Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Water Festival 2004-

colione98

Well ladies and gentlemen; these are the fine pics of the 2004 annual water festival in Rangoon Burma. It is held between the 12-16 of April. It is usually for 3 days but do to this year being the leap year, it went for an extra 2 days. And of that Saturday the 17th is the Burmese New Year’s Day.

Although I am not a certified photographer, I took the time to systematically take a few shots for your informative enjoyment. These shots are taken from one week prior to the festival until the last day with everything in between. I did not include any freaky pics due to the fact that these photos are for YOUR SENSE OF ENJOYMENT and not to incriminate myself in any way, shape or form. Therefore, I ask that you so kindly refrain from the constant begging of freaky pics. Those will come in due time or on a need to know/see basis. Wink, Wink :)

Anyway, to give you a brief (I will try) yet, thorough breakdown for those of you unaware of the existence of water festival, water festival is a time of madness! Basically, in short, panels are set up all over the city and in some parts of the countryside. The main attraction is located on University Avenue and Inya Lake. They are located there due to a lake providing water, which is pumped into a filter in each panel’s water supply and then distributed among the many hoses along the stage. Mind you, not all panel filters run well.

As you will or should have seen from the photos, there are colorful string-like hoses dangling from the front sides. The individuals spray water on each other with them. Basically, I really don’t have to go into much detail as far as the water spraying procedures because the photos are self-explanatory. But what I want to get into is the general scene.

For 5 days straight, Mon-Friday, the two roads are filled with about 25 panels. The panels are aligned in an L shaped formation due to the lake being fronted by homes and restaurants. To properly visualize this scene- its like you are driving from your house. Driving up the street with panels on both sides for about half a mile. Then take a right at the light and continue forward meeting more panels. The streets are packed with pedestrians and pick up trucks with people on the back of them. The streets are so packed that the streets become one way and the trucks just go round and round the block. The whole course from start to end is about 2 miles long.

I really want to cut short and stop writing but there is so much to explain. One could not even begin to fathom the craziness unless you have actually experienced it. There is so much to get into so please bare with me. Trust me, even I could not figure out what the hype was about. Its not until you see the main road in front of your house filled with panels and drunk Burmese running around spraying water on you that you finally realize what water festival is all about.

Life in Burma- life in the city pretty much ceases to exist for the entire week. For one straight week, all shopping centers, markets, banks, offices, local Restaurants and even the embassies are closed. This is due to the high traffic volume during this period. Obviously if you need daily provisions, certain corner shops are open. But most major retail stores are shut down. It takes us about 1 hour to get to work which usually takes 10-15 min. Yes, the Marines work. Oh you don’t know? Marines on this program don’t have holidays or sick days!! Its alright because we work on the average of 13 days a month J Anyway, enough about me. Lets get into the good stuff.

Panel procedures- about two weeks prior, the sponsors of each panel begin selling tickets. These tickets are sold at cost for a week pass or daily pass. The cost is around 5 bucks per day or you do the math for a weeks pass. So, you buy your ticket and receive a spot on the panel. You are not designated a particular place because there are no seats but you receive a tag that grants you entrance to enjoy the festivities.

Panel set ups- each panel consists of its own Dj that provides really, really loud music through about six 18-inch speakers. There are approximately 30 slim water hoses along with wet, drunken Burmese men and women dancing and singing along with the music.

Street vendors- along the sides of the streets become the everlasting opportunity for the Burmese local vendors to make a quick buck or two. I was shocked and amazed at the sight of dishes that were being sold. Mind you, I now know why we are cautioned no to eat off the streets. I saw everything from crickets to whole birds. Speaking of birds, I had to do a double take when I saw a platter of fried birds. You are thinking, a bird, cooked well enough is probably safe for human consumption. Well, sorry to add but if you can see a fried bird cooked to a golden crisp with it’s feet, neck, and mouth still attached, there is something not right!!! How else would I have known it was a bird if I had not seen the full body figure? On the other hand, 1litre whiskey bottles were being soled at 2 bucks so I couldn’t pass that up. Now don’t go thinking I am an alcoholic. It is said that an intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with foolsJ

Daily Routine- the festivities begin bright and early at 0830 in the morning. Unfortunately, all this happens on my block so therefore I am woken up to the loud music and joyful cries. Funny as it may sound, the government shuts off all electricity to the main power supply between 12 noon and 2 pm. This is considered lunch or break time. Go figure… Everyone scatters around to local venues for lunch. At 2 pm sharp, power is restored and the madness begins again until about 6 pm.

Overall I had a good time. I still can’t imagine how some people could stay on the panels everyday for 8 hours straight getting wet. One thing that I did not like was the throwing of ice water. Some people filled their water guns with ice water and sprayed people as they walked buy. Others had tanks of ice water on the pick up trucks and spayed it into the crowd. And one more thing that I still puzzles me. Look carefully at the pictures. Don’t you notice that most of the people are fully dressed with jeans and jackets? I still can’t get over that. Me, I wore the same wet sneakers with a pair of shorts and cut off shirt. There is no way I am getting my fine fabric ruined.

Well, I hope you are now fully informed and now know the true facts behind Water Festival Rangoon Burma. Until next time…

While you there, take advantage of Bangkok, Thailand which is 30 minutes away by plane- All you need is a valid passport- They give on arrival visa's for $10 US- Shhhh..... Keep it on the low- Southeast is a little unknown secret........ I brought my digital camera, Ipod and software for all under $100 bucks- sorry, no manual though... LoL