Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Omar just sent me an email....

majinbuu

Fellow Mets Fans,

In a few minutes, I will step to the podium here at Shea Stadium to officially introduce Pedro Martinez as the newest member of your New York Mets. Before I do that, I wanted to send you a quick note to share my thoughts on this acquisition.

I am thrilled that we have signed Pedro to a four-year deal, adding not only the best pitcher available in the free agent market, but also one who ranks among the best in the history of the game. Pedro Martinez makes our entire pitching staff stronger, and our starting rotation will be among the best in the game. This is an important step in our plan to get our team back to winning, and to our ultimate goal of a World Series championship for our fans.

Pedro's signing sends a powerful message about ownership's commitment to provide us the resources to bring championship-caliber players to Shea. I believe his presence will also make us a more attractive team to other free agent players. His popularity transcends just the Dominican Republic or even all of Latin America. He is a bona fide premium ace who will bring excitement and energy to our club.

(NY Mets)

I am confident in Pedro's physical condition. Yesterday afternoon, he passed an extensive physical exam by our team doctors at the Hospital for Special Surgery. This included a battery of diagnostic tests, including MRI's. Pedro is only 33 years old and will deliver plenty of quality pitching over the next four years. His former team was willing to commit to a major three-year contract and Pedro had guaranteed multi-year offers of up to four-years from other clubs. In fact, after word of our possible deal got out on Monday, several clubs tried to get back into the mix with improved offers.

While we are excited about this announcement, efforts to improve our team will continue. We are working on a number of possible deals or signings that would boost our offense by filling spots in the outfield and first base, while keeping to our overall philosophy that pitching-and-defense is the foundation of winning baseball. I will let you know about further good news as it happens.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy holiday.

We look forward to the New Year and the new season.

Sincerely,

Omar Minaya,

Executive Vice President & General Manager

Just got finished watching the announcement....I was impressed with Pedro, he held himself up very well

It's ashame as a Mets fan you gotta be somewhat pessimistic but who knows...maybe this one will work out for us...I know I'll be lining up trying to get tickets to see him pitch

He had nothing but great things to say about Omar Minaya, the Red Sox fans but you can tell he's upset that Boston mngt wouldn't go that extra step to keep him...he would have loved to stay there

Just got finished watching the announcement....I was impressed with Pedro, he held himself up very well

It's ashame as a Mets fan you gotta be somewhat pessimistic but who knows...maybe this one will work out for us...I know I'll be lining up trying to get tickets to see him pitch

He had nothing but great things to say about Omar Minaya, the Red Sox fans but you can tell he's upset that Boston mngt wouldn't go that extra step to keep him...he would have loved to stay there

i mean..its not that long ago the mets were in the world series....thats more than alot of teams can say....

i mean..its not that long ago the mets were in the world series....thats more than alot of teams can say....

that's true but it kind of sucks that you get to the WS and than things collapse the way they did...I would just be happy if the team stays healthy for the season so we could get a chance to see some of the younger guys and get a feel for where we are really at

either way I can't wait for the season to start

i dont think many sox fans care. they would've been happy if he stayed and they are probably ok with him leaving. i'm sure the sox will still try to pursue another quality pitcher, who is younger, to replace him in their rotation.

theres got to be a reason why there is no interest in this guy....pedro was the best pitcher on the market...why all the complaints?

Because they overpaid for him. He has a torn labrum, which obviously resulted in his lack of endurance and arm stength this year. Perez, Milton, Pavano, Hudson, Clement, Burnett...all these pitchers are or have been available but Omar is no where to be found. Don't you think Beltran would be a better investment than Pedro? I would much rather the Mets overpay him. It's just frustrating when the Mets say they are going to get younger and faster, then turn around and make moves like this. We constantly saw Phillips and Duquette do this, but I thought Minaya would be the total opposite. Maybe Wilpon has more of a hand in the team than we think?

Because they overpaid for him. He has a torn labrum, which obviously resulted in his lack of endurance and arm stength this year. Perez, Milton, Pavano, Hudson, Clement, Burnett...all these pitchers are or have been available but Omar is no where to be found. Don't you think Beltran would be a better investment than Pedro? I would much rather the Mets overpay him. It's just frustrating when the Mets say they are going to get younger and faster, then turn around and make moves like this. We constantly saw Phillips and Duquette do this, but I thought Minaya would be the total opposite. Maybe Wilpon has more of a hand in the team than we think?

Watch out man...if you say anything bad against your team here...you're not a true fan! :shake:

who gives a fuck if they overpaid him? it aint my $..... think about the fact they got one of the top free agent pitchers there was available torn labrum or not. he passed a physical. if his shoulder was so bad, then why did the team holding his med records offer to pay him for 3 years? i think you have to look at this as a great sign. i mean who else was out there to head up the rotation? pavano...? please...

if pedro signs with us you have to belive that someother big move will happen. pedro wouldnt come to queens without a big bat right behind him.

Your alternative to signing Pedro is Beltran? How does that make any sense? The Mets needed an Ace. Beltran is a center fielder. Besides, with Beltran were talking a shitload more money. Pedro signed for 4 years at around 54 million. Beltran is demanding upward of 100 million. I think the Mets are rationalizing that they can sign both Pedro AND Delgado for that kind of money. You suggested that they'd be better off signing Perez, Milton, Hudson, Clement or Burnett....Well, Pedro is better than all of them with the exception of Hudson. But they were never in the hunt for Hudson. Milton? Dude led the league in HR's allowed and had an ERA hovering around 5. Pavano was going to either Boston or the Yanks,and Burnett and Clment just aren't that good (Yanks had an offer on the table from the Marlins for Vasquez for Burnett, which they declined)

Pedro is only 33. Why are so many Met fans bitching about this? Just look at all of these power pitchers who are pitching well into their 30's and even 40's. Clemens, Schilling, RJ....these are 3 of the best pitchers in the game today.

And as far as Wilpon goes.....well, every owner has a hand in what their team is doing. Don't believe all that shit when they say that they're not involved and it's all in the GM's hands. The owner always has the last say.

Your alternative to signing Pedro is Beltran? How does that make any sense? The Mets needed an Ace. Beltran is a center fielder. Besides, with Beltran were talking a shitload more money. Pedro signed for 4 years at around 54 million. Beltran is demanding upward of 100 million. I think the Mets are rationalizing that they can sign both Pedro AND Delgado for that kind of money. You suggested that they'd be better off signing Perez, Milton, Hudson, Clement or Burnett....Well, Pedro is better than all of them with the exception of Hudson. But they were never in the hunt for Hudson. Milton? Dude led the league in HR's allowed and had an ERA hovering around 5. Pavano was going to either Boston or the Yanks,and Burnett and Clment just aren't that good (Yanks had an offer on the table from the Marlins for Vasquez for Burnett, which they declined)

Pedro is only 33. Why are so many Met fans bitching about this? Just look at all of these power pitchers who are pitching well into their 30's and even 40's. Clemens, Schilling, RJ....these are 3 of the best pitchers in the game today.

And as far as Wilpon goes.....well, every owner has a hand in what their team is doing. Don't believe all that shit when they say that they're not involved and it's all in the GM's hands. The owner always has the last say.

i agree with everything except one thing...pedro is better than hudson...