Clubplanet Nightlife Community

deejays on the board

do you all use vinyl, cd's or both?

personally i use both, to me it dosent really matter what its on, just as long as the tunes good.

but i'm starting to veer more to cd now, cos its lighter to carry and with cdj's theres more control. i'm even putting some of my vinyl onto cd for handiness.....

i do both.....i like getting the more obscure tracks on vinyl since u cant really find them all the time on beatport and other such websites for download...the only other thing i like about the cdj's is the looping ability....other than that its all the same to me homie :)

u can always loops the "fun" way, get 2 of the same record and loop away (keeps you busy) or get a sampler and go to work.

i used to have an old set of tascam cd decks that if you set up the loop and then played the track from the start, it played as normal into the loop, then just kept looping. i wish the cdj's did that!

know what you mean about finding the more obscure things on vinyl. there really is no substitute for hunting round record shops.

Vinyl.

but I do see the tremendous advantages to CDs especially as I get more interested in production. Looping on vinyl is a lot of work and quite frankly you can't do the same types of loops w/ vinyl, but aside from that I feel much more control w/ vinyl. There's nothing that pisses me off more than when I see a DJ tap-tempoing their CDJ's at a club to match beats...

Given that, the new technics CD player is actually a direct drive platter that feels *almost* like vinyl but of course it's different. Personally I think that CD's are not going to stick around very long and we're all going to be carrying around datports w/ our own unreleased music to play...

There's nothing that pisses me off more than when I see a DJ tap-tempoing their CDJ's at a club to match beats..

yeah but they are not going to get the beats exact like that, theres always gonna be some fine tuning involved, unless its cd decks with tempo sync or somthing.

i read in djmag there that more djs are now using cds than vinyl. a scary prospect for all record shops, labels, producers and distributors. in the uk there have already been loads of casualties of this. imo though they only have themselves to blame. stuff is still pretty hard to get in shops on cd, so most people have no choice but to download their music.

There's nothing that pisses me off more than when I see a DJ tap-tempoing their CDJ's at a club to match beats...

Get over it lol. Like someone said, that feature is not perfect. It often will miscalculate the BPMs of a track, so there's always mixing or fine tuning involved. Anyway, beatmatching is one of the least common denominators as far as DJ'ing goes. Beatmatching is not that difficult. Programming/track selection/flow are much more important than beatmatching. You can have a great mixer with a crappy selection or you can have someone with great programming and a sub-par mixer. I'll take the latter any day.

And I have to disagree. I don't see CDs going anywhere for a long time. They (CDJs) are the Gold Star standard at clubs now along with the Technics 1200s. Lots of DJs are burning their entire collections to CD now. I really don't think the Technics CD players will take over the Pioneers. There are a number of issues with those tables that need to be resolved and more importantly, Pioneers are currently the DJ's (and nightclubs') #1 choice.

By the way, I use two Technics 1200s, 2 CDJ 1000s and I've dabbled with Ableton Live (where get this bassboy, you don't have to mix at all :eek: ). I'm open to all these technologies, and any DJ who wants to stay on his game should keep an open mind about them too.

Get over it lol. Like someone said, that feature is not perfect. It often will miscalculate the BPMs of a track, so there's always mixing or fine tuning involved. Anyway, beatmatching is one of the least common denominators as far as DJ'ing goes. Beatmatching is not that difficult. Programming/track selection/flow are much more important than beatmatching. You can have a great mixer with a crappy selection or you can have someone with great programming and a sub-par mixer. I'll take the latter any day.

And I have to disagree. I don't see CDs going anywhere for a long time. They (CDJs) are the Gold Star standard at clubs now along with the Technics 1200s. Lots of DJs are burning their entire collections to CD now. I really don't think the Technics CD players will take over the Pioneers. There are a number of issues with those tables that need to be resolved and more importantly, Pioneers are currently the DJ's (and nightclubs') #1 choice.

By the way, I use two Technics 1200s, 2 CDJ 1000s and I've dabbled with Ableton Live (where get this bassboy, you don't have to mix at all :eek: ). I'm open to all these technologies, and any DJ who wants to stay on his game should keep an open mind about them too.

100% agree with you......

i have all my productions on CD and i get Promo CD-R's on occasion...cant play those on a TT...

also, i have lots of older classic tracks that i CANT find on 12" (since they are out of print) but you can find them on soulseek and such....def. an advantage. CD will never feel the same as vinly tho...

ableton is an amazing tool....but i like it more to do Live PA and doing your own edits and such right on the spot....not so much for the WHOLE djing aspect....kinda takes the soul and fun out of working a song (wether it be on cd or vinyl) into the mix

Ive been a crazy vinyl purist for many many years, but Im opening up to the other options, I think as djs we have to at least know how to use the technology out there or risk being left in the dust.. At this point I only use vinyl when play out but Ive been enjoying experimenting with some of the new stuff... I really enjoy using Traktor and Final Scratch, and the new Traktor can sync right into an Ipod which is cool , the pioneer and Technic Digital tables are fun to use and as mentioned Abelton Live can be crazy too when used with the M-Audio X Session.. I tryed it out last night and had a blast. That little mixer lets you go nuts! Its like controlling Abelton live with a dj mixer. lots of fun. I also like the fact that the Technics digital table reads memroy cards and plays mp3 files... Thats a huge step.. Now you can carry all your tracks in your wallet on memory cards that are smaller than match books.

x_session.jpg:beer:

i have nothing against cd decks, i think that's def the future and that's where technology is going. just like you can't ignore it in any other field you can't ignore it here. what i do have a problem with is people downloading free music and using their cds to spin that. first off you're not paying for the tunes you're spinning, second of all you're using a reduced quality format (mp3).

but if you're getting promos or ripping your vinyl to cds right on. def beats lugging around a crate full of vinyl. some of the tricks you can do on cds like mentioned previously you just can't do on a turntable. im gonna probably pick up a set of cd decks sometime this fall and see what all the fuss is about.

i think Djing is going to take the route of Live PA....look at what sasha is doing with ableton......hes doing live edits and shit....guys got a custom allen & heath mixer made for ableton....

u cant get any more creative than doing live PA....

pity he's still not got the hang of it though!

i'd agree that the sound of vinyl is a tad better than cd, but thats probably the only advantage it has, and with mixers like the xone v6 and numark ppd9000 having technology onboard to make cds sound warmer and more analogue, there really aint that much between them these days.

i use 70% vinyl at the minute, but when i come to new york in september, i'm leaving my decks and just going 100% cd. and it dosent really bother me too much to be honest.

i use vinyl when im spinnin at my crib.. at my boys crib he sold his tables a while ago and i use cds there but he is gonna get a new set of tables soon since he has a ton of vinyl.. at my other boys crib he has tables and a duel cd deck so i can use both there.. i have mixed on pioneer 500, 600, the rane mixer and ive used a variety of cd mixers so to me its just fun being able to use all the diff equip out there and getting the same sound i want..

i dont mind usin cds sometiems cuz some tracks are just impossible to find and i have friends that get some unreleased promos that have to be burned to cd cuz there is no other way to play them but i dont see cds taking over the way i spin cuz vinyl is always gonna be the way that i roll.. i can do em both but there is nothing like the crisp sound of a vinyl..

also i agree with what ovrdose said..

thats pretty sick.. for a guy like sasha whos been djing forever its only normal for him to take things to another level now with new equip and new controllers and such.. i guess he was getting bored of doing the same thing week in and week out.. u know what they say, variety is the spice of life so the more new toys that come out the more he can experiment and keep him on top of his game.. it also makes other djs want to step it up as to not be left behind wit the direction that live club music can go into

cds of all ur vinyl.. or cds of all dled music??

a bit of both really, i've started to transfer my vinyl onto cd, but ive always been downloading as well.

and working in a record store, tunes i cant afford just get taken home and put onto cd as well, so i've plenty of material and hopefully i'll not miss the black stuff too much.

will probably get a box of it shipped out too when i'm settled a bit

Viynl and only Viynl

Hate cds

Dude, if you use vinyl, at least spell it right.

I use both and yes, I love the looping aspect of mixing CD's when I do use them in my sets. Lately, my hands and ears are getting a little more adjusted to using CD-R's thank god but I still prefer, v-i-n-y-l. :hat:

nothing will ever compare to the control of vinyl but cd's are essential but what are u gonna do if a cd skips in the middle of a bangin set........so i mainly use vinyl cuz if a record skips u can easily recover from that but overall i like both :type: