Clubplanet Nightlife Community

absynth

Felix_Leiter

Can someone please explain to me whats the point of

burning the sugar cube.. what does it do to the alcohol.

EDUCATE ME!!

Drinking Absinthe

How to drink absinthe. For those of you who are new to absinthe, the traditional method for tasting absinthe is with water and sugar. The water is used to dilute the alcohol, and the sugar is used to mask the bitterness of the absinthium (wormwood) and other oils.

The traditional ritual for serving absinthe is to pour ice-cold water over a cube of sugar that is resting on a slotted spoon. The slotted spoon is suspended over a glass with a portion of absinthe. The cold water dissolves the sugar, both entering the glass to mix with the absinthe. As the cold water mixes with the absinthe, it clouds, this effect is called the "louche".

Most absinthes produced today are already sweet and adding sugar may obscure the wonderful flavors that the distiller intended for you to enjoy.

That doesn't sound ANYTHING like the absinthe i had :nono:

Thats cuz you prob didnt have real Absinthe.

Absinthe is a strong herbal liqueur distilled with a great number of flavorful herbs like anise, licorice, hyssop, veronica, fennel, lemon balm, angelica and wormwood (the flavor of anise and/or licorice, at least in contemporary forms of the liquor, tends to predominate). Wormwood, the one that's gained the most notoriety, is Artemisia absinthum, an herb that grows wild in Europe and has been cultivated in the United States as well. Much of the liquor's legendary effect is due to its extremely high alcohol content, ranging from 50% to 75% (usually around 60%), plus the contribution of the various herbs. It has been assumed by many that the so-called "active ingredient" in absinthe is wormwood, although that is apparently not really the case.

:laugh:

No, it was real 4 sure. my friend from Belgium doesn't fuck around with that shit. It was blue, it was nice, and i want to repeat it again!

There's a lot of fake absinthe going around out there. I've NEVER heard any absinthe tasting like sambuca :laugh:

u cant pound that ish, right?

Real absynthe contains wormwood... which emits thujone. Absynthe containing thujone is illegal in the US. The best absynthe I've had came from Spain, where they still use wormwood and it was home brew. It made me feel real nice and more twisted than I've ever been on booze but it does taste like shit and it definately wasn't really a high... just a different kind of drunk. It sort of reminded me of Green Chartreuse if you've ever had that...

I brought a couple of bottles back from Ibiza, it doesn't do much. Makes you feel drunk and a little funny.

There isn't enough thujone in it anymore to make you hallucinate, by law. Even in the countries where it's legal.

Can someone please explain to me whats the point of

burning the sugar cube.. what does it do to the alcohol.

EDUCATE ME!!

its a age old tradition however in theory, its supposed to activate the thujone creating a great euphoria after youve drank it... personally i think its just to make it taste better, its very bitter and strong...

u cant pound that ish, right?

yes you can... i pound any liquor...

Hello all. I havent been on this board for a while, and sure enough when I come on there is always an interesting topic being discussed. I just tried Absynth for the 1st time last saturday. I got mine from Jonathan Peters' girfriend, whose best friend, made her own- (no it was not laced with Tina-LOL). She also made this amazing drink that takes like chocolate but is made from distilling the THC from the finest herb ever. I tastes like Chronic in liquid form. I got so high from that- I cant even explain!!!! Anyway- her absynth is green and tasted like bitter sambuca. The best way to explain the feeling it gives is - A drunk high. I loved it!!!

you wrote more about who you drank it with than what you drank and the effects... lol...

I didnt drink it with the persons mentioned. I said I GOT it from them. My point, I guess, was that if you get it from a homemade source not legal-watered down versions, it's more potent. I also wanted to tell people that I know of a reliable source-if anyone is interested, but I didn't know if that was wise on a public messageboard.....

I didnt drink it with the persons mentioned. I said I GOT it from them. My point, I guess, was that if you get it from a homemade source not legal-watered down versions, it's more potent. I also wanted to tell people that I know of a reliable source-if anyone is interested, but I didn't know if that was wise on a public messageboard.....

"tru dat..."

long story short, if you get your hands on it... drink it... if youre ever out of the country try it... if you cant get it and dont plan on it... who gives a fuck youre not missing much...