Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hooking up mixer/stereo to computer

conchman

just hook up your mixer to the line-in port on your sound card (it should have this if it's a recent computer) and if your stereo is already hooked up to the comp you're ready to go. the mixer cable is rca to 1/8" plug, and stereo is the same way.

i use soundforge to record my stuff, but im sure there are many other programs that do this as well.

All you need is 1 basic sound card to do what you want to do. The higher quality card you get the better the sound quality and the less feedback(hum) you'll have in your recordings. If you decide to get more heavily into producing etc. you can always buy an "audio interface" which provides you with all the ins and outs you need and connects easily through USB or Firewire. An audio interface is a much more professional way of connecting your system to your PC/MAC and they run about $300-700 for a decent one.

If you think youre serious about it, that would be the way to go, but for now all you need is a sound card and almost all computers come with one already installed.

Use the "line in" (1/8 inch plug) to run the sound into your comp, and the "line out" to run the sound out to the amp/stereo/speakers (also 1/8 inch plug). 99% of all mixers and stereos have RCA inputs, so make sure you get "RCA to 1/8 inch" wires (available at any radio shack)

it should sound just fine with a standard card....i have a baasic soundblaster card and i use the roxio easy media creator 7.....very basic program, i use it to convert vinyl to wav files......let's you eq, de-click, de-hiss and edit track.....very good but very basic and the clarity is perfect.