Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Gates in Central Park

I thought the idea was excellent, especially in the conceptual sketches. The only problem with a thing like this is its not really stunning with it's current incarnation. I saw them up close yesterday and it is pretty cool, but its supposed to have some kind of dramatic effect, something I believe they missed the mark on. The other exhibits in the past from these artists have been pretty impressive, this one, IMO, fell short of the mark.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude's artwork are historically known to be controversial and hold a dramatic effect. They usually combine huge industrial artwork w/political controversy. The Central Park idea was denied by the state of NY 25 years ago. Gov. Pataki & the Claude's are friends, and so I guess "the Gates" lost their "dramatic" effect b/c there was no controversial context behind it all. Oh annnnnnnnnnd "The Gates" is the first truly citywide event since September 11th.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christo and Jeanne-Claude's artwork are historically known to be controversial and hold a dramatic effect. They usually combine huge industrial artwork w/political controversy. The Central Park idea was denied by the state of NY 25 years ago. Gov. Pataki & the Claude's are friends, and so I guess "the Gates" lost their "dramatic" effect b/c there was no controversial context behind it all. Oh annnnnnnnnnd "The Gates" is the first truly citywide event since September 11th.

Small correction, Christo and Jeanne-Claude are friends with Bloomberg (could also be friends with Pitaki but not 100% sure), as he's the one who approved the project without any political controversy (according to 60 minutes last night).

i think the whole idea is boring and stupid and i don't think it's art at all.. and i'm an artist..these people are cashing in with their high priced merchandise that's even uglier than that orange laundry hanging out to dry.

i'm not into contemp art. :(

thats like the worst thing ive ever heard. i don't think its art and im an artist??? wtf is that? any true artist would know that art is in the eye of the beholder and to say something is not art because you have a negative opinion about it is ridiculous.

you're right. beauty and or art lie in the eye of the beholder...i didn't realize that my statement might get taken out of context

what i meant to say was that anyone who is trained in art or art history might not find anything moving in the gates in comparison to greater artists' work. i've read several critiques and spoken to some people (who probably don't make up the vast majority who are falling for another cash in) and from their view: trained creaters of whatever medium... don't "see" it either.

you're right. beauty and or art lie in the eye of the beholder...i didn't realize that my statement might get taken out of context

what i meant to say was that anyone who is trained in art or art history might not find anything moving in the gates in comparison to greater artists' work. i've read several critiques and spoken to some people (who probably don't make up the vast majority who are falling for another cash in) and from their view: trained creaters of whatever medium... don't "see" it either.

i appreciate you response, its clearer to me what you meant.

Dunno if you saw this already:

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html#preparatoryArt

Don't forget you can view this from the rooftop of the MET :)

Btw, does anyone know how the rollerbladin is in the park right now? Are there lots of people walkin all over? Is there still ice/snow on the sidewalks?

I was kidding, I don't think it's possible to live anywhere near here and not know what that is... they don't shut the fuck up about it. The Gates this, the Gates that...

I live a blockk from the park and I am in it every day with my Dobie and I have a Master's degree ini Architecture.

SO with that said:

this type of stuff is always fun and colorful but frankly it looks like a freshman architecture project and I liked it better without the banners because there was this tension between the arches which implied an invisible tunnel one is walking thru with clear views all around.

The scale of the thing is awkward because the banners come too low and at like 10 feet head clearance it is a little oppressive. From a distance, nice, but lacks human scale sensitivity with the height of the banners over one's head.

also $21 million for this is completely fucking retarded. :bounce:

anyway, very French, the whole thing. :vomit2:

went yesterday, it's alright up close, not that big of a deal at all.

I think it's better appreciated from a distance, when I looked over the park and from higher ground, I dug the snake like shape it took on through the park. Must be incredible to view overhead in a helicopter.

The artists say the prime time to view it are sunrise, sunset and there's a full moon on the 24th.

The history behind this project is kinda funny and cool.