Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Mercedes C-55

• 3 weeks later...

How could u even think about going from an m3 to THAT especially i have an m3 too i drove it .. its not that fast dosnt feel like a real sportscar and u can only get it in auto keep ur m till the new one comes out im sure u turn plenyy of heads still u will not turn any heads in a little hatchback that looks like an economy car for the money u can get a s4 a vette anything but that

u will not turn any heads in a little hatchback that looks like an economy car for the money u can get a s4 a vette anything but that

I appreciate your comments. You may be mistaken, a C-55 is a four door C class not the junk hatchback you may be thinking of. Although I am sure it is not as fun to drive as a M3 being an automatic. The C-55 AMG does have more horsepower on paper. I am not sure what car you drove? The C-55 is very hard to find on a dealers lot and and not able to test drive easilly. Ray Catena in Edison, NJ is one of the largest dealers in the country and does not have the car. :tank:

On the other side a new M3 that will most likely be an M4 and will not hit the streets until 2007. I am sure it will be a sick ride and will sell for full list price and have a waiting list of 6 months to a year. I waited 5 months for my M3 and the car had already been out on the streets for over 2 years when I ordered it.

The new Audi S-4 is beautiful and fast. I am a little against Audi due to the overall build quality. Audi and Volkswagen are the worst of all German cars when it comes to repairs. Not saying Audi is bad, just not a up to BMW or Benz. Although I would buy an Audi or VW over a Jap car any day.

The new Audi S-4 is beautiful and fast. I am a little against Audi due to the overall build quality. Audi and Volkswagen are the worst of all German cars when it comes to repairs. Not saying Audi is bad, just not a up to BMW or Benz. Although I would buy an Audi or VW over a Jap car any day.

in the latest quality servey from Consumer Reports, the mercedes E-Class, BMW 5-Series, and BMW 7-series were in the bottom 10.

in the latest quality servey from Consumer Reports, the mercedes E-Class, BMW 5-Series, and BMW 7-series were in the bottom 10.

You mean "Consumer Reports" the magazine? I don't see how anybody can value what they print. The people that conduct their tests are college kids or recent graduates. The same people test toasters on Monday, Paint on Tuesday and then Cars. How can they be experts in every field and test everything? I would rather trust Road & Track, Motor Trend or C&D to get my info.

• 2 weeks later...

As a mercedes owner myself, i say stay clear of them. I have an '01 E430 4matic and you'd think a $65,000 dollar car would be glitchless, but It just has waaay too many problems. And ALL Mercedes are built like this nowadays. They are just horribly unreliable. My steering grinds, cupholder is junk, armrest just broke, clunk in the rear, and tires make the ride ruff. I'm never buying another mercedes ever again. It's gonna either be lexus or Acura for me next. If you are interested in sites that show how bad of an experience most new benz owners are having, i'll be sure glad to show you. BTW, Mercedes benz in Bridgewater has a C55 in the lot right now, i just seen it over the wknd.

As a mercedes owner myself, i say stay clear of them. I have an '01 E430 4matic and you'd think a $65,000 dollar car would be glitchless, but It just has waaay too many problems. And ALL Mercedes are built like this nowadays. They are just horribly unreliable. My steering grinds, cupholder is junk, armrest just broke, clunk in the rear, and tires make the ride ruff. I'm never buying another mercedes ever again. It's gonna either be lexus or Acura for me next. If you are interested in sites that show how bad of an experience most new benz owners are having, i'll be sure glad to show you. BTW, Mercedes benz in Bridgewater has a C55 in the lot right now, i just seen it over the wknd.

I believe that a 2001 E430 can have it's problems. It seems like they only make the cars so good and then make more money later on repairs. My father had a '00 E-430 and replaced it when it only had 30K miles, before the problems began. He now has a '04 E-500 that went back after the navigation would never work. They had to build a new car in Germany just to get the nav working. Hard to believe??? I do believe that since Dalimer Benz bought Chrysler, Chrysler is now better and MB is worse. I would still like to see the C-55 in Bridgewater although I will probably stay away from a Benz.

You mean "Consumer Reports" the magazine? I don't see how anybody can value what they print. The people that conduct their tests are college kids or recent graduates. The same people test toasters on Monday, Paint on Tuesday and then Cars. How can they be experts in every field and test everything? I would rather trust Road & Track, Motor Trend or C&D to get my info.

If I was buying a car,I would look at CR before Motor Trend, R&T, or C&D. Consumer Reports doesn't accept advertising from any automaker. I wouldn't feel that comfortable if Motor Trend tells you that a Benz is the best in it's class when half the magazine is filled with Mercedes ads. It's a conflict of interest. Also CR actually buys the cars they test from the dealer as opposed to the other magazines which borrow the cars from the automaker for a few days. CR tests the cars for a good 6-8 thousand miles so they are able to tell you a lot more about living with the car day to day than the other mags....

The one thing I notice about CR though is that they don't push the cars as hard in performance tests as the other mags. So if you want to see what a car is truely capable of then the other mags are better for that. Overall though, CR is a much more useful tool for buying a car...

If I was buying a car,I would look at CR before Motor Trend, R&T, or C&D. Consumer Reports doesn't accept advertising from any automaker. I wouldn't feel that comfortable if Motor Trend tells you that a Benz is the best in it's class when half the magazine is filled with Mercedes ads. It's a conflict of interest. Also CR actually buys the cars they test from the dealer as opposed to the other magazines which borrow the cars from the automaker for a few days. CR tests the cars for a good 6-8 thousand miles so they are able to tell you a lot more about living with the car day to day than the other mags....

The one thing I notice about CR though is that they don't push the cars as hard in performance tests as the other mags. So if you want to see what a car is truely capable of then the other mags are better for that. Overall though, CR is a much more useful tool for buying a car...

Better question..........what does a guy that tests toasters and hair dryers know about cars? :huh: Ever think that CR does not push the cars like you say because they don't know how to drive and they are pussys. In that case you might as well let your Grandmother drive the car and take her opinion right to the bank.

All said, haha, i went into the dealer to "look" at the new E320 while i was up that way, and jesus, $56,000 for a car with no nav, real leather, awd, or even some sort of hp. One look at the cupholder in that car made me just laugh my ass off, lol. I do think that mercedes is the hottest car out still, looks wise. That C55 in the lot is just sick. And yes, all the car mags usually do always get paid to write something good.

Better question..........what does a guy that tests toasters and hair dryers know about cars? :huh: Ever think that CR does not push the cars like you say because they don't know how to drive and they are pussys. In that case you might as well let your Grandmother drive the car and take her opinion right to the bank.

It's the other way around... You don't have to be a rocket scientist to test a toaster or a hair dryer. Anyone that uses those products everyday can compare them... They have a seperate staff strictly for automobile tests. These aren't the same peoplewho test toasters and ovens...

How Consumer Reports auto information

is different

Consumer Reports has been covering cars since 1936 and now conducts the most comprehensive auto-test program of any U.S. publication or Web site. Here’s how CR’s auto information and tests differ from those of other auto reviewers:

General

Consumer Reports is the only major automotive-testing publication that does not accept advertising. Its independent, unbiased reviews don’t pull punches to please an advertiser.

CR’s exclusive auto-reliability information, based on 675,000 responses to its annual subscriber survey, is the most comprehensive available. The reliability comparisons tell you how the vehicles that are currently on sale are likely to hold up.

CR maintains a continually updated list of recommended models--one in which performance, reliability, and safety are factored in--and an easy-to-reference list of the Ratings of all tested vehicles.

The proprietary CR Safety Assessment tells you which vehicles are safer by combining crash-test results and accident-avoidance Ratings from our tests.

Auto testing

CR anonymously buys all the vehicles it tests from dealerships, just as you would. Last year, it spent $1.9 million on test vehicles. Other auto reviewers borrow test vehicles from the automakers.

Consumer Reports auto tests are conducted by a full-time 19-person staff consisting of experienced auto and tire engineers and their support staff. Many tests and evaluations are performed at a dedicated, specially equipped 327-acre auto-test facility.

Instead of the one or two weeks of driving that is common with other reviewers, each vehicle that CR tests is evaluated for months and typically driven about 6000 miles.

Over 40 individual tests are performed on every vehicle. Many tests, such as real-world fuel-economy runs, an accident-avoidance maneuver, and a specially designed antilock-brake test are not typically performed by other auto publications.