Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Roy Jones Jr. knocked out unconscious...

renzo2

those where a wicked serious series of punches. hope Jones is alright. contrary to what Larry Merchant said, I don’t think Jones career is done. Jones has only been knocked out a few times in his 20 years plus career.

i dunno tony but after his loss before this i dont think he's the same.. he didnt look the same in this last fight dude .. his "WANT" his "AMBITION" doesnt seem to be there anymore .. i could be wrong , but i just dont think he's the same anymore .. that happens to alot of fighters after they lose their 1st fight after being undefeated for so long .. no doubt that roy jones will always be one of the best ever , but i think his self esteem is gone.. just my $.02

i dunno tony but after his loss before this i dont think he's the same.. he didnt look the same in this last fight dude .. his "WANT" his "AMBITION" doesnt seem to be there anymore .. i could be wrong , but i just dont think he's the same anymore .. that happens to alot of fighters after they lose their 1st fight after being undefeated for so long .. no doubt that roy jones will always be one of the best ever , but i think his self esteem is gone.. just my $.02
it's fights like his last two which will define who he is as fighter; if he can comeback... it pisses me off when commentators write athletes off; simply because of a few defeats.:mad: the real question is does Jones still want to fight; or is he comfortable in retiring? also will he be able to recover from his last fight from a health prospective? it would be dangerous for him to risk fighting again; if he not 100% physically. he has a record which is among the most impressive of any modern day fighter. if he retires he really has nothing to be embarrassed about.

it's fights like his last two which will define who he is as fighter; if he can comeback... it pisses me off when commentators write athletes off; simply because of a few defeats.:mad: the real question is does Jones still want to fight; or is he comfortable in retiring? also will he be able to recover from his last fight from a health prospective? it would be dangerous for him to risk fighting again; if he not 100% physically. he has a record which is among the most impressive of any modern day fighter. if he retires he really has nothing to be embarrassed about.

i agree !! his record is insane !! but what im saying is that sometimes these fighters that are undefeated have such a huge ego , confidence and are soooo high strung that when they lose "ONE" time, alllll of that takes a huge nose dive !! i know this very well from personal experience growing up .. and all tho ive over come this , it did take a good while to do so .. i just had enough faith in myself to jump out of it .. but it was different cause i was really young and had a chance to out grow it .. these guys in their mid to late 30's is gonna be a bit more tricky . i hope im wrong about roy jones as i enjoyed watchin him work .. but , ive seen things like this happen time and time again.. and you are correct when you say roy jones has nothing to be worried and / or embarrased about !! imo he was the best at what he did.. and btw .. larry merchant is a complete idiot and a shit talker :D

he is done! i said it after tarver knocked him out...and this fight proves it. this was a long time coming. in his his last few fights before this, he wasnt very impressive. no knockdowns, won by decision...i really thought he lost before this but....the decisions were in his favor.

he looked nothing like the roy i knew...face it..he got older, slower...his style leaves him open and he is gonna pay now.

no one is scared...

it is a shame, at his prime he was a great fighter and an entertaining showman. one of my favorites to watch.

what im saying is that sometimes these fighters that are undefeated have such a huge ego , confidence and are soooo high strung that when they lose "ONE" time, alllll of that takes a huge nose dive !! :D

nah.. i think roy's confidence in himself is too high...he'll probably be back...he thinks he can still fight..thats why he fought this last fight.

he is done! he got knocked out cold by a no name!

i bet he comes back..thinking he can fight...get knocked again...

nah.. i think roy's confidence in himself is too high...he'll probably be back...he thinks he can still fight..thats why he fought this last fight.

he is done! he got knocked out cold by a no name!

i bet he comes back..thinking he can fight...get knocked again...

look at vargas when he lost to trinidad ;) he was done after that . not cause hes old definately .. but their confidence shoots downward.. and will vargas come back ?? i doubt it .. he took a terrible beating and it was too early in his career.. if he does come back it wont be anytime soon .. takes years to build up a persons confidence again after a beating like that . just my $.02

look at vargas when he lost to trinidad ;) he was done after that . not cause hes old definately .. but their confidence shoots downward.. and will vargas come back ?? i doubt it .. he took a terrible beating and it was too early in his career.. if he does come back it wont be anytime soon .. takes years to build up a persons confidence again after a beating like that . just my $.02

well roy is old and needs to hang up the gloves...he shouldnt have even fought this fight. he is done!

most boxers stay around too long and end their careers looking bad because they have too much confidence in their ability and fail to recognize that they are too old to fight these young guys....roy is going through that right now...

well roy is old and needs to hang up the gloves...he shouldnt have even fought this fight. he is done!

most boxers stay around too long and end their careers looking bad because they have too much confidence in their ability and fail to recognize that they are too old to fight these young guys....roy is going through that right now...

i can agree with you on that

he is done! i said it after tarver knocked him out...and this fight proves it. this was a long time coming. in his his last few fights before this, he wasnt very impressive. no knockdowns, won by decision...i really thought he lost before this but....the decisions were in his favor.

he looked nothing like the roy i knew...face it..he got older, slower...his style leaves him open and he is gonna pay now.

no one is scared...

it is a shame, at his prime he was a great fighter and an entertaining showman. one of my favorites to watch.

Matt,

not every fighter is going to win a fight by knockout. age has nothing to do with it particularly, when your in a weight class where the median age is quite high. impressive to me is wining the fight whether it’s by knockout or decision. you can’t equate age to physical ability. Jones has relied on his persona in a lot of his fights; he has almost never had to fight as an underdog. if he wishes to continue fighting then he must become more mentally fit. physically he is in top shape thus that is not really an issue. the desire to continue has be within Jones. he has a lot of questions he must ask himself i.e. do I want to finish my career being knocked out, do I want risk my record by possibly risking getting knocked out again, am I mentality fit to continue fighting, etc. only he can answer those questions. the general public at large and commentators are notorious for writing athletes off, before the athlete has even had the chance to contemplate the same. whatever Jones decides to do he will always have my respect, because through out his career he has always defied his critics and done what is right for Roy Jones. as Donald Trump says "What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.â€.. :)

i agree !! his record is insane !! but what im saying is that sometimes these fighters that are undefeated have such a huge ego , confidence and are soooo high strung that when they lose "ONE" time, alllll of that takes a huge nose dive !! i know this very well from personal experience growing up .. and all tho ive over come this , it did take a good while to do so .. i just had enough faith in myself to jump out of it .. but it was different cause i was really young and had a chance to out grow it .. these guys in their mid to late 30's is gonna be a bit more tricky . i hope im wrong about roy jones as i enjoyed watchin him work .. but , ive seen things like this happen time and time again.. and you are correct when you say roy jones has nothing to be worried and / or embarrased about !! imo he was the best at what he did.. and btw .. larry merchant is a complete idiot and a shit talker :D
you have some very valid points.also I agree "larry merchant is a complete idiot and a shit talker" :D

tony, if you watched his last 5 fights..you know what i mean. he lost the power to his punch.

he won decisions...that in my honest opinion, were gifts. i know KOs arent the only way to measure a fighter, but c'mon...he used to knock'em down....he hasnt even done that.

maybe he needs to move down in weight...maybe he got old...all i'm saying is, he got beat up by a no name....he used to eat no names for breakfast.

how could you deny this? he was on the ground for 5 min!

tony, if you watched his last 5 fights..you know what i mean. he lost the power to his punch.

he won decisions...that in my honest opinion, were gifts. i know KOs arent the only way to measure a fighter, but c'mon...he used to knock'em down....he hasnt even done that.

maybe he needs to move down in weight...maybe he got old...all i'm saying is, he got beat up by a no name....he used to eat no names for breakfast.

how could you deny this? he was on the ground for 5 min!

Matt,

I have watched most of his fights including the most recent. . as previously mentioned wining decisions, doesn’t necessarily mean your going downhill. yeah, he once dominated his opponents. however, you can never assume you are going continue dominating your sport. when your on top somebody is always looking to take you down...there will always be someone out there hungrier then you. he got knocked out by two fighters who are not exactly amateurs to boxing, no names perhaps to some but certainly not new to boxing. I can’t deny he was on the ground, I observed that with my own two eyes. :)