Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is House Music Dead in Jersey?

No disrespect to you Victor, but I already said in my opening statement that Deko was the only venue in Jersey to try to do something different and be sucessfull. I wasn't thinking about Deko when I started this thread. I appreciate what you guys do for the dieing scene in this state. But I didn't want this to turn into a promotion thread, there are enough of them on here. I am a hard core supporter of Deko and anybody that has read any of my threads know that. Please don't take this the wrong way but, lets keep this thread on track of what the subject is.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing ALL of you need to be REALLY, REALLY realisitic about is ...thAT MASSIVE interest in dance music come along with another massive interest.....DRUG USE!!!!!

IF YOU ARE GONNA DENY THAT , YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.take away drugs, and you take MOSTLEY (and i am being generous saying mostley) all INTEREST in hard music , and also interest in the "keepin it real " music.

Thats what everyone seems to be forgetting when they talk about what going on in the seen.

Keep in mind, what was glorified with Soundfactory (which we all loved) was the underground taken mainstream > (meaning, what once was a basement or garage party with 300 people getting cracked out and "partying " till 12 noon the next day, turned into ....5,000 people staying at factory till 12 noon the next day.) dANCE MUSIC HAS always been in the underground (hard stuff anyway) we just happened to see see the "underground" go main stream for a while.

and it was FUN!!!!!!!! :)

Its going back where it started. Watch.

Whats the only real on going afterhours party in the city right now....Discoteque, right. And look at the crowd....

The party seen is going back to what it should be.....CHICKS,CHICKS,CHICKS, AND MORE CHICKS. People Hooking up, listing to fun music, with lots of energy, and just a siiick time with people you want to be around.And of course dance music....MUSIC THAT MAKES YOU DANCE... THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.Take drugs out of the equation, then lets see what dj REALLY knows how to move a crowd., you would be surprised.....my 2cents.

When I was thinking of becoming a DJ it was much different. Music was first introduced in the clubs by DJ's like Knuckles, Humphries, Morales, etc. It flowed from the clubs to radio play. Clubgoers did not demand instant satisfaction. They went on the ride, the journey, that the DJ created through an entire evening of programming. I would only go to clubs where the majority of the DJ's materail was stuff I could not hear on the radio, but only at that club. That's how DJ's traditionally built their following.

Over the last 5-8 years the majority of people going to clubs now have gotten their idea of what clubbing and music should be like from MTV/VH1/Commercial Radio. So the focus has changed.

Now commercial media dictates what will or will not be a hit. Videos glamorize the bling of the hip-hop lifestyle despite the fact that most hip-hop is low bpm/low energy. The songs have catchy hooks and refrains. You see it all the time, some idiot in there car singing along to the latest pop tune. then when they go to the club they expect to hear the same mainstream, lowest common demoninator, pop crap they listen to every day. They don't want to be challenged musically, they don't want to educated. They just want what they want, right now when they want it.

If the commercial media pushed dance videos, as they do in Europe, maybe there would more of audience for uptempo dance music. If uptempo dance music were glamorized the way hip-hop has been I am sure you would have a much different following.

It is amazing to me to work somewhere and have some ignorant 20-something girl come up and say "Can you play something other than all this techno ?" when the music being played is KTU style vocal dance music. If I ever played some real techno she would probably croak and die right there on the dance floor. I am continually stunned by the level of ignorance exhibited by a high percentage of Jersey's current crop of clubheads.

House/Trance/Techno and other forms of EDM, unfortunately I feel, will continue to appeal only to those who are seeking an alternative to the mainstream crap that is fed to the sheeplike masses. It is music that people will actively have to seek out to connect with. As the average clubber in Jersey has a fairly wide lazy streak, most won't make the effort.

No effort, no reward.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This has to be one of the most inteligent responses I have heard on this board in a while.

Madness

I can agree that House music slowly died out over the years in Jersey, but also grew at the same time. Having great talent such as Morillo, Sanchez, Morales, Boris, Harry Choo Choo, etc etc over the past 2 years made people realize. These are not local dj's, these are almost ranked #1 house dj's all over the world and to have them step foot into Jersey says more then a lot.

Every type of music has its prime. Hip hop, 80's, & Rock is not only being played in Jersey, but in New York, Miami, Vegas, etc etc. Its almost every where in all the lounges around. I kind of dont call it mainstream cause its a diverse of all types of music that draws a very sexy crowd & that right there is what a club owner wants & where a nice crowd wants to go now a days.

Personally I love trance more then any other type of music out there. I love house and other types of music but my main listening tune is trance. Cant have it here in Jersey cause certain people wont be able to cope with it. But im not hating.

But again you can never compare Jersey to New York. A lot of great talent dj's from Jersey are now one of the most talked about dj's world wide.

I can say this I do miss back in the day when the energy was at its prime in Jersey.

Nothing is never perminent its only temporally

DEEPSPELL: I understand your comment. I didnt have time to even respond at the time.

Victor Soto

I can agree that House music slowly died out over the years in Jersey, but also grew at the same time. Having great talent such as Morillo, Sanchez, Morales, Boris, Harry Choo Choo, etc etc over the past 2 years made people realize. These are not local dj's, these are almost ranked #1 house dj's all over the world and to have them step foot into Jersey says more then a lot.

Every type of music has its prime. Hip hop, 80's, & Rock is not only being played in Jersey, but in New York, Miami, Vegas, etc etc. Its almost every where in all the lounges around. I kind of dont call it mainstream cause its a diverse of all types of music that draws a very sexy crowd & that right there is what a club owner wants & where a nice crowd wants to go now a days.

Personally I love trance more then any other type of music out there. I love house and other types of music but my main listening tune is trance. Cant have it here in Jersey cause certain people wont be able to cope with it. But im not hating.

But again you can never compare Jersey to New York. A lot of great talent dj's from Jersey are now one of the most talked about dj's world wide.

I can say this I do miss back in the day when the energy was at its prime in Jersey.

Nothing is never perminent its only temporally

DEEPSPELL: I understand your comment. I didnt have time to even respond at the time.

Victor Soto

very valid points made there vic....like i said previously......a club is a business....and hip hop / pop is what draws the crowds now :unhappy:

I was agreeing with you and makeing a crack how our residencies at comercial clubs like spirit and avalon are terrible

ah ok i misunderstood....my apoligies...

like i said before....its all about who u know as well.....if u know the right people....u can be a resident anywhere

ah ok i misunderstood....my apoligies

CROBAR NYC

530 W. 28th Street

(b/w 10th & 11th)

crobar.com

UPCOMING FRIDAY EVENTS:

02/25...MURK feat. Oscar G & Ralph Falcon

03/04...SASHA

03/11...HERNAN CATTANEO

03/18...SANDER KLEINENBERG

03/25...TBA

04/01...SASHA & DIGWEED

04/15...PAUL VAN DYK

one thing ALL of you need to be REALLY, REALLY realisitic about is ...thAT MASSIVE interest in dance music come along with another massive interest.....DRUG USE!!!!!

IF YOU ARE GONNA DENY THAT , YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF.take away drugs, and you take MOSTLEY (and i am being generous saying mostley) all INTEREST in hard music , and also interest in the "keepin it real " music.

Thats what everyone seems to be forgetting when they talk about what going on in the seen.

Keep in mind, what was glorified with Soundfactory (which we all loved) was the underground taken mainstream > (meaning, what once was a basement or garage party with 300 people getting cracked out and "partying " till 12 noon the next day, turned into ....5,000 people staying at factory till 12 noon the next day.) dANCE MUSIC HAS always been in the underground (hard stuff anyway) we just happened to see see the "underground" go main stream for a while.

and it was FUN!!!!!!!! :)

Its going back where it started. Watch.

Whats the only real on going afterhours party in the city right now....Discoteque, right. And look at the crowd....

The party seen is going back to what it should be.....CHICKS,CHICKS,CHICKS, AND MORE CHICKS. People Hooking up, listing to fun music, with lots of energy, and just a siiick time with people you want to be around.And of course dance music....MUSIC THAT MAKES YOU DANCE... THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.Take drugs out of the equation, then lets see what dj REALLY knows how to move a crowd., you would be surprised.....my 2cents.

That might be very well true, but I know plenty of DJ's that can control a non drug induced hase crowd. I personally have spun at venues that are not clubs and controled a crowd on obvious non drug users and had them shouting for one more track at the end of the night. I am not in any way dissing SF, but that is what SF was all about. It wasn't about the music for most people, it was about the drugs. I was not a big fan of SF for that reason. I have done my share of drugs back in the day and I realized that I had more fun when I knew exactly what was going on around me. I am not saying that I am holier then thou because I cleaned up, but if you are a real EDM lover you don't need to be fucked up to have a good time. Jersey clubs were not really drug influenced like a lot of spots in the city. They were more about having a good time and hearing good music. That has gone away now and it has nothing to do with the drugs.IMO

Madness

CROBAR NYC

530 W. 28th Street

(b/w 10th & 11th)

crobar.com

UPCOMING FRIDAY EVENTS:

02/25...MURK feat. Oscar G & Ralph Falcon

03/04...SASHA

03/11...HERNAN CATTANEO

03/18...SANDER KLEINENBERG

03/25...TBA

04/01...SASHA & DIGWEED

04/15...PAUL VAN DYK

studio cant pay the salaries for some of those......

sasha and digweed alone probly pull in upwards of 15k....

House music is still alive...it just needs u to support it. Hip hop is just a fad right now...it'll pass like everything else. I have been in the club industry for a while now and this phase will pass sooner or later. More clubs just need to believe in it. What are the only venues that play house all night...Joey's Friday, DEKO, where else? just go to nyc (CROBAR) or those few in NJ.

Andrew Mendez

Voodoo Lounge has open turntables on tuesdays that my very good friend has been running for a few months...its growing slowly thank goodness to Voodoo giving him the shot to build on it....hopefully it goes well.

all types of genre's played, ive heard everything from deep soulful house to breaks, hard techno and trance

I agree but everything goes in cycles and house is definately at a low right now but its on a slow upswing and hopefully it continues to build again. We are staring to see people have a big response to some of the harder tracks and getting tired of hearing a club play whatyou can hear on the radio 50 times a day

Voodoo Lounge has open turntables on tuesdays that my very good friend has been running for a few months...its growing slowly thank goodness to Voodoo giving him the shot to build on it....hopefully it goes well.

all types of genre's played, ive heard everything from deep soulful house to breaks, hard techno and trance

i been meaning to check that out. But i play on tuesdays. I play there on saturdays and i dont play commercially at all. I heard alot of good things about that night. keep up the good shit. House music will be back. Its a 2 or 3 year cycle we should be coming to an end soon.

i been meaning to check that out. But i play on tuesdays. I play there on saturdays and i dont play commercially at all. I heard alot of good things about that night. keep up the good shit. House music will be back. Its a 2 or 3 year cycle we should be coming to an end soon.

yo you should def. stop by and check it out....lots of DJs just come and chill, sign up to spin on other days...drink, its pretty fun. i havent been there for a bit because i been busy trying to set stuff up in NYC but i hear James is doing very well and its building. Much props to voodoo for doing this....this is what nj needs. hope to see ya there :D

yo you should def. stop by and check it out....lots of DJs just come and chill, sign up to spin on other days...drink, its pretty fun. i havent been there for a bit because i been busy trying to set stuff up in NYC but i hear James is doing very well and its building. Much props to voodoo for doing this....this is what nj needs. hope to see ya there :D

I am still waiting for my date to play the open turntable session. I can't wait, it should be a great time. I have been so busy with work and traveling for work lately, that I need to get away and play some slammin beats for an appreciative crowd big or small.

Madness

deepspell and madness, i don't actually think house is dead, because it lives in all of us true househeads, however, the house voice has been muffled by greed. not fads like most people say. its all about the club owners trying to fill in the clubs and make the money. not make the people happy.. there are few places that the house vibe is truly alive, i just hope greed will not destroy those places as well. people need to open their minds and their souls to the music and in turn they will see the true natural power that energizes the center of a true music lover. people don't allow the spirit of house whether be hard progressive or purely soulful, to enter their mind and stimulate it and i am not talking about drug induced either.. Its truly a damn shame. keep the house spinning and it will always burn and never die. House will never be a fad, because it has a true soul and original voice.

Not for nothing, but Friday Nights we are trying to keep House music alive. Dj's like Romero, Boris and Saeed are all booken in the next 3-4 weeks. Support house and it will stay alive. Flight Friday Night's "Feel Grove"

House Music!!!

2/18- DJ Sheldon Romero

2/25 DJ Boris

3/11 DJ Saeed of Saeed & Palash

I am still waiting for my date to play the open turntable session. I can't wait, it should be a great time. I have been so busy with work and traveling for work lately, that I need to get away and play some slammin beats for an appreciative crowd big or small.

Madness

werd bro, party is starting to get good....i'll call james this weekend and set it up for us. been too busy with work as well to go play :unhappy:

deepspell and madness, i don't actually think house is dead, because it lives in all of us true househeads, however, the house voice has been muffled by greed. not fads like most people say. its all about the club owners trying to fill in the clubs and make the money. not make the people happy.. there are few places that the house vibe is truly alive, i just hope greed will not destroy those places as well. people need to open their minds and their souls to the music and in turn they will see the true natural power that energizes the center of a true music lover. people don't allow the spirit of house whether be hard progressive or purely soulful, to enter their mind and stimulate it and i am not talking about drug induced either.. Its truly a damn shame. keep the house spinning and it will always burn and never die. House will never be a fad, because it has a true soul and original voice.

I am glad there are more people out there that feel the same thing about the music as I do. The more I read responses to this thread makes me realize that there are people out there besides myself and a select few people that I know that appreciate real music, and are not just the followers of what is feed to us by MTV/VH1 and radio. There are open minded people left in this state, Thank God!!!