Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Roger Sanchez @space part.... the Kid Colione review

colione98

Well, brotherz and sistaz, I'll start today's review with a couple of quotes...

An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools." --Ernest Hemmingway

A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help

you move a body.

-Unknown

So, without furdue-adue ladies and gents.............Shall we begin?

It’s 0540 when my wife and I left for the early morning festivities. We arrived at about 0606 and found a great parking meter a block ahead. We could here the exotic tribalism pumping from the terrace, which created echoes between the establishments. As we parked, we just moving out here, are not use to what I call the “alley catz†roaming the streets of Miami. Two of them started to argue of who was going to hit me up for some dough. I let them carry on as my wife put on her make up.

At this point, I was frustrated cause I was like, “Baby, we spent 20 minutes on the road and you are just now doing thisâ€. Mean while, the “alley catz†were talking about “this is my spot homie. You can’t roll up on my sh!t and try to hustle me out homie†Being amused by the art of alley cat hustling, I told him that when I come back, that whomever is here, I will give a little something to. They agreed and blessed me… On the other block, one had a sign that read “why lie, I need a beerâ€. I said, “man you got that off BET and MTVâ€. To my surprise, he responded with, “homie, I been had this sign way before Jadakiss homieâ€â€¦â€¦. In my mind, I was like wow!

Nuff small chatter! We took our positions in line and to our surprise, people were stumbling out from the exit path and a fresh crew was entering through the other. It was as though we were witnessing a shift change…LoL.

I purchased the tickets via e-ticket to save a couple x-mas bucks but being the first time @ space, I waited on line like a dumb @ss. We got to the ticket booth but ole girl referred us back to the front man. I tell you what, it’s certainly not like NYC where this is a cut off time to obtain your e-tickets. It may have been due to the 0600 time of commence but I do not recall any note of that while reading the regulations of receipt….

We gave up the tickets and proceeded to enter that oh, so fine establishment! We were focused. I mean, we were determined to head straight to the terrace without any delay whatsoever but could not help over hearing the sounds “Culo†by Pitbull from the coolie riddim as we passed the first room- I suppose the hip hop room. No, staying focused, we entered Space’s main room. I could tell cause I noticed the piping structure with the disco ball in the middle. Couldn’t no tell who the dj was and wasn’t curious either.

We were hallowed by the sounds of an unknown track in its breakdown form. I can’t recall the name, however, a perfect entry I must say. 0625, packed as heck. Meat heads/Juiceheads elevated on the platforms executing their robotic movements to the blaring highs. Gorgeous people surrounding the upper level railing. Just beautiful! An after-hour Big Room at it’s finest!

The track began to build, disco light glittering, the bass line rumbling as though a wild animal trapped in a cage, highs pitched and screaming for relief..,,,,, rumble, rumble, flare, flare, flare, flange, flange, eq’s tweaked……………..lights out…… Silence…………. And the beat drops complimented by an array of fist pumping and yelling. Holly SH!T,,,,,,,,,, And that is when I came to the realization that…… I am in f^*king Miami and the best thing about that is that we are so close to the United States……

Still, I was determined to remain focus on my mission at hand-, which was to find the freaking terrace! I said to myself “Colione, Roger the “S-man†is in the building somewhere. Let’s go!†So, I am sorry, no review on the big room………

Like two lost ones, we searched but had no idea how to get to the terrace. I went back to the first room and asked this bartender. The nerve, he had his back towards me and turned his head waiting for my question. I said “buddy, at least give the consideration of looking me in the eyes as I speak to youâ€. I may have well received a beating by that ogre but I was in no mood for miss-guidance, people. I wanted straightforward directions……… bottom line! And so he turned around and gave me what I was in dire need of. Information leading up to where the one and only Roger Sanchez graced the decks in the cool crisp air…Of CLUB SPACE ON THE TERRACE…..............

to be continued………….

Hope you enjoyed this so far and be on the look out for part 2

cont'd- part 2

...............And so he turned around and gave me what I was in dire need of. Information leading up to where the one and only Roger Sanchez graced the decks in the cool crisp air…Of CLUB SPACE ON THE TERRACE…..............

Feeling the cool air on our faces as we reached the top of the stairs of glory, I knew we were only moments away.

0631- and so we entered onto the terrace. Something I had never experience ever before, waking up at 0430, my body was still in sleep mode. It was one of those things that only the ones that have ever had the pleasure of being on the terrace would be able to comprehend. Even after all my 7 years of traveling, partying and living overseas, I found it extremely remarkable.

Once again upon entry, we were sanctified by the S-man as seen from a distance laying down the track of MAW- featuring India. I can't recall the name at this time. The mood was perfect I tell you. Just as expected not to hard, not to soft. Cool vibe and great weather. We stood by the patio closest to entry and observed. There were some empty spots on the floor. I was disappointed but I thought about it for a minute. Roger knows what he is doing. It's a matter of time and discipline. At this point, we decided to hit the dance floor whilst being grazed by the heating lamps.

As we got closer to the center, the overall sounds and deep bass lines became more outstanding. The tunes allowed for a perfect commencement… And that’s when it began. People, dancing and moving uncontrollably. Here I am trying to do my thing and cats just bumping and grinding on me. And the dance floor wasn’t even packed I tell you! It was as though, once they felt you, it was more for them to back up on you. Insane. But nonetheless, I accepted it for it was my choice to arrive sober.

Now, at this time, Roger is mainly mixing intro/outro and still waiting for his after hour crowd. I’m dancing, holding it down and in comes this remix of an old skool classic “let the music play†by Shannon. I opened my eyes and noticed a pack floor. That’s when I knew that downstairs was done. It was a rap. Let’s do this!

He starts dropping gem after gem. Riding tracks as ever. Tweaking that little Pioneer efx 500 and making that bad boy hurt. He rides the intro of “feel the vibe†by Axwell on the outgoing track for about a 4 count. -Approximately 30 seconds. The first breakdown of “feel the vibe†sets in. Lowers the bass of the outgoing-flanges it, then releases the ever so popular echoe/stutter effect on the outgoing track… All you hear is a fray of highs and mids accompanied by the words… “You gotta feel the vibeâ€â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦ the beat drops and insanity has kicked in on the terrace.

He drops a couple unknown tracks to me and then I hear the riding of that ONLY track. He rides it for another 4 count and echoes out the outgoing track. All you hear is the sizzling of the speakers complimented by percussions, highs and effects…slight build up and the divine sweetness of a women’s voice entraps the dance floor and hovers as day breaks under shelter half. You hear the lyrics…. “Leaning on the sumbalun, burning sunshine once a month, the milder days are in the rain… And yes, if you didn’t know, “Burning Sunshineâ€- Callea and Rispoli mix by Coco Bongo, played by both Pete tong and Roger on their mix shows.

To my surprise, it did not quite get the praise that it deserved. And that’s when Roger knew that the space crowd was there to stay. He flooded the speakers with the new wave electric,house/Tribal sounds on the verge of techy at times that Miami has been recently been exposed to. It was as thought he brought the main room tunes outside. From there, it was some more deep tribal with diva vocals and dropped an MAW old skool classic of “Sume Sigh Sayâ€- 2004 sample remake by Daddys Groove called “tributeâ€. The speakers nearly dropped to the deck.

It was at around 0950 and that’s when I decided it was not for me. Not necessarily the vibe or the crowd but the tunes. I was not feeling the tunes as was anticipated. If I was with a group of friends and had been partying all night- oh, for sure! No doubt! But as I saw it, it was the terrace, Sunday Morning; I was anticipating some Uplifting, Percussive-Funky/Club/Latin house tracks with a hint of the new wave electric/progressive tribal. – A balance of all the house genres. But as I said previously, he brought too many the big room tunes outside. If I wanted that, I would have been there earlier that night… But for those that wanted it, well received it- without question!

As far as the crowd- a lot of Pretty Riickies. Don’t get it twisted, not referring to the gay but more so the cool cats with shades and the funky- button down, retro shirts... A lot of muscle heads with shirts off and (zits the size of sausage links on their backs). Nah, just kidding. Lol. But overall cool crowd and definitely a place to be as an after hour spot. It gave some cats a chance to rock their black leathers and denims. Although the tunes harder than I expected, it did have an Upstate type feel to it. There was a hint and I am not going to lie- no spiked hairs though… It reminded me of the days when I was in Rangoon, Burma (southeast Asia) during Water Festival.

Until next review, it’s the kid colione signing off.

..how much did you give up to the 'alley catz'??

lol... Actually, nobody ended up showing up except for another one who was bidding us a safe ride home. He asked me for $.60 so I ended up giving my toll money.......... He probably wanted some hot chocolate.