Clubplanet Nightlife Community

any men mechanically inclined??? car question!

i just had to put a new clutch in my car (which is crazy cuz it only had 36,000 mi) so now i've had this clutch for a couple of months and i'm wondering if a may need adjusting. i don't know if i'm going crazy b/c the first time i thought it may be slipping a little i'd just finished smokin' a doob and since then i feel like i'm prob. imagining it, but then again the car just doesn't seem to have enought ooomph when i go from 1st to 2nd.....i guess what i want to know is do new clutches need an adjustment after a couple of months of driving???? oh, and don't say it's the way i drive b/c that makes me crazy. i know the reason the first clutch went...any help would be appreciated!

------------------

jumpdei.gif Boink like a bunny!!!

Sweety what kind of car do you have that you needed a new clutch after 3600 miles? Are you power shifting? Well give the new clutch some time to break in. Just tell me the car and I can tell you whether or not you should be getting that umph!!! cwm13.gif

------------------

Neo: You ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?

Choi: All the time. It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly.

x4xshot.gif

-Ricfutures

Originally posted by ricfutures:

Sweety what kind of car do you have that you needed a new clutch after 36000 miles? Are you power shifting? Well give the new clutch some time to break in. Just tell me the car and I can tell you whether or not you should be getting that umph!!! cwm13.gif

------------------

Neo: You ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?

Choi: All the time. It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly.

x4xshot.gif

-Ricfutures

It's possible that the cable was incorrectly tensioned when they installed the new clutch. You might only be noticing this now with the colder weather. Do you find the problem goes away some once your car warms up?

No matter what, it's something that should be looked at right away before you wear out your new clutch. Whoever installed it should go over it free of charge.

good luck.

------------------

sig.jpg

cold spoonin' on this lovely autumn day

spoonyd.iwarp.com

Originally posted by spoonyd:

forgot to mention... I'm a little dismayed at your subject line any men ?!?. This something no mechanically inclined girl could deal with?

And people wonder where sexism comes from? Right, blame the guys.

calm down!! i don't see any responses from girls!! i don't know one girl who could pop my hood, take a look and tell me what the problem is. how many chicks do you know that diagnose their own car probs???

thanks for the advice, though......and ricfutures, thankyou too -- it's a vw golf!!! '95!

------------------

OK- this may sound a little weird but a clutch actually gets used to the person driving it and it wears accordingly. This is a big reason why a person could buy a brand new car and not torch a clutch for 100,000 miles and then the person who buys it off them, although they may know how to drive just fine, blow it in 500 miles. Regardless, if the clutch is brand new it shouldn't be slipping at all (assuming that you're not driving it like a madwoman, but you're too cute to do that). When you shift from 1st to 2nd, if your RPM's are shooting up (before you hit the clutch)but you're not really going much faster, then it may be slipping and it might not have been installed correctly. Regardless, if you're not happy, bring it back to the guy that did it and tell him what's going on. If he tries to charge you for it, tell him two words- BIG JOSH.

------------------

Too crazy for Boys Town, too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

Smithers, come here. I need you.

take it back to the place that installed it. i've had a couple of veedubs and replaced the clutch on one of them. it didn't need adjusting once installed, but your case maybe different. have the clutch cable adjustment checked.

good luck!

------------------

PERCUSSION, I LOVE PERCUSSION... View?u=1198735&a=9205368&p=31510201

Originally posted by vj604:

I know a couple girls that could diagnose car probs...but 36K is waay too few miles to have a cluth wear out on you....

i know that a clutch shouldn't go at 36,000mi - i had a car with 125,0000mi with the original clutch.....it was something to do with the new clutch that was installed in the vw's that year or some bullshit like that.....but anyway, this is under warranty so it's not that big of a prob. i just wanted to know if a new clutch can sometimes need adjusting and i'd ask my dad but he'll just start lecturing me on the fact that i'm single and if i had a boyfriend he could fix my car and why do i want to live in nj and why do i have a butchie haircut and why, why, why,,,,,,,,,???? and i don't want to go through all that nonsense so i'm turning you you guys. i'll just take it to my mechanic but thanks for all the advice.

------------------

Probably in your best interest to stay away from lecturing..hehe..yeah take it back to the shop, know what youre talking about, accurately describe the problem and tell them to fix it...you know as well as i do that a certain amount of gender discrimination occurs in the automotive repair and retail industry.

VJ

------------------

THE BEAT IS IN MY HEAD

AIM:Turbo SC300

Hey nikki, no worries about girls not responding...I change the oil of my car myself ('98 Camry) cwm27.gif ...I used to be a car fanatic when I was younger and used to hang out with my uncle (he's a mechanic)...I love cars and talking about them cwm19.gif . But you should definitely take your car back and let them reinspect all of the connections regarding the clutch...Recently, my dad had to replace his clutch on his car...I think (trying to know what I am talking about cwm27.gif , the clutch might not have been fitted properly or not cut properly for your car!

~*Jam*~ aka Auto Zone

------------------

...I can't see you, you can't see me! as-slow.gif ...

Well my 10 year gig as an auto mechanic ended in 1994. So as far as your 95 is concerned I'm not sure if it has a mechanical(cable) or hydraulic clutch.

You can check under your hood to see if you have a Clutch Master Cylinder next to or by your Brake Master Cylinder. If you do you have a hydraulic clutch.

As I spent my last 5 years as a mechanic fixing VW/Audi/BMW/Porshe/MB I can attest to never seeing a hydraulic clutch that needed to be adjusted. Some people might dispute this and say that hydraulic clutches can't be adjusted but actually some Slave Cylinder rods can be adjusted. I had just never seen one that needed adjusting.

But if you have a mechanical clutch this can be adjusted fairly easily. Towards the end of the cable where it meets the Clutch Release Lever there usually a nut (sometimes its closer to your Fire Wall but usually its by the Trasmission). You usually have to lift the cable up (you'll see what I mean if you try it) and loosen the nut. Then put the cable back down and check for freeplay.

How to tell if your clutch needs adjusting:

Follow the Clutch Cable(mechanical) or hydraulic line(hydraulic) down to where it meets your transmission. Either one will end up at your Clutch Release Lever.

Grab this lever and try to move it.

You should some play in it and it should move about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

If when you grab it and no matter which way you try to move it it is hard as a rock it needs to be adjusted.

How does a mechanic tell if your clutch is slipping:

Well there are a few ways but the easiest and tried and true way is take your car to a parking lot and drive real slow 15/20 miles an hour. Then while the car is rolling pretty slow push in the clutch and rev up the car way up there around 4000/5000/6000 RPM (depending on how high up your RPM's go). Then shift the car into the highest gear you have and let the clutch out real fast while maintaining the high RPM's.

A clutch that is not slipping will of course make the car bog down as you are going so slow and you will see the RPM's shot right down. A clutch that is slipping will see the RPM's go down slowly and the car not bog down as fast.

Hope this helps and remember I fix cars for nice friendly people CHEAP!!

Later

mysteriousss,

One of the reasons I got out of the mechanic field after 10 years is because of the many times I had to stand around and listen to my boss give some Female some total line of crap about what was wrong with their car. They did this to guys also if the were of the Yuppie type and didnt know crap about cars.

Not all my bosses were crocks but the majority were. So after performing countless unnecessary repair jobs on cars and seeing these people getting ripped off I said screw this and got into another field.

Before you let any Auto Repair shop do any major work to your car make sure you trust them and try to get a second opinion if you can.

Later

njkevin - that's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the #1 reason I got a brand new car. I don't wanna deal with this shit. But I will have to eventually and I don't have any friends that are mechanics.. I know I'll get f*cked when I go to get something done or fixed. I don't know much about cars myself and I probably should learn but damn.. all I want is to pay someone to do a GOOD HONEST job in fixing whatever is wrong. Is that too much to ask for? I guess it is...

i just recently sold my Karmann Ghia (I've had a bunch) and I want it back. If anyone has the means of picking one up, I highly suggest it. They are SO choice!

------------------

Too crazy for Boys Town, too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

Smithers, come here. I need you.

I NEVER "play" with my clutch at red lights!!! I'm a very good driver (except when i'm bumping into people)....I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your valuable input....Jammy, i'm hiring you to take care of my car b/c SpoonyD said i'm sexist and i want to prove i'm not!!! Equality for women and all that shit.....Actually i trust my mechanic, he'll fix whatever's wrong. The reason i know i can trust him is the first car i ever owned was my Mom's and my Dad had done all the maintenance, etc. on it so he pretty much knew what was due to go bad on it and what was new, etc. so if my mechanic said "it needs a new......" my dad would know if he was bullshitting me or not....Plus he lets me order parts from this catalog where i can get them cheaper and he'll install them for me. It's just such a pain in the ass putting your car in the shop for a day or two.......whah, bitch, moan, bitch, moan....anyone own a body shop?? I'm willing to trade sexual favors for a new front bumper cover!! hee hee

------------------

mysteriousss,

One of the big problems is that most people are actually brain washed or want to believe that their car needs all these major repairs.

Case In Point:

How many of you have gone or know somebody that went to get their brakes repaired and been told that you need new BRAKES, ROTORS and CALIPERS/WHEEL CYLINDER.

When I used to do a lot of work on the side I had plenty of people come to me with this scenerio. Then when I took a look and said that all they needed was their ROTORS turned because there was plenty of meat left on them and a new set of pads some people actually thought I did'nt know what I was talking about even though I was certified out the cahoot. So I would ask them if they wanted me to do all that other stuff even though I told them they did'nt need it, but since they were already told by someone else they did they wanted me to do it all since even if I put all they unnecessary stuff on I could still do it a lot cheaper.

Remember first off mark up on Auto Parts are anywhere from the 100%-400% range. When I used to work on Merceded Benz Factory Front Brake Pads cost around $8 and we charged $45. And finally all repairs prices are by what i like to call BOOK TIME meaning that even though I have done a million brake jobs and it only took me half an hour to do your front brakes the BOOK says that it should take an hour and a half so that is how much you are going to get charged.

So find somedoby like me that has a ton of tools is honest and fixes cars.

I know my neighbor is real happy I moved in next to her. That reminds me I have to give her a call and find out when she is taking me out to dinner for that TUNE UP I did on her car for free last weekend.

Later

LOL.. Where do you live? I'm gonna move in next door too smile.gif You're absolutely right, I heard so many horror stories and it scares me because I don't wanna pay all that extra money, have them fuck up my car and lie to me! It's common practice for mechanics in Brooklyn to take out a good part, put in an old one and tell you that it needs to be changed. Then take your OWN good part and put it back where it was. How fucked up is that? That shit bothers me. I think I'll just keep on buying a new car every time a problem occurs smile.gif Or just ask you to work on mine (you'll love it! i promise) LOL..

LOL....Yeah I loved it the first time I worked on my neighbors car. Afterwards she took me out to dinner and then when we got back she told me to take off my cloths....at first I just thought she was kidding around, but after she kept insisting it, I said "what the heck", shes cute why not?

But the big lesson I learned was never fool around with your neighbor. Because even though we never had a relationship before or after that she had this idea in her head that we were now an item. And when I told her I did'nt feel that way towards her she flipped out on me.

Luckily though after a month she came back and appologized and now we are friends and she sometimes even leaves me little gifts on my doorstep for all the favors I do for her.

As far as where I live check out the pic of my 1971 KARMANN GHIA in my back yard.

I'm kinda partial to GERMAN cars seeing as my MOTHER and her whole family is from GERMANY.

Later