Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What do you people think of this Jean Jacques Rousseau quote:

georgym

L'homme de la nature et de la verite

"The man of nature and of truth"

Meaning that man in a state of nature is honest and direct and that he is corrupted by civilization.

Thoughts :confused:

but in nature, outside of civilization there are no laws or regulations or rules, or morales, so there is nothing to base corruption on...reminds me of lord of the flies, once the kids were outside of civilization they were worse off than when they were in... they resorted to animalistic and barbaric tendencies found it harder and harder as time went on to seperate right from wrong and etc... so how honest were those kids~!?

but in nature, outside of civilization there are no laws or regulations or rules, or morales, so there is nothing to base corruption on...reminds me of lord of the flies, once the kids were outside of civilization they were worse off than when they were in... they resorted to animalistic and barbaric tendencies found it harder and harder as time went on to seperate right from wrong and etc... so how honest were those kids~!?

so u think our true nature comes out in civilization??

hmm dunno about that, i think everyone is shaped by everything and everyone around them and in constant change

by the statement above it seems like you agree... being in nature and surrounded by animals, they would adapt, and take on animalistic characteristics no~!? and as far as constant change goes, Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose... is a french saying that means the more things change the more they stay the same... your true character inside never changes imo but your surroundings and your behaviour might but who you are never will... some ppl are natural salesman by birth, some ppl are naturally aggressive by birth, some ppl are whatever, but they dont realise it until put in the right environment and it all comes out... eh wtf do i know i never study sociology anthropology or any *.logy for that matter...

L'homme de la nature et de la verite

"The man of nature and of truth"

Meaning that man in a state of nature is honest and direct and that he is corrupted by civilization.

Thoughts :confused:

is that your interpretation of the quote or is that what he really meant by that?

when i studied rousseau, what he meant by "nature" was not a caveman like existence, but coming to grips with the self through discovering beauty in nature..such as sitting by a lake and questioning your thoughts.. or sleeping in a forest to calm the mind...he wrote in the romanticsm period which was the artists of the times response to shit that was going on..the french rev., american, rev. it was also a response to the enlightenment period that dealt with logic and reason..his quote reflects the desire to return to "nature", rediscvering the self through absorption within the "real"..moon, rainbow, water etc.

i read about all this stuff two weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind..

is that your interpretation of the quote or is that what he really meant by that?

when i studied rousseau, what he meant by "nature" was not a caveman like existence, but coming to grips with the self through discovering beauty in nature..such as sitting by a lake and questioning your thoughts.. or sleeping in a forest to calm the mind...he wrote in the romanticsm period which was the artists of the times response to shit that was going on..the french rev., american, rev. it was also a response to the enlightenment period that dealt with logic and reason..his quote reflects the desire to return to "nature", rediscvering the self through absorption within the "real"..moon, rainbow, water etc.

i read about all this stuff two weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind..

:bowdown: