Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Review: James Holden @ Cielo

Definitely one of the best nights out this year. The music was nothing short of phenominal. The crowd (though crowded) and vibe was outstanding. I saw Holden a year or so ago at Sully and thought he was pretty on point. Last night James just took it to another level. Melodic tech house at it's finest. There were also elements of minimal, electro, and god knows what else. Truly something for everyone. I'm not much of a spotter, so I'll leave that for others. I would go as far to say that last night was the closest thing I've experienced to a Saturday night @ Arc since 6 Hubert St. shut its doors. A big thank you goes out to Made. Hopefully this party will continue to thrive. I hope you guys would consider moving the party up a couple of hours (especially if there's an opener) because I'm HURTING right now....

Well it was my first time hearing james and it wont be my last. I think the first part of the night was much better crowd wise and music wise. But regardless i had so much fun the whole time i was there until some youngsters whipped out their glowsticks, geez grow up. Lots of people from everyboard were having a blast and that was good to hear. Very sad that the music stopped around 330am or so. But me and mscrew were still enegized to dance the night away, got some food and decided to hit up discotheuqe after hrs with merritt. And we defintely regretted that move. YUCK. Good seeing peeps that i do know and peeps that i just met and people just having fun. No partying till thurs. Need to rest.

ewwwwwwww on du-rags. I wear a bandanna cause my hair is short and naturally spiky so i dont wanna look like a dragon ball z clone. Anyway cielo has a very small dance space and when some kid is trying to swing those things around like if he was at ikon or something then im telling him to put it away. And thankfully the bouncers hooked it up. I understand that people associate glowsticks as normal club somtimes but thier still young and is expected at thier parties. Why not learn how to move your body and DANCE instead of twirlin sticks that have nothing t do with music. Its like breakdancers who know how to dance as well. They dont break at cielo cause its small but they still dance cause they have skills in moving thier bodies.

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

im really upset i missed this,

i got into a car accident on sun afternoon in jersey,

everybody was ok, and my car is still funtional, its just that the right front side got hit, and that part of the car, like the side and shit ws really really close to the tire, so we crashed @ a freinds place in jersey, we were out in whiting(20 minutes from alantic city) which is jersey bumble fuck, long woodsy roads with no lights,

god forbide my tire popped or some shit, there wood be no one to help us...so playing safe i got crazy wasted that night @ my freinds house :)

The one complaint that I had about the night was that there wasnt a light man actually doing the lights...I've been to Cielo when Ariel would just get silly on the lights. the night would have been ten times as amazing as it was if the lights were up to par with the music...

that was my first time hearing James

Holden...gotta say he's very unique...everytime he would throw a track it was something unexpected...i like his blend of melodic, progressive, funky, house, tech, nu wave, electro, minimal, hard, industrial, dark beats...even if some of it was laid back and wasnt danceable type of music to me ..it was ear candy...but he did throw in sick tracks that made me wanna bust out...

i heard him drop Matthew Johnson-Decompression in the beggining..i like that track..

the crowd in the beggining it was ok...then it got packed and you couldnt really move...towards the end it started clearing out...and i was able to get my dance for a lil bit...he ended his set shortly after ...

decided to go to discoteque after hours ...lol...i wanted to dance damnit!...

atleast i got my dance on with a "few" cool peeps from there...got into the zone..i love that feeling!..with the few tracks that i like that merrit spun..the "few".

but i felt grimey being around that crowd.

i hit that girl in the face so hard...was it even a girl?

Finally I get around to this, the following weekend!

Holden was playing some of the best music I've heard in a long time for the first 1.5hours, some dark electro progressive tech (ha!) but then went into some weird shit that totally lost me, and then by the time he came back strong he was closing... all in all a great night, I love Cielo-I would love to see Digweed there, but that'l never happen. Good seeing some people, and it was hilarious watching Gabe have security take some guys glowstick away.... cute ass girls but they got $$$ signs in they eyes!

ewwwwwwww on du-rags. I wear a bandanna cause my hair is short and naturally spiky so i dont wanna look like a dragon ball z clone. Anyway cielo has a very small dance space and when some kid is trying to swing those things around like if he was at ikon or something then im telling him to put it away. And thankfully the bouncers hooked it up. I understand that people associate glowsticks as normal club somtimes but thier still young and is expected at thier parties. Why not learn how to move your body and DANCE instead of twirlin sticks that have nothing t do with music. Its like breakdancers who know how to dance as well. They dont break at cielo cause its small but they still dance cause they have skills in moving thier bodies.

That was dickhead move to ask bouncer to take glowsticks away from some kid. Big fucking deal if he brought some glowsticks to cielo. The party should be about expressing yourself and having a good time.

I also can't stand when someone waves glowsticks around when I try to dance but I try to move away and find other spot to dance.

thats just my .02 cents.

Sorry for the late review. This was my first time going to Cielo. It reminded me of my first trip to arc. You wouldn't know you were walking into a club if it wasn't for the small line formed around the door. Cielo is visually amazing. This small place in the meatpacking district has a lot of potential to become the next arc. I thought Holden was played a good set. His performance at the Sullivan room last December was better in my opinion. I ran into a lot of my friends from arc / vinyl that I haven’t seen in a while. I also had the pleasure of meeting Gabe (silverbull). I will definitely attending at Cielo in the near future.