Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tiesto performing the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics!!!!!

well I think it's pretty hot..there's a big difference between selling out and being widely accepted...

:clap:

I wish people would stop with the whole "mainstream" stigma when it comes to dj's. We should be proud of Tiesto's accomplishment

Besides you act like you would say no if asked to perform...not like your a DJ or anything....

why cant ppl celebrate the fact that a worldwide event is including electronic music into its schedule? its going to be seen worldwide by billions of ppl. why do ppl get upset that the dj they picked happens to be a trance dj? do u really think that ppl around the world want to listen to some dirty tech while the olympic athletes march? its gotta be something uplifting, and i think trance is going to fit that atmosphere a little bit more. i dont think anyone's gonna watch the opening ceremonies and say "wow tiesto's set was siiiiiiiiiick!!!" he's not gonna be droppin his normal tracks im sure. like the article even says, tracks have been produced specifiaclly for this event.

lets just be happy that someone in this industry has been recognized enough to be headlined worldwide for billions of ppl. im sorry lee burridge isnt spinning the opening ceremonies, but then again, he hanst been ranked #1 either has he?

Tiësto to perform at the Opening Ceremony

ATHENS, 9 August –Tiësto, twice voted the #1 DJ in the world by DJ Magazine, will make Olympic history on Friday, August 13, when he becomes the first DJ ever to perform in an Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games.

Some four billion people will be watching the planet's premier sport event, when the 28th Olympiad of the modern era opens in Greece, the land where the Olympics were born, and the City where they were revived 108 years ago.

No DJ has ever performed at the Olympic Games.

The President of the ATHENS 2004 Organizing Committee, Mrs. Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki, heralded the announcement of Tiësto’s participation, saying: “Our Ceremonies will include unique Greek artistic elements along with modern and international perspectives. While it is path-breaking, it is also natural, that a modern artist like Tiësto will contribute to the celebration we’re planning on our opening night. We welcome him to Athens.â€

In October 2003, Tiësto was approached by the Athens Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (ATHOC) for a DJ-performance of 90 minutes during the parade of the athletes, a part of the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games.

During this parade, all participating nations introduce their athletes, over 10,000 in total. ATHOC has shown it values art and innovation by asking the most popular DJ on Earth to produce the music for the parade.

Tiësto will perform his DJ-set live in the Olympic Stadium in Athens. This will include new tracks produced especially for the Opening Ceremony and songs that have been tailored to compliment the spirit of the Ceremony.

In connection with this announcement, Tiësto said, “I am honored to be to be part of the biggest sports event in the world. The fact that the Games are returning to their birthplace and to the city where they were revived makes Athens 2004 very special. The opportunity to perform my music for billions of people around the globe will be the greatest highlight of my life.â€

ATHOC Communications

that's fucking awesome...i love tiesto...he's an amazingly talented dj...no matter what anyone says...can't wait til september...when he's at space.

01 Tiësto ? Heroes

02 Tiësto ? Dallas 4PM (Tiësto 2004 Mix)

03 Tiesto ? Slice

04 Tiësto ? Traffic

05 Tiësto - ID (01:09)

06 Tiësto - Alibinoni

07 Tiësto - ID

08 Tiësto ? Lethal Industry

09 Tiësto ? Theme From Norefjell (Tiësto 2004 Mix)

10 Tiësto vs. Junkie XL ? Obsession

11 Tiësto ft. BT ? Love Comes Again (Instrumental Mix)

12 Tiesto vs. Josh Gabrilel ? Walking On Clouds (Instrumental Mix)

13 Tiësto ? Nyana

14 Tiësto ? Flight 643

15 Tiësto ? In My Memory (Airwave Remix)

16 Tiësto ? Forever Today

17 Tiësto ? Adagio For Strings

This is killing me I barely here him in the Background. And if Katie Couric or Bob f*cking Kostas doesn't say his name I am going to be so pissed. COME ON SHOW HIM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

seriously. I read on tiestos msg board that overseas, they showed him only 3 times and for 10- 15 seconds each time. In canada they called him the "greek dj tiesto" haha

and me too....

It is truely igonrant of the announcers....think about it; first time ever a DJ is spinning a live set during an opening ceremony - a chance to tell people that EDM isn't only about kids with pacifiers rolling in dark basements.

About the time people accepted EDM/DJs as any other types or mainstream music/musicians.

i was watchin it

yes it really does suck that they dident anounce tiesto

i mean bob costas could have been like "for those who are interested in the music in the backgroud its from the number 1 dj in the world tiesto which is a first for the olymics" or somethin like that to give the guy some credit fukin nbc

i saw some of the athletes even danceing when they were walking down

tiesto must have had a good time performing his own music infront of 70,000 people and who knows how many who were watching tv

the bad part was that the mic was too low you could barely hear it from all the crowd noise and the anouncers but i guess thats the way it is

and they cut tiesto off during the best part of adigo for strings when greece came in i was like noooooo

Ronin, we'll see we have an event the night before it's the last day of Billboard Dance Music Summit.

I can't believe they did show Tiesto or mention him.....bastards. Here's the AP article though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bjork's big dress, Dutch DJ's beats mark thunderous start to games

CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Entertainment Writer

(08-13) 15:44 PDT ATHENS, Greece (AP) --

A tiny Icelandic singer wearing an ocean of a dress and a Dutch DJ with music flowing from his fingertips helped bring the 2004 Olympic Games to a wet and wild start.

Bjork performed her song "Oceania" during Friday's opening ceremony in keeping with the evening's water theme.

"You have done good for yourselves since you left my wet embrace and crawled ashore," the lyrics went -- and so went the waves of fabric intended to look like an extension of the thick twists of ice blue that composed Bjork's gown. The shimmering material unfurled from her feet and spread over the heads of many of the thousands of athletes who'd filed into the Olympic Stadium infield.

Bjork herself shimmered as well, with bluish-purple glittery eye shadow across her lids. Her dark hair dangled in tiny twists that framed her pixieish, freckled face.

Earlier in the evening, the disc jockey Tiesto from Amsterdam played about two hours of nonstop dance music as the world's athletes took their first steps onto the world's biggest stage. It was the first time a DJ has had such a role at the games.

Standing on a platform beneath the unlit Olympic cauldron and dressed in a heather gray T-shirt and baggy, faded jeans, Tiesto bobbed his head to the beat with a set of oversized headphones covering his ears. He spun a mix of instrumental tunes that ranged from hypnotic to pulsating, culminating with throbbing house beats when the Greek team entered at the end of the procession.

It was a party atmosphere, with many athletes dancing their way into the stadium and rushing toward the video cameras spread around the track.

Among the international dignitaries cheering them on from the VIP section were British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Queen Sofia of Spain, and Prince Frederik of Denmark and his new bride, Australian-born Princess Mary.

Man i am sick of all this blah blah blah Mainstream Shit. Just because these Tech heads all hate on trance people because there fucking tech fags arent as known and blown up as there dudes. They think thats it they such there music sucks blah blah blah. I am a fan of ALL GENRES, (hate using term genre) when its really just ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC. ITS ALL ELECTRONIC. Stop fucking hating on other DJS because ITs ur opinion that you dont like there few tracks. :gang::gang::gang::gang: . :bowdown::bowdown:

Tiesto has been important to our scene because he has brought many many new people into our world that wouldnt even think about it before.. You should be appreciative of the things that hes helped our music scene with.. Remeber about 4 years ago when you wouldnt even of heard a song like Love Comes again on the radio or Silence or whatever. Now Open your fucking minds and realize the truth. Everyone has an opinion, Dont always word it bitch.

Sorry, just had to protect what i believe in..

ROCK ON TIESTO, AND CONGRATS

i heard traffic at one point blasting in the background, i couldn't believe that i was hearing it at the opening of the olympics. it sucks though that it was so low, but good job for tiesto for getting asked to do this, im sure over in europe they did a better job of announcing who was spinning the music.

these fucking morons who think all trance is mainstream really piss me off.. they all were into trance at one point or another.. but it's like they changed what genre's they like because it's too "mainstream" lol... what losers... why does music have to be underround for you to like it?? why is underground associated with "good" and "being cool" blah

does anyone have the set of tiesto @ the olympics??? id pay for that shit..

lesmcnall @ aol.com