Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling's Review of the King and I @ Broward Center

Bling

Never having seen the "King and I" (also known as Anna and the King of Siam) I didnt really know what to expect. Though in the end, I agree with Carisa it was a somewhat drawn out story.

I attended the play with my sister, Dad, his friend and my Uncle. (yea did the family thing.. they barely see me as it is LOL )

The Broward center for those that have never been, is very nice. The main room has a three tiered balcony and a huge stage and large orchestra pit. It seats like 3,000 I was told.

This is defintily a wonderful place to take a date. Btw the drink prices were reasonable. (guess goin out to sobe so much makes drink prices elsewhere reasonable by comparison. )

The acting troupe was fantastic, lead by Sandy Duncan (famous for playing Peter Pan on Broadway) she played Anna flawlessly. Also, the King (whom was given harsh criticisms for being too short) was great.

The costumes and sets were spectacular (as it was set in the 1860's in Siam..... the children of the King were all very adorable in their costumes)

The story basically is about Anna a british schoolteacher who comes to Siam to teach the Easterner's about the West and to teach them a bit about modern living.

Anna throught the play fights to have a home on her own but the King makes her live in the palace.

At first, Anna despises the King. She hates the way the King has everyone bow to him and his arrogance. But over time, they become close friends up until his untimely death in the end to the fever (and a broken heart)

One of the reasons he has a broken heart, is because one of his concubines, tries to run off with a mere peasant (guy in army). By the end of the play, Anna was fed up and decided to leave Siam (sick of the treatment that women got in that country), but eventually she did end up staying for the children.....

Overseas meanwhile, The British saw The King and People of Siam as Barbarians. The King therefore asked for help (not really though because a "King" cant ask for advice) so Anna set up a beautiufl banquet for British dignataries visiting for Queen Victoria. She made the Siamese women dress up like British women and even taught the King to dance (the standout song of the show "Shall We Dance" )

By the end, the Siamese culture was indeed changed by Anna as the heir to the throne (one of Ana's pupils) declares a proclamation that there shall no longer be bowing to the King as its degrading.

The story was a bit drawn out I beleived. It really had no action like the previous play I saw. West Side Story. There was not much dancing except the scene where they sang (shall we dance) and this extended sequence of a play within a play.

At the end of the play Sandy Duncan came out and thanked everyone for showing (2,000 people ) packed....... OH btw they had a full live orchestra this time around. great stuff.

The music was excellent and so were the sets, costumes and acting.

next play i want to see is "HELLO DOLLY" its playing in coral springs till January at this little theater (local production.. nothing big like this...... ....... so if a certain someone is interestted in goin let me know )

PS (the rum and cokes at the broward center are strongggggggggg ) drank it like in 2 min cuz it took forever to get it during the intermission and had to go back in for the second half so i downed it fast... got a niceeee buzz LOL

next play i want to see is "HELLO DOLLY" its playing in coral springs till January at this little theater (local production.. nothing big like this...... ....... so if a certain someone is interestted in goin let me know )

Let me know when this is and if it works out Id love to go with you. (Just dont write a review about me) ;)