Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What to expect for New Years Eve?

Hello all!

I'm from Calgary, Canada and me and my boyfriend have planned a trip to NY from Dec 26-Jan 4. I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of clubs during that time.

I *need* to see Danny Tenaglia :bowdown: he never comes up our way and from the sounds of it he's a regular in your scene.

What is the dress code like at most of the dance clubs? Cover charge? Drink prices? How long should we expect to wait in line, and what time should be plan to be there at? NY clubs are open a lot later than ours, we shut down at 2am here. Is it okay to check our coats (if there are coat checks) or is that more hassle than it's worth?

I'm not sure if we'll head out to a club on New Years Eve, I would love to (definitely NOT going to Times Square) but from what I've read it's overpriced and packed and we don't have $150+ each to spend on tickets. I guess ultimately it depends on the DJ's playing that night.

Anyways. Any information would be appreciated! Clubplanet is definitely the most comprehensive resource I've found for clubbing in NY, I can't believe I'm finally coming there to experience it all!

Looking forward to your replies...

Hello all!

I'm from Calgary, Canada and me and my boyfriend have planned a trip to NY from Dec 26-Jan 4. I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of clubs during that time.

I *need* to see Danny Tenaglia :bowdown: he never comes up our way and from the sounds of it he's a regular in your scene.

What is the dress code like at most of the dance clubs? Cover charge? Drink prices? How long should we expect to wait in line, and what time should be plan to be there at? NY clubs are open a lot later than ours, we shut down at 2am here. Is it okay to check our coats (if there are coat checks) or is that more hassle than it's worth?

I'm not sure if we'll head out to a club on New Years Eve, I would love to (definitely NOT going to Times Square) but from what I've read it's overpriced and packed and we don't have $150+ each to spend on tickets. I guess ultimately it depends on the DJ's playing that night.

Anyways. Any information would be appreciated! Clubplanet is definitely the most comprehensive resource I've found for clubbing in NY, I can't believe I'm finally coming there to experience it all!

canadiankitty .. first off .. welcome to CP .. it is a nice place to be .. and u will get to make friends ..and share the great nightlife of nyc and other places ..

second .. your questions are kina very general . but i will try my best to help

clubs in nyc .. are all different .. they all have Lines .. and could be long sometimes . but it all depends on the night . the occasion .. the DJ .. if they are offering 18+ admission .. free admission .. and few other factors ..

for new yr specifically .. plan to be there EARLY unless u like staying in line for some time .. and usually for new yrs events . the line is much longer ..

Dress Code varies from club to the other .. and from big clubs to small ones (including lounges) .. but generally MOST clubs expect u to dress neatly .. meaning no jeans .. sneakers .. tank tops .. etc. ... however ... if u r a dancer like myself .. u will take with you a bag . and u will put all your dancing clothes in it .. when they check your bag . u can say .. "oh i just got outta gym" .. you get in .. and then you change .. and then u check your bag .. and now u r ready to rock the floors ..

most smaller clubs are not that picky about clothes as long as u look neat .. i have gone to small clubs in excecise pants .. sweat shirts .. and sneakers

as a general statement . MOST clubs also do not really bother women too much .. and i have seen women getting in clubs with jeans and everything else .. while they pick on men .. (oh did i forget to tell u how democratic this country is???)

as for Cover Charge .. again it is different from club to club .. with bigger clubs generally charging more money than smaller ones .. and for NY eve party .. u will expect to chill some good money up front .. it is not unusual to expect parties for new years eve for $100-200 per person ..

check out CP for guest lists .. reduced guest lists .. or just hook up with some of the promoters for some of the clubs here .. and u might get a better deal ..

another way is to check the club's web site itself .. some offer reduced tickets for early registration or for being on their email list ..

as for Drinks .. hmm . i dont actually drink at all . but from what i know .. drinks are pricey in most clubs .. e.g. red bull for $6 .. beer for $10 .. etc. . u get the picture .. it is new years eve babe . what do u expect??? .. however i am not an expert on drinking since i dont drink .. so other memebers of cp might help you on that ..

it is NOT uncommon for clubs to offer open bars .. or 2 for 1 kina deal . for ppl who get in early and there is a reason .. they want to fill in the club early .. and gaurantee the night .. so check for those deals

as for Coat Check .. well . it is cold here . so u might have to get in with your coat anyway .. wait .. u r from Canada . it is much colder out there .. so forget i said that .. hehe ..

but if u r taking your coat(s) . it is usually $3-5 per item (pay attention .. per item .. meaning if u check a hat .. it is an item .. ) .. so here comes that bag idea again .. if u have a back-bag with ya .. put your coat/sweater/jacket in it .. if it fits . and so u r checking in less no of items ..

coat checks are generally pretty safe . i have been checking items for sooo many years and never lost anything ..

and coat checks are usually not a hassle .. i say check your coats ..

how long should u plan to be there .. well .. most big clubs go beyond 5 am .. some go to 8 or even 12 for special events .. so it depends on how long do u wana stay ..

hopefully that helps ..

peace

the MASK

pvd @ ikon for new years eve... $55... all of the big "super" clubs will have parties for under 60-70 bucks most likely.. no champagne is passed out or open bars...

pvd isnt a bad way to go... don;t let all the trance haters on this board(this board is FULL of them) tell you any differently.. there aint gonna be a hiphop crowd bc there aint gonna be any hiphop dj's (i think).. do not bring a jacket... just arrive early and dont wait on line for too long.. last year at this venue i waited a half hour just to check my coat and then waited about 45 minutes just to get it... lines were ridiculous... so just wear a sweater or something...

beers are 7 bucks... hard drinks are anywhere between 9-14

i've never got hassled at any clubs... spirit, crobar, avalon and ikon jeans and sneakers are a go... just dont come looking like your about to be kicking in heads (tims) or you just came from the gym.. sweats and dirty ass gym sneakers..

the line issue... i was waiting online for a solid 45 minutes.. barely moved at all.. there was a SHITLOAD of people on line.. but then about 3 minutes to midnight they let everyone in to the club.. didnt search anyone and opened up all entrances.. so they hooked you up for the balldrop..

go to www.club element nyc .com and contact someone there. they will take care of u

go to www.club element nyc .com and contact someone there. they will take care of u

Well more importantly what kind of DJ or style of music are you into? Cause last yr over @SHELTER, DEEPA,LOUIE VEGA and TIMMY REGISFORD played for 15hrs and it was only 25 bucks.Since danny t wont be in nyc again this newyear eves im waiting to see whats SHELTERs line up gonna be.And since SHELTER is a MUSIC,DANCERS club there NEVER A DRESS CODE, come ready to sweat. Most of the MEGA CLUBS this yr arent my cup of tea, ikon,spirit,avalon, no thanks, im also waiting to see what crobar is goin to offer. But most likely i will be at SHELTER or another underground party. And new yrs day theres tons of parties starting at 12pm and even 3pm and 6pm if you stil have energy to burn. Last yr after the 15 hrs of shelter went to BABYLONS KISS party for a few hrs then wen to DEEP for DANNY KRIVITS party but left after like 1 hr cause i couldnt stand up anymore lol. Anyhow more importantly i guess it all depends on the sound and crowd your looking for.

Silverbull it sounds like you know what I'm talkin about!

I would definitely prefer house over anything else. Where would I get information about Shelter? Will it be posted here in the following weeks? Are advance tickets sold, or only at the door?

Oooh! This is so awesome. So far we were thinking of going to Ikon, but this sounds much more up our alley. Thank you so much! :)

shelter stuff isnt posted on here ever, not many fans on these parts hehe. But as soon as i find out i will tell ya. And so far the only NEW YRS DAY party i know about is at SPIRIT for DJ VIBE and VICTOR CALDERONE. Hope you and your fella have fun and hpe to see you guys around.

• 2 weeks later...