Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Today's House Mix...

philippio

You should seriously listen to this mix... one of my favorites, so far!

Johnny Fiasco Biography/Discography (courtesy of Om Records)

Unlike most of his colleagues, Johnny Fiasco's musical background lies in rock & roll. Before turning his energies to house productions and DJing, Chicago native Johnny Fiasco (whose real last name was Lopez) started his musical escapade playing the guitar. Where most house producers draw their influence from disco and funk greats, Fiasco turns to the Police, Talking Heads, Rush, and Herbie Hancock. Fiasco's first production was for Trax Records on the track called "Zig Zag." His sophomore EP was the "Progretto Fiasco" release, which unleashed him into the big time production circles. In time, Fiasco made his way to the acclaimed Chicago house label, Cajual Records, started by the legendary Cajmere. The reputation of Cajual, and his work for the label, launched Fiasco into a catalog of singles and recordings for other labels. In April of 2000, Fiasco released his first full length mix CD, Cluster, on Afterhours. Unfortunately, the man who asked Fiasco to do the album, Andy Adams (head of Afterhours), died shortly after the request, and the album was quickly turned into a tribute album to the label runner.

by Diana Potts

Johnny Fiasco kicks the house evolution into overdrive

BY RANDY CHOW

"Those were the fastest years of my life," reminisces Johnny Fiasco about the early '90s, when he, Derrick Carter and Mark Farina were all spinning at Chicago house institution Shelter. Their residency served as the prelude to the Cajual Records era -- a time that would introduce the world to a sound that was truly inspirational.

"I was going to college full-time and spinning three nights a week, doing Thursdays at Shelter. It really was kind of a cultural clique-family that we had."

And he's been bringing people together ever since. Johnny's records are widely regarded as being some of the tightest tracks around. There's a depth, quality and complexity in his productions that make his house stand tall above the rest -- odds are that there's a Fiasco 12-inch sitting in every house aficionado's crate. Be they disco or Latin, his tracks simply reflect his current frame of mind while in the studio.

"It's kind of an evolving thing where one month you'll strike some serious inspiration on a particular project and that spawns a whole slew of different productions," he explains. "Lately I've been going back to the Chicago roots and getting a little hardcore with my beats, but still maintaining a very simple melody that's melodic and not just all straight-up beats and being overly wacky. You just kind of roll with it. My biggest conflict is that I've always had extremes -- not beliefs, but interests in doing a bunch of different types of music formats.

"Call it whatever the hell you want to call it, man, it's all house music," he adds with a laugh. "When you walk in that store, you've got classical, you've got jazz, you've got pop, Latin, and you're gonna have house. Any other sub-category you can think of or name, fine -- it's all house music, period. It's still premature. Look what jazz went through. In 20 more years, we'll see house evolve into something pretty nice."

To keep that evolution going, Fiasco tries to release at least four to five singles a year. "I've cut 'em down quite a bit. There have been deals with the newer startups like Doubledown Recordings that have worked out great for all the people concerned.

"I've known the guy at that label for quite a long time," Fiasco continues. "He's like, 'I'm starting this label, what do you need contractually?' And I told him exactly what I needed and we worked it out, no problem -- it turned out there was a lot more money after the advance was paid. It felt more real to me being able to associate with a new label trying to create a new identity and do the same thing only under a much more controlled circumstance. I'm going to stick to that formula for now."

Fiasco's incomparable skills as a remixer continue to be in high demand --check out his fabulous reworkings of Miguel Graca's "Speak My Mind" or DJ Colette's "Try for Her Love."

"If there's a particular project that's out there that I really like, I go after it," he explains. "But now I'm spending more time trying to develop new talent and new artists as well as trying to find very cool projects to remix.

"Right now I'm working on a remix for Soulstice, the 'Lovely' track, which is just an incredible fucking song. They approached me with that and I was like, 'Oh, absolutely!' I'm definitely not going to let that one go."

But while Fiasco has done many vocal remixes for other artists, it does seem peculiar that he hasn't worked with vocalists on his original productions. "I haven't been inspired by a particular project or vocalist yet," he reflects. "From my experience in working with an artist, I've just tended to stay away from that. From a remix perspective, it's a whole different story, just like working with vocalists in general. I haven't done a legitimate vocal in -- God, I can't tell you how long -- since I had an episode that didn't make me feel too good. It was an incredible learning experience. I like working in my own little world."

But while Fiasco prefers working in private, he considers his tracks public goods -- when it comes to Napster, he's fully down with downloading. "It's pretty much like trading cards," he explains. "Above and beyond everything that all the major record labels are crying about, it's going to be developed into a serious tool that I hope will be used to the artist's advantage. I say go with it, roll with it. It's taking on the major labels -- they're all shitting bullets, and we, as artists, all like that."

Although on-line song-swapping is still in the process of being regulated, Fiasco figures, "If you got 20 cents per download you'd be getting more than if it were on a compilation or an album on a major label. In that sense, I love it. I'm sorry, but I don't think we could do anything without being wired in this industry. I'm going to be uploading a lot of stuff." (Check out for MP3s.)

It's one thing to hear Fiasco through your computer, but it ain't nothing compared to his club sets. And each time he comes back to Toronto, it's a special thing -- for us, and him.

"Toronto is a lot more educated, it has more events going on, more culture as far as the different walks of life that live in that city," he concludes. "Toronto is still far, far ahead of the States and Chicago." :D