Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hamas Rejects Palestinian Leader's Pleas

igloo

AP

Hamas Rejects Palestinian Leader's Pleas

Tue Nov 16, 1:37 PM ET

By IBRAHIM BARZAK, Associated Press Writer

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Islamic militant groups behind many suicide bombings dismissed on Tuesday a call from interim Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas to halt attacks in the run-up to a Jan. 9 election to replace Yasser Arafat (news - web sites).

Abbas, who is trying to work out a deal with rival Palestinian groups on a cease-fire and possible power-sharing, resisted a call by the groups for a share of power despite their planned boycott of the Jan. 9 election.

Hamas and Islamic Jihad do not accept the presence of a Jewish state in the Middle East. They refuse to take part in governments formed as a result of agreements with Israel and say they will not participate in the election.

However, the two movements, responsible for hundreds of deadly attacks against Israelis in four years of violence, are demanding a leadership role outside the electoral process. They want a "unified leadership" that would exert influence on the Palestinian government.

Abbas was cool to the idea and recommended instead that even if they skip the presidential race, the radical groups try their hand in parliamentary elections to be held at an unspecified later date. He is said to be proposing parliamentary and local elections four or five months after the vote.

The only other election held since the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) was established, in 1996, combined presidential and parliamentary voting, and the Islamic groups did not take part.

Abbas is also urging the radical groups to halt attacks against Israelis during the election campaign, said Ziad Abu Amr, a lawmaker participating in the talks,

"(Abbas) said the elections need security, stability and quiet," Abu Amr said. "There is no possibility to conduct elections while we are in a situation of war and conflict."

Hamas leaders dismissed the truce call. "This subject is not under discussion in Hamas," said Ismail Haniyeh, a leader if the Islamic group. Another leader, Mahmoud Zahar, said first Israel must stop its attacks, and then Hamas would consider how to respond.

Islamic Jihad leader Sheik Nafez Azzam said it was "too early" to consider a cease-fire. "The top priority is to confront the (Israeli) occupation and its aggression," he said.

Since Arafat's death on Thursday, Israel has scaled back its military operations, especially in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites), though nightly arrest raids continue in the West Bank.

Abbas served briefly as Palestinian prime minister in 2003 and succeeded in negotiating a unilateral Palestinian cease-fire that summer. However, it broke down after six weeks in a flurry of Palestinian attacks and Israeli counterstrikes.

Abbas, 69, is the leading candidate in the race to replace Arafat as president of the Palestinian Authority, but he won't run unopposed. Younger members of his Fatah (news - web sites) movement favor Marwan Barghouti, the West Bank Fatah leader serving five life terms in an Israeli prison. At least two independent candidates are considering running as well.

Gaza strongman Mohammed Dahlan, considered a possible Arafat successor, took himself out of the race Tuesday, throwing his support to Abbas. The two are close allies.

"Abu Mazen could be the bridge between the past, the present and the future," Dahlan told reporters Tuesday in Gaza City, using Abbas' nickname.

European Union (news - web sites) members are seeking ways to ensure the election is a success. A British diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Britain is paying for an adviser to help the Palestinians set up the elections.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana, who met Sunday with Abbas, Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia, Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath and Dahlan, "is convinced that the present leadership can organize elections in 60 days," said his spokeswoman, Christina Gallach.

Also Tuesday, an Israeli economist totaled up the cost of four years of violence to the two sides and came up with huge amounts — $12 billion for Israel and $4.5 billion for the Palestinians.

Danny Singerman, chief economist at the research firm Business Data Israel, said the Palestinian uprising cut the Palestinian GDP (news - web sites) by about 30 percent and Israeli GDP by 10 percent.

In September, the United Nations (news - web sites) said that three out of four Palestinians are living in poverty.

Hamas and Islamic Jihad do not accept the presence of a Jewish state in the Middle East. They refuse to take part in governments formed as a result of agreements with Israel and say they will not participate in the election.

This is why there will be no Palestine while terrorists run Hammas and IJ. Not only wont there be, there shouldnt be. Muslim terrorists dont get to lead nations.

I am not saying it is right, but they all loved the man even though he was rich and they were living in poverty. And he had people blow themselves up so they are all drinking the same kool aid over there. I still don't understand how he got this money.

I am not saying it is right, but they all loved the man even though he was rich and they were living in poverty. And he had people blow themselves up so they are all drinking the same kool aid over there. I still don't understand how he got this money.

Met too---I do not understand how he is able to get away with accumulating this wealth. I have bitching about this for a long, long time--and that is when I thought he had $1.2 billion....not $4-6 billion!

I find it equally remarkable that there is not outrage at this, from both the Arab world and Western media.........or any kind of investigation. This is an abolsute outrage and fraud---where the fuck is the media on this???

No need to answer that--some, like the NY Times, are still gushing over this "leader". I am sure if the Arab media did cover this, they would somehow blame this on the Israeli's.

With respects to the Palestinian people loving him......I think that is testament to something that is terribly wrong with Palestinian society------everything from education to media to religious schools, etc.....they simply do not know the truth or reality in instances like this.

$6 billion dollars could have been of big assistance to Palestinian infrastructure---much more so than his wife's fucking shopping spree's in Paris.

Met too---

No need to answer that--some, like the NY Times, are still gushing over this "leader". I am sure if the Arab media did cover this, they would somehow blame this on the Israeli's.

With respects to the Palestinian people loving him......I think that is testament to something that is terribly wrong with Palestinian society------everything from education to media to religious schools, etc.....they simply do not know the truth or reality in instances like this.

$6 billion dollars could have been of big assistance to Palestinian infrastructure---much more so than his wife's fucking shopping spree's in Paris.

I feel bad for the palenstinian people who were dupped by their beloved leader. Its not like they have the internet or press. The info they get is basically lies. They believe what they are told; which is basically that isreal is the cause of all their problems. Anybody see death from GAza that HBO special?

With all the money stolen from them, each palenstinian should have a home with a volvo.

Met too---I do not understand how he is able to get away with accumulating this wealth. I have bitching about this for a long, long time--and that is when I thought he had $1.2 billion....not $4-6 billion!

I find it equally remarkable that there is not outrage at this, from both the Arab world and Western media.........or any kind of investigation. This is an abolsute outrage and fraud---where the fuck is the media on this???

Yeah, WTF is the ARab media doing?? I can't believe there isn't more inquiry ore at least talk about this!!

lets not get out of control. leaders typically have more money and for the most part do not help their people in that way. But in his case seeing how his people were that bad off he should of.

This has to be almost all real estate right?

Yeah, WTF is the ARab media doing?? I can't believe there isn't more inquiry ore at least talk about this!!

Former US ambassador Walker urges US government to lead international effort to locate Arafat’s hidden funds to prevent their continued use for terror and corruption.

:clap2: