Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Harvard grad gets manslaughter

kramadas

This is bullshit. This guy is a Harvard grad student - the victim a kid WITH a criminal history...there was a fight, and the guy stabs the kid. he gets voluntary manslaughter (down from murder) - I say he should have gotten involuntary manslaughter. I mean this guy have never been in trouble before, is a grad student...while the other guy has a criminal history - you do the math.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20041014/ts_nm/crime_harvard_dc

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - Harvard University graduate student Alexander Pring-Wilson was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter on Thursday in a case that ruffled town-gown relations in this Ivy League community.

Pring-Wilson, 26, had been charged with murdering Michael Colono, 18, a Cambridge resident who did not attend the university and who had a criminal record. After deliberating for five days, a jury on Thursday found the Harvard student guilty of the lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter.

Later, at an emotionally charged sentencing hearing, Judge Regina Quinlan ordered the Harvard student to spend six to eight years in jail for his role in the Hispanic teen's death.

Pring-Wilson, who had cried and stammered under cross-examination, showed no emotion as he learned both the verdict and his sentence.

Prosecutors had accused Pring-Wilson of stabbing Colono five times during an April 2003 altercation not far from the stately Ivy League campus. Pring-Wilson's attorneys argued he acted in self-defense.

Some local media reported the slaying strained relations between the school and local residents, and some of Colono's relatives said the Harvard student received preferential treatment because of his family's wealth.

"The power that a white, smart man has with money is quite disturbing. I understand money is power, but money should not define justice," the victim's sister, Damaris Colono, told the court during the sentencing hearing.

Expressing anguish over the loss of her brother, she said Pring-Wilson failed to use his "Harvard intellect" when he repeatedly stabbed the 18-year-old with a pocketknife.

"What I have learned from all of this is you can have the best of things in life and the best education but just because you are raised a rich, white boy who is smart does not mean you are incapable of making stupid decisions," she said.

Pring-Wilson's parents pleaded with the judge to consider alternatives to prison. His mother, Cynthia Pring, sobbed during the sentencing hearing as she praised her son's kindness.

"He has never been in trouble. He has never been in a fight. He has been a role model for everybody who has ever met him," Pring said. "He is everything I ever wanted in a son, everything I hoped for."

Prosecutors had sought a longer jail sentence for Pring-Wilson, and at a news conference after the sentencing Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley said Colono's family had hoped for both a harsher verdict and a tougher sentence.

"They were disappointed in the verdicts and I am certain that they are disappointed in the sentencing," Coakley said.

my question is if he was so good why did he have a knife and why stab someone 5 times. We have all been in fights and I know your adrenaline gets going but if you can not tell that stabbing someone that many times is going to do some serious damage then you should be locked up.