Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Basketball

I would say jim thorp was the greatest athelete ever.

He won gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon. He also played football and baseball.

yeh most people agree he also played college basketball and the events that he won gold medals for are grueling , hes in the hall of fame for football

but he is also an athlete that competed 90 yrs ago so hard to judge.

cant consider a guy who solely Sprints as the greatest athlete ever

research what , i am asking you a question

a sprinter as the greatest athlete ever?????

greatest stage in the world set for him vs D bailey ....what happened????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA - you call THAT the greatest stage? The Olympics is the greatest stage and he ran the greatest race ever...broke the WR in the 200 by basically running TWO WR's in the 100 (9.66) twice...back to back...That same year he lead the world in the 100, 200 and 400 for a while. The records he set in both the 200 and 400 will not be broken in our lifetime. Plus he had a 4 year undefeated streak mixed in there...he was unstoppable...no one could touch him.

Read his book sometime and check out his training log leading up to the Olympics...it was borderline psychotic .

yeah but you have to take it era by era. I had an agruement the other day with some guys from work, i believe that if you took the 26 yankees(babe and all them)and had them play the 2004 detroit tigers the tigers would beat them every game by 10 runs. Atheletes today are just too much faster stronger and smarter when it comes to baseball then back then.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA - you call THAT the greatest stage? The Olympics is the greatest stage and he ran the greatest race ever...broke the WR in the 200 by basically running TWO WR's in the 100 (9.66) twice...back to back...That same year he lead the world in the 100, 200 and 400 for a while. The records he set in both the 200 and 400 will not be broken in our lifetime. Plus he had a 4 year undefeated streak mixed in there...he was unstoppable...no one could touch him.

Read his book sometime and check out his training log leading up to the Olympics...it was borderline psychotic .

well considering that track and field is watched by NO ONE, that was a pretty important matchup 2 guys boasting their the fastest man alive for a million bucks, something you cant do in the olympics set in skydome for the world to see and Bailey schooled him.

im not taking anything away from M johnson he probably is the best male sprinter ever , certainly the best ever at 200/400 but thats it

he is NOT the greatest athlete ever ...as you said period

yeah but you have to take it era by era. I had an agruement the other day with some guys from work, i believe that if you took the 26 yankees(babe and all them)and had them play the 2004 detroit tigers the tigers would beat them every game by 10 runs. Atheletes today are just too much faster stronger and smarter when it comes to baseball then back then.

i agree not so much abouth the tigers beatin the yanks but yeh athletes are bigger stronger faster

and thats why i said its hard to judge thorpe as the greatest ever , although i prob would vote for him as well

well considering that track and field is watched by NO ONE, that was a pretty important matchup 2 guys boasting their the fastest man alive for a million bucks, something you cant do in the olympics set in skydome for the world to see and Bailey schooled him.

im not taking anything away from M johnson he probably is the best male sprinter ever , certainly the best ever at 200/400 but thats it

he is NOT the greatest athlete ever ...as you said period

...and no one watches the olympics right? And Johnson pulled his hamstring in that race so what's ur point? That race was all politics because Bailey was too damn chicken shit to run the 200.

And I guess the amount of viewers has something to do with his performance? Stop reaching for things.

Who's the greatest athlete in your opinion?

But if you took the 2003 Detroit Tigers and a little league team, the little league team would win 2 games to 1.

...and no one watches the olympics right? And Johnson pulled his hamstring in that race so what's ur point? That race was all politics because Bailey was too damn chicken shit to run the 200.

And I guess the amount of viewers has something to do with his performance? Stop reaching for things.

Who's the greatest athlete in your opinion?

your right no one watches the olympics.... overhyped advertisement garbage that is all they are now

well the greatest athlete in the world wouldnt pull a hammy and not back up his boasting of being the fastest man in the world

HOW am i reaching ?your the one making the statemnet that michael johnson is the greatest athlete period.

as i said before in agrreeing with jtk and most of the world in sayiing Jim thorpe

BUt if you wanna go with some one recently , take other track and field peeps who compete in all the events jumping running etc. or decathalon dudes

or take a look at D Winfield drafted by 3 pro sports teams baseball(also hall of famer) FOotball and basketball

BO Jackson , Deion all excelled to the point of competing at the pro level

being the greatest athlete in the world isnt being able to JUST sprint fast

your right no one watches the olympics.... overhyped advertisement garbage that is all they are now

well the greatest athlete in the world wouldnt pull a hammy and not back up his boasting of being the fastest man in the world

HOW am i reaching ?your the one making the statemnet that michael johnson is the greatest athlete period.

as i said before in agrreeing with jtk and most of the world in sayiing Jim thorpe

BUt if you wanna go with some one recently , take other track and field peeps who compete in all the events jumping running etc. or decathalon dudes

or take a look at D Winfield drafted by 3 pro sports teams baseball(also hall of famer) FOotball and basketball

BO Jackson , Deion all excelled to the point of competing at the pro level

being the greatest athlete in the world isnt being able to JUST sprint fast

Still reaching buddy...If I said just sprint fast I would've made Carl Lewis the greatest athlete...the longer sprints that more skill, focus and technique (and of course you ALL about track and field too right?)...it's not just excelling at different sports - it's complete and utter domination of their sport, which is what Johnson did...was Bo and Deon the number #1 athlete in both? no! And I think that took something AWAY from them. Windfield did his damage in 3 sports in college - do want me to pull out what Johnson did in college? Didn't think so.

I'm not a very big fan of decathletes either - cause u have to be "good enough" in 10 events. Just for shits and giggles I put my best times, jumps and throws into a table and it projected me at about 7400 points...decathlon means nothing to me, hence it's one of the eaiset events to score at in the NCAA's. The most overhyped event in the Olympics (next to the 100) is the Decathlon - because in any one event, if the raced elite athletes...hell even Division III athletes...they would get WIPED OUT.

Still reaching buddy...If I said just sprint fast I would've made Carl Lewis the greatest athlete...the longer sprints that more skill, focus and technique (and of course you ALL about track and field too right?)...it's not just excelling at different sports - it's complete and utter domination of their sport, which is what Johnson did...was Bo and Deon the number #1 athlete in both? no! And I think that took something AWAY from them. Windfield did his damage in 3 sports in college - do want me to pull out what Johnson did in college? Didn't think so.

I'm not a very big fan of decathletes either - cause u have to be "good enough" in 10 events. Just for shits and giggles I put my best times, jumps and throws into a table and it projected me at about 7400 points...decathlon means nothing to me, hence it's one of the eaiset events to score at in the NCAA's. The most overhyped event in the Olympics (next to the 100) is the Decathlon - because in any one event, if the raced elite athletes...hell even Division III athletes...they would get WIPED OUT.

how the fuck am i reaching ???please answer that

whatever dude your opinion that MICHAEL JOHNSON is the greatest athlete ever is just that then your opinion..

Im sure you and the 4 other people in the western hemisphere that share that opinion (m.j being one of those 4) will live a long happy life

but dont freak on me cause i challenge that statement with my own opinion , that i bet is shared by more people that MJ is not the greatest athlete as your opinion that he is.

Yeh bro i profess to be a expert in the world of track and field... lol

Track and field might be as important to me and the majority of the sports world as let say curling or field hockey

this thread was about basketball wasnt it??? :hat:

how the fuck am i reaching ???please answer that

whatever dude your opinion that MICHAEL JOHNSON is the greatest athlete ever is just that then your opinion..

Im sure you and the 4 other people in the western hemisphere that share that opinion (m.j being one of those 4) will live a long happy life

but dont freak on me cause i challenge that statement with my own opinion , that i bet is shared by more people that MJ is not the greatest athlete as your opinion that he is.

Yeh bro i profess to be a expert in the world of track and field... lol

Track and field might be as important to me and the majority of the sports world as let say curling or field hockey

this thread was about basketball wasnt it??? :hat:

MJ as in Michael Jordan? ;)

I ain't freakin man...no one will ever do what Michael Johnson did...which makes him the greatest athlete ever...until proven otherwise :hat:

MJ as in Michael Jordan? ;)

I ain't freakin man...no one will ever do what Michael Johnson did...which makes him the greatest athlete ever...until proven otherwise :hat:

mJ=magic johnson

mj=mark jackson

i can bring up a thousand athletes that have done things broke records etc. that noone else will ever do

does that make them the greatest athletes ever as well?

CY young is the greatest athlete ever ..period

mJ=magic johnson

mj=mark jackson

i can bring up a thousand athletes that have done things broke records etc. that noone else will ever do

does that make them the greatest athletes ever as well?

CY young is the greatest athlete ever ..period

It's not just the records...he was dominant for almost 10 years...I do agree though no one knows that because Track isn't mainstream

It's not just the records...he was dominant for almost 10 years...I do agree though no one knows that because Track isn't mainstream

yeah and what lance armstong has done makes that look like childs play. the fastest guy ever maybe but you have to remember is that most people do not go into track because the lack of money. If randy moss or prime time sanders or any of those guys put their time into track instead of football i bet they could of competed with him.

yeah and what lance armstong has done makes that look like childs play. the fastest guy ever maybe but you have to remember is that most people do not go into track because the lack of money. If randy moss or prime time sanders or any of those guys put their time into track instead of football i bet they could of competed with him.

Never...although Moss could've been an elite hurdler (two-time state champ in the hurdles).

Lance is right up there with him...