THEY ARE SUPER EXPENSIVE. BIG DJ'S DON'T WORK AT NERVE AND LATELY EVERYONE COPIES EVERYTHING NERVE TRIES TO DO, FROM THE TUESDAY NIGHT COYOTES TO NOW THE SUNDAY PARTY THAT MYNT, STATE, AUTOMATIC SLIMS, JADE AND PRIVILEGE ARE TRYING TO DO. WHY DO YOU THINK THESE PEOPLE CAN'T BE ORIGINAL FOR ONCE AND DO SOMETHING NEW??? WATCH THE CLASSIC'S PARTY OPENING AT EVERY CLUB IN SOUTH BEACH NEXT MONTH.....

Again . . . I am not bashing the club . . . I have always had a great time there . . .

BUT EVITES ARE FOR BIRTHDAY PARITES . . . NOT CLUB PROMOTING!