Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How do I find an apartment for rent in Manhattan?

dzadza

I never exepcted finding an apt in Manhattan be SUCH a pain in the butt... I'm getting really frustrated. Almost all ads in Times and Village Voice are either brokers trying to pull an extra 15% off a years rent or companies trying to charge $150 for some outdated apt listing they have. Can someone help me? May be point a useful source? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

when i first moved to ny. i used the village voice ads. there are apts with no brokers fees(most of them are tiny studios) i got a good deal and i didnt' pay brokers fees(but it was $600/mo tiny(250sq feet) in hells kitchen w/o bathroom). i lived in manhattan before and let me tell you unless you live in an apt that costs $2500 or more, you are better off living in the other boroughs or the suburbs at much cheaper rents

What's your ideal / maximum rent? Where are you looking to live? Do you have any peeps you would consider rooming with?

Just asking, since my building is really nice, but too expensive for 1 person to live in solo, IMHO. Check the move at http://www.riverplacenyc.com/welcomefr1.htm , HTH......

------------------

-=Vejita=-

"Live through the week. Live for the weekend."

Originally posted by vejita:

What's your ideal / maximum rent? Where are you looking to live? Do you have any peeps you would consider rooming with?

Just asking, since my building is really nice, but too expensive for 1 person to live in solo, IMHO. Check the move at <A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.riverplacenyc.com/welcomefr1.htm" TARGET=_blank&gt;http://www.riverplacenyc.com/welcomefr1.htm</A> , HTH......

I was hoping to get a decent size studio, up to $1700 (the lower the better), but so far had very little luck. As far as the place, I don't really care much. I'm kind of short on time, need to find something quickly, so I'm not really picky. I was at the riverplace building Sat., it was probably the most realistic choice I've seen so far, but the studios were starting from $1840. Sharing would probably be a good idea, but I lived with roommates last 4 yrs, and want a place for myself now. Guess I'm asking too much wink.gif

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

there is a book out that you can buy called "manhattan apartment rentals" - or something like that. just go to any barnes and noble and ask - they'll know what you're talking about. anyway, it's a list of all the management companies for a lot of the buildings in manhattan. it's broken up into all the different sections of manhattan (soho, village, upper west side, etc) and it lists phone numbers of the management company, what kind of apartments are available in that building (1BR, 2Br, etc.), etc. if you call the management company directly, you can avoid the broker's fee. that's how my roommate and i found our apartment. we managed to avoid over $4,000 in fees. you have to be persistant though and some of the management companies use brokers exclusively, but for the most part, you can avoid calling brokers with this book. i can get you the exact name, but it's at home, so if you can wait till tomorrow...

hope this helps.

www.rent.net www.apartments.com www.move.com

I have never used these but they might be helpful...

T

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

what ever you do , DO NOT join one of those listing agencies. That are ALL frauds! Belive me, I went through it!

It took me 5 months to find a one bed room in Manhattan under $2k a month.

You have to be presistant!

Here's a number to call. They are a Building MAnagment and own a bunch of building on the East side. The Apt.s are really nice and relativly cheap. 212.517.3000.

Call and ask if they have any apts available. Call like 5 times a day! They get apts. all the time. and theres no Brokers Fee!

Any questions PM me.

D.

actually, the apartment rentals book yuhwoo is talking about, i picked up a copy 2 months ago. it was pretty useful, even though i didn't get an apartment through it, it had tons of useful info and good suggestions. worth it just for the tips...

I had 3 weeks to find a place last August.

1. I think you need to be close enough to look in person.

2. Listings are crap, forget them.

3. Ask everyone you meet.

I had to settle on NJ. Consider it. There are places close enough to PATH stations at decent rent and better space.

I actually found a small 2 bedroom for $650 and can be in Manhattan in under an hour. You can do much better with your rent window.

Weehawkin is close to a ferry whicg goes straight to 42nd street. Hobokin is close to a subway. Jersey City too, straight to World Trade center, then all of NYC.

Good luck... I know how you feel. smile.gif

apartment shopping is the wrost. When we were looking for an apt we tried the brokers listings where you pay a flat fee then no brokers fee's after that.

If you have someone to love with, I lived at Waterside plaza on the east side for a while and absolutley loved it. You can go there in person and there aren't any fee's involved. It was great there. right near Stuvesant town. The complex has its own bar, restaurant, gym, supermarket etc, and a kick ass view. Its worth looking into. cwm35.gif

Hey --

I live on 6th ave and 8th street (actually its Christopher, but right at that corner) and its a great building, a studio (HUGE walk in closet, big bathroom, nice little kitchen & high ceilings w/ brick walls - with elevator, video security, laundry, dishwashers etc... I pay $1625 , been here a year. The studios on other floors are probably $1700 now, but its worth it for this area. Anyway if you want the info or number, I have a woman you can call who will hook you up. Its the BEST PART OF THE CITY you're like 5 minutes from everywhere!!!! And no fee too smile.gif

MissDiva19@aol.com

------------------

..."We come to love not by finding a perfect person...but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"...

MissDiva19@aol.com

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. That manhattan apartment rentals book sounds like something really useful. I didn't know it existed. I was desperate to the point that I was walking around and asking the doormans if there are any rentals. That book would have helped for sure. But it looks like yesterday I got lucky and found something reasonable, a decent size studio on W 44th str. (9th and 10th) for $1100, so I'm filling out the paperwork now. I'll have to pay 2K in brokerage fees but it still comes up much cheaper than anythnig else I've seen. MissDiva - can you pm or email me the phone # of that woman? I'm still looking at some more apts before I sign all the papers today. Thanks again.

mhernew@hotmail.com

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

[This message has been edited by dzadza (edited 11-21-2000).]