Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is House Music Dead in Jersey?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand many of love house/the underground ect ect.......you can bash the nj club owners/nj dj's myself whatever/whoever......i have been playing in clubs since 1984(key largo/belmar)....have been the resident saturday night dj at bunka 12 years, main dj at djais for 14 years......i love all styles of music and i am not biased to any particular genre.....many of u are younger/not all but music typically has a cycle within 2 to 5 years depending on the style and the time.....let's look quicly at the the history of the jersey club scene-----now when i started disco and rock were big: then freestyle and early house came in the late 80's/techno was hugh '90 to '92/there was a few years where there was no dance station in nyc-at that point in time nirvana and the grunge scene was gigantic....more than half the night at djais/bunka was alternative rock/then the "new ktu" the closest thing to a real dance station started.....while the rock thing was going the house scene crept up behind the rock and took over/the club scene was great from '94/'95 to 2001/2002.....from '98 to 2001 was a very drug driven experimental era for people.....drugs and music went hand in hand.....we also had tons of people producing quality big room vocals/all the classic fist pump tracks(hex/thunderpuss/plasmic honey/sal dano/macaluso/vasquez/jp/vicious/club 69).....look how well and packed the clubs were at the time.....tempts/xs masquerade/bermuda/abyss/bunka/chicago soundgarden/surf club/new york/soundfactory and the list goes on......all the clubs at this time were at capacity most of the time......no hip hop anywhere....lots and lots of water being sold(no need to say more).....no as time goes by people a little older, outgrow the x and g, get tired of clubbin, get intoo relationships, whatever.........the internet works its way in, music getting leaked all over the place, producers not getting paid, labels that once drove the jersey ny scene(ex:strictly rhythem/groovalicious/nervous...ect ect)....are all out of business now! i used to get anywhere from 20 to 50 records per week sent to my house from the labels.....now i get 2 to 4 records from tommyboy.....the writing is on the wall, no?.....now that people have slowed down on the x and g or whatever(coke does not play the same role in the music experience)....now that people have outgrown the experimental drug phase of their lives, people have changed and due to certain circumstances music has changed.....i am a firm believer in catering to the girls, make the girls happy the guys will follow, that's a fact!.....the vast majority of people do not want to educated musically, they wanna sing and party....ufortunatley, the true house head is the minority by far.....any of u, feel free to stand in the booth and just listen to what people ask for, the majority is rap/reggaton/freestyle/disco/rock/98 to 2001 dance vocals.....they ask for all party shit to drink and sing to and to relive some fun point in ther lives.....at joey's or abyss, i cannot play extended house sets because the floor slowly clears(and jerkoffs it's not because i'm playing the wrong house stuff)......george of studio 4 and laraver are both on the money.....gotta run, i got more to say later....house wil come back, just not yet

"George of studio 4 and laraver are both on the money"

Kirk - Thanks for recognizing what I said. As you know I have struggled to get a foot in the door for many years. I am currently resident at a small club in South River and you are right on about what clubbers are asking for (rap/reggae/reggaeton/pop/r&b/a little bit of KTU vocals). The current clubbers think anything starting at 120 bpm's is "techno"

CPer's check this out, this will make you laugh, I had some girl ( she had to be just 21) ask me last night to play some vocal techno. When asked what she meant by that, she said "like "Sweet Caroline" by Angelo Venuto." Like I said before if she got a dose of real techno she would probably turn to salt and die. I hate ignorant people like that, but unfortunately they are the majority right now.

For now I will give them what they want and hope that the favored style of music will come back around to a more uptempo (125-140bpm) groove.

LA RAVER

dont be silly

its not the style of music that is dead - thats like saying house music is no good anymore or theres no good house music being produced by the ones we follow up on.

I would say however that all these club owners need to put to rest this lame idea of having dinner served in the day and then club at night

come on - either you have a nightclub or you have a resturant but i dont agree with having both when your calling it a nightclub

The exception to this for example would be places like

Studio 4 which doenst advertise themselves as solely as nightclub

they tell you its a lounge which serves food

good work by the way to them

but i wouldnt say its dead

I have been involved in a # of and gone to party at a # of REALLY great house music only parties, but after a REALLY good run of things in that format the club owner says " I WANT TO MAKE MORE MORE MORE" then switches it to hip hop - urban only music and within the 1st month there are fights nightly - women being groped and GOD knows what else.

On one hand you have people saying dance music sits in the catagory of Electronic music which in turn breeds the use of drugs (x-tasty) and such

but on the other hand you have ppl saying hip hop crowds DONT use drugs as much but fight THAT much more

What a joke.............i have seen more drugs used - bought - stolen - and fought over at a hip hop club then any where else

Not for nothing, but Friday Nights we are trying to keep House music alive. Dj's like Romero, Boris and Saeed are all booken in the next 3-4 weeks. Support house and it will stay alive. Flight Friday Night's "Feel Grove"

House Music!!!

2/18- DJ Sheldon Romero

2/25 DJ Boris

3/11 DJ Saeed of Saeed & Palash

did you catch Palash's Solo set yet?

thing is great - its a full album release solo production from him w/o Palash

i wouldnt say dead......more like on permanent vacation in NYC....venues are afraid of trying something different. but what can you do....a club is a business like any other, rap and to 40s brings in numbers....and thats what its all about these days...it seems like the only venues that are willing to take a venture these days and give the underground a shot are all in NYC....i have no problem going into a venue in NYC and getting a monthly or a one off party thats all about EDM....but if you walk into somewhere in jersey, they either blow you off or ask you to play hip hop. my roots are with hip hop and i still love it but that doesnt mean i enjoy to spin it. Its also all about who u know in jersey .....talent doesnt mean jack shit to promoters & venues anymore....but if u happened to go to school with them or you have chilled with them in the past...your in no problem....i'll tell u one thing madness, i havent been to a jersey club in over 4 yrs....and i plan on keeping it that way until something changes....only Deko and Voodoo lounge (for helping my friend james set up open turntables night) get my respect right now in NJ...

thank GOD for the lesser known underground parties in jersey @ warehouses and such that NO ONE knows about...

All very well-said.

And KIRK--- On POINT! Nice history lesson! :)

My $.02

I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but if house music is not able to bring in lots of people to the clubs, then how come if Erick Morrillo (or Boris, or JP, or DT, or Roger Sanchez) is spinning in a club in NYC, why is the place PACKED with thousands of people, many of which are from Jersey?

I don't buy that people in NJ aren't into house/techno. It's just the people who are into this music would rather cross a bridge to listen to it.

In all honesty and respect, I think it's a cop out to say that "girls don't like it, so we're not going to play it". Bring in a good DJ from time to time, then see if nobody shows up.

i understand many of love house/the underground ect ect.......you can bash the nj club owners/nj dj's myself whatever/whoever......i have been playing in clubs since 1984(key largo/belmar)....have been the resident saturday night dj at bunka 12 years, main dj at djais for 14 years......i love all styles of music and i am not biased to any particular genre.....many of u are younger/not all but music typically has a cycle within 2 to 5 years depending on the style and the time.....let's look quicly at the the history of the jersey club scene-----now when i started disco and rock were big: then freestyle and early house came in the late 80's/techno was hugh '90 to '92/there was a few years where there was no dance station in nyc-at that point in time nirvana and the grunge scene was gigantic....more than half the night at djais/bunka was alternative rock/then the "new ktu" the closest thing to a real dance station started.....while the rock thing was going the house scene crept up behind the rock and took over/the club scene was great from '94/'95 to 2001/2002.....from '98 to 2001 was a very drug driven experimental era for people.....drugs and music went hand in hand.....we also had tons of people producing quality big room vocals/all the classic fist pump tracks(hex/thunderpuss/plasmic honey/sal dano/macaluso/vasquez/jp/vicious/club 69).....look how well and packed the clubs were at the time.....tempts/xs masquerade/bermuda/abyss/bunka/chicago soundgarden/surf club/new york/soundfactory and the list goes on......all the clubs at this time were at capacity most of the time......no hip hop anywhere....lots and lots of water being sold(no need to say more).....no as time goes by people a little older, outgrow the x and g, get tired of clubbin, get intoo relationships, whatever.........the internet works its way in, music getting leaked all over the place, producers not getting paid, labels that once drove the jersey ny scene(ex:strictly rhythem/groovalicious/nervous...ect ect)....are all out of business now! i used to get anywhere from 20 to 50 records per week sent to my house from the labels.....now i get 2 to 4 records from tommyboy.....the writing is on the wall, no?.....now that people have slowed down on the x and g or whatever(coke does not play the same role in the music experience)....now that people have outgrown the experimental drug phase of their lives, people have changed and due to certain circumstances music has changed.....i am a firm believer in catering to the girls, make the girls happy the guys will follow, that's a fact!.....the vast majority of people do not want to educated musically, they wanna sing and party....ufortunatley, the true house head is the minority by far.....any of u, feel free to stand in the booth and just listen to what people ask for, the majority is rap/reggaton/freestyle/disco/rock/98 to 2001 dance vocals.....they ask for all party shit to drink and sing to and to relive some fun point in ther lives.....at joey's or abyss, i cannot play extended house sets because the floor slowly clears(and jerkoffs it's not because i'm playing the wrong house stuff)......george of studio 4 and laraver are both on the money.....gotta run, i got more to say later....house wil come back, just not yet

I have been in the scene just as long as you have if not longer. Although I agree with a lot of what you are saying, I must say this, and please don't take offence to it. I am primeraly refering to the real house music and not to the commercial. What some might consider "Underground" all the clubs that you named for the exception of the NYC clubs didn't support the real house heads, they were always considered commercial clubs in my book. Any place that had to rely on the "KTU" crowd was not a real house club to me. If you have noticed almost all of those places have either gone away or now conformed to the hip hop top 40 playlists. I am in no way dissing any DJ that makes their living playing that style of music, but you have to understand in my book that is not House music. There were plenty of clubs that catered to real house music. Zanzibar, Red Zone (NJ), Cosmos, The Down Under, Roxy, Melody, just to name a few. And those clubs were always packed every week with House Heads and plenty of girls. Yes we have all grown up, but real house heads never loose their passion for the music and the clubs. Drugs have nothing to do with it, yes we all have done our share of experementing, but it was the music that drives us, not the drugs. Anybody that says otherwise is not a real House Head, they were just there for the drugs not the music.

Your history lesson was and is very accurate and you indeed know your shit. I agree with a lot of what you said and just voiced my opinion on what I didn't agree on.

Madness

Definition of a true music fan is one who truley appreciates MUSIC...most true music fans have their roots in old school rap, classic rock, alternative, and, yes I'm going to say it, HEAVY METAL. Every genre or style of music has its fans and it's WANNABES - people who are in the S-C-E-N-E in order to:

1) be accepted by a new group of friends

2) experiment with drugs

3) to get 'CHICKS' or meet 'GUYS'

To say or think that people are only into the house music scene for drug use is not only ignorant but norrowminded. Does anyone know or have friends who listen to Phish or the Allman Brothers??? Those people use more XTC than any other fan base I know. Yes, we all have had our fair share, whether it be alcohol, steroids, or illicit substances, but I'm sure all of you can name people, if not yourselves, who are into the house music scene, who do not touch drugs OR did at one point and now have stopped. Drug use has nuthin to do with APPRECIATING good house music. Those who claim that they can't have a good time in a club unless they are high, are there for the drugs, not the music or anything else for that matter.

Also, to say that the club scene is all about 'chicks' (???) If you ever go to see a cover band, which I KNOW ALL OF YOU ARE ALL GUILTY OF, there is NUTHIN but girls!!!! The truth is that the younger generation is booming, meaning there is an higher rate of 21 year-olds in population; anyone who is a teacher can vouge for that. What I find completley stupid is to say that girls dont like house music (????) I may be the only female that posts on this board but if you go to any of the other messageboards....a REAL music fan's messageboard...you will find that they are loaded with females....and yes most of them are very attractive AND they know their sh*t.

Back to the question at hand...Is House Music Dead in NJ? As far as the bar industry is concerned, YES....bar owners will do whatever it takes to bring in this influx of young people to drink ALCOHOL and its NOT JUST HIP HOP. They play to what moves the crowd...the BAR crowd...meaning classic rock hits, hip hop, and club hits. This type of MIX has been being played for YEARS at MIXERS is colleges all over the state...to make the sorority girls happy and in turn make the guys happy...this is nuthin new people and, although it maybe popular now, another style of music will soon be on the rise and take over...it's inevitable and EVERYTHING is cyclical...types of drug, types of music. everything.

Are there true house heads in NJ? Yes, go to Crobar, Spirit, Discotheque, you will find that half the people in there are from NJ. IS TRUE HOUSE MUSIC BEING PLAYED IN NJ?? Yes, and it is offered as a 'treat' by such establishments as Deko and others are following as well.

Seek and ye shall find... if you aren't satisfied with what NJ has to offer, and you want to get down and dirty and can give a sh*t about 'hooking up' THEN GO ACROSS THE RIVER, IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Yes, the days of big rooms in NJ are done, but Crobar and Spirit are packed every weekend...and I'm NOT EVEN TALKING about the residents...dance music is alive and kickin...yes, we are a dying breed but if you love to music and love to dance (like I do) ...then there is nuthin to complain about.

KIRK - much LUV and respect, have been listening to you for years at Bunka, Surf, and Joeys. I didnt mean to dis in anyway, just voicing my opinion. BTW, great history lesson.

Definition of a true music fan is one who truley appreciates the MUSIC...most true music fans have their roots in old school rap, classic rock, alternative, and, yes I'm going to say it, HEAVY METAL. Every genre or style of music has its fans and it's WANNABES - people who are in the S-C-E-N-E in order to:

1) be accepted by a new group of friends

2) experiment with drugs

3) to get 'CHICKS' or meet 'GUYS'

To say or think people are only into the house music scene for drug use is not only ignorant but norrowminded. Does anyone know or have friends who listen to Phish or the Allman Brothers??? Those people use more XTC than any fan base I know. Yes, we all have had our fair share, whether it be alcohol, steroids, or illicit substances, but I'm sure all of you can name people, if not yourselves, who are into the house music scene, who do not touch drugs OR did at one point and now have stopped. Drug use has nuthin to do with APPRECIATING good house music. Those who claim that they can't have a good time in a club unless they are high, then they are there for the drugs, not the music or anything else for that matter.

Also, to say that the club scene is all about 'chicks'??? If you ever go to see a cover band, which I KNOW ALL OF YOU ARE ALL GUILTY OF there is NUTHIN but girls!!!! The truth is that the younger generation is booming, meaning there is an higher rate of 21 year-old in population. Anyone who is a teacher, can vouge for that. What I find completley stupid is to say that girls dont like house music (????) I may be the only female that posts on this board but if you go to any of the other messageboards....a REAL music fan's messageboard...you will find that they are loaded with females....and yes some of them are very attractive AND know their sh*t.

Back to the question at hand...Is House Music Dead in NJ? As far as the bar industry is concerned, YES....bar owners will do whatever it takes to bring in this influx of young people to drink ALCOHOL and its NOT JUST HIP HOP. They play to what moves the crowd...the BAR crowd...meaning classic rock hits, hip hop, and club hits. This type of MIX has been begin played for YEARS at MIXERS is colleges all over the state...to make the sorority girls happy and in turn make the guys happy...this is nuthin new people and, although it maybe popular now, another style of music will soon be on the rise and take over...it's inevitable and EVERYTHING is cyclical...types of drug, types of music. everything.

Are there true house heads in NJ? Yes, go to Crobar, Spirit, Discotheque, you will find that half the people in there are from NJ. IS TRUE HOUSE MUSIC BEING PLAYED IN NJ?? Yes, and it is offered as a 'treat' by such establishments as Deko and others are following as well.

Seek and ye shall find...and if you aren't satisfied with what NJ has to offer, you want to get down and dirty and can give a sh*t about 'hooking up' THEN GO ACROSS THE RIVER, IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Yes, the days of big rooms in NJ are done, but Crobar and Spirit are packed every weekend...and I'm NOT EVEN TALKING about the resisdents...dance music is alive and kickin...yes, we are a dying breed but you love to music and love to dance (like I do)...there is nuthin to complain about.

KIRK - much LUV and respect, have been listening to you for years at Bunka, Surf, and Joeys. I didnt mean to dis in anyway, just voicing my opinion. BTW, great history lesson.

Well Said!!!!!!!!!

This type of MIX has been begin played for YEARS at MIXERS is colleges all over the state...this is nuthin new people and, although it maybe popular now, another style of music will soon be on the rise and take over...it's inevitable and EVERYTHING is cyclical...QUOTE]

Cynstam--

Absolutely true, as were a lot of your points.

This might be one of the most down-to-earth discussions I've ever seen on this board! :love:

I agree. I am glad to get views from other people on this matter. That's why I started this thread. I thought I was one of the only ones that felt this way, but I am a DJ and it is different for us, than with people that are just going out to the clubs. House DJ's are facing a real up hill battle in this state and I thought we were the only ones dealing with it, but because of this board I am finding out that you guys (and Girls) the clubbers truely do want to hear the music. With that said, we just might be able to save this scene.

What do you think House is?

by definition a Nigger is someone whos ignorant, stubborn, and does stupid things without full thought process of the material or subject.

Often a Nigger is someone who calls someone else a Nigger

( funny how the term - pot calling the kettle black comes to mind when you know about the word )

What do you call Nigger music anyway cause i cant find that in the stores