Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How to score a record deal?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best aproach? Who to look for?? Is sending your production to DJ's a good idea? DT played one of my tracks, but one can't get in touch with the man.

Ray

www.transmitmusic.com

get your track to A&R's of music lables...if they like it they will get back at you...

also get your track out there to DJ's on CD-R....go to venues (mostly smaller ones, since big clubs like crobar and such wont give u access to DJ's) and just hand it to them....if they like it....they will play your song at gigs and build hype for you...

thats what ive been doing :D

get your track to A&R's of music lables...if they like it they will get back at you...

also get your track out there to DJ's on CD-R....go to venues (mostly smaller ones, since big clubs like crobar and such wont give u access to DJ's) and just hand it to them....if they like it....they will play your song at gigs and build hype for you...

thats what ive been doing :D

you have no clue.....lets just give it out to the world on CDR and then maybe a record label will buy it. go back to downloading you looooooozer

you have no clue.....lets just give it out to the world on CDR and then maybe a record label will buy it. go back to downloading you looooooozer

:laugh: aight kid tell that to every other DJ thats done it that way....YOU have no clue chief

PS Blow me

:laugh: aight kid tell that to every other DJ thats done it that way....YOU have no clue chief

PS Blow me

every other kid has not done it that way. You are just reacting to the industry today because the chance of getting a record deal has declined by 95 percent due to the illegal downloads and giving your track to every jock to get a buzz does not promote a record deal. If the track is worth signing in todays industry, the labels will pay and work it with their in house promoters. They do not need your help or the help of the producer. They key to this business,(like any other) is to sell product and the label wants to sell the track on their own. If its given out they have no use for it. Now go back to Kazza or Lime wire you wanna be Dj and as to your P.S. I dont eat shrimp.

whatever dude..your the expert.... :laugh: herb

and i support the scene, 95% of the time i either pay for the download or buy the vinyl so i dunno where your getting this kazaa bs..i wouldnt even put that spyware infested shit on my 2000 dollar mac....so go try and herb someone else out buddy

peace

whatever dude..your the expert.... :laugh: herb

and i support the scene, 95% of the time i either pay for the download or buy the vinyl so i dunno where your getting this kazaa bs..i wouldnt even put that spyware infested shit on my 2000 dollar mac....so go try and herb someone else out buddy

peace

WOW for someone who spends so much time giving advice to others, you sure walked away from this pretty quick. Trust me when I say I know what Im talking about and I didnt go looking for you to pick on but you (like many others) really have no clue when it comes to the "INSIDES" of the record business and telling someone to just give the track out to everyone to create some hype is absolutely wrong. Yes, this business has changed but the fundimentals are the same. SELL PRODUCT. And if that means by LEGAL downloads, so be it. But before you go on giving advice, "THINK". You did not work for a label. That I know. And as for your PS. Rude and immature.

Here's a PS for you. What was the last pc of vinyl you bought?

i spent 100 bucks on records last week....and 50 on downloads....want a list?

look bro.i dont know you...for all i know you might work for a record label...but for an unknown such as myself i do what works...who the fuck do i know in a lable? nobody...im not "industry" such as yourself so i gotta do what i gotta do. apparently this guy is in the same situation..when i am no longer an unknown...THEN maybe i'll WORK with the label...instead of acting like a jerk, how bout u say something constructive and give good advice instead of putting people down just to make yourself feel better....you reap what you sow kidd...i never spoken to you and the first thing u say about me is that im a looser? what the fuck is that all about kid? are you one of those internet trolls that diss people for pleasure? and then all of a sudden when i come back at you IM THE RUDE AND IMMATURE ONE?? fuck outa her man...

i spent 100 bucks on records last week....and 50 on downloads....want a list?

look bro.i dont know you...for all i know you might work for a record label...but for an unknown such as myself i do what works...who the fuck do i know in a lable? nobody...im not "industry" such as yourself so i gotta do what i gotta do. apparently this guy is in the same situation..when i am no longer an unknown...THEN maybe i'll WORK with the label...instead of acting like a jerk, how bout u say something constructive and give good advice instead of putting people down just to make yourself feel better....you reap what you sow kidd...i never spoken to you and the first thing u say about me is that im a looser? what the fuck is that all about kid? are you one of those internet trolls that diss people for pleasure? and then all of a sudden when i come back at you IM THE RUDE AND IMMATURE ONE?? fuck outa her man...

I thought I was saying something constructive. Maybe English is your second language but I said that giving away your work is not the path to a record deal TODAY. Tell me what astro and glyde got for an advance on "aimless dame" signed to bedrock and if they ever saw a royalty check since this was YOUR example.

Labels will pay for good work but leave it to them to work it to mixshow, clubland and radio. Thats my advice. Hows that for being consrtuctive?

You're both right.. even though Indy hasn't really provided any useful information besides stating the obvious; of course labels want shit that will sell, duh. A lot of established DJ's have their own labels and/or know insiders in the business, giving them a copy of your track(s) won't hurt you any. The music business is one of the hardest and most inconsistent business in the world, sometimes to 'make it' all it takes is being in the right place at the right time... the more you distribute your songs to DJ's, venues, A&R's, etc., the more your chances will go up obviously. By handing your stuff out to DJ's doesn't mean you just gave away rights to your song... all it does is increase your chances of someone at a label hearing it, then signing you.

so mailing out to a&r's is a bad idea? what other methods would there be to get it to labels?

its not a bad idea.. its just that they can get 1000's of songs a day, and usually only have time to listen to the 'hook' of the song or just a few seconds of it. So your chances of getting signed through them are very slim..

much better actually....thats all u had to say.

so mailing out to a&r's is a bad idea? what other methods would there be to get it to labels?

No, mailing out to A&R's is the way. They are the most qualified to make the record happen. Once it hits the internet.....ITS DONE !

Maybe I took it out on JUST YOU but too many people have so much to say and nothing to show for it. If your not in the biz, dont give advice(unless your sure). I would never sit her and try to tell you how to run a liquor store or a 711 or a coffee shop. Being a DJ does not qualify you on "How to get a record deal" And you never told me the last pc of vinyl you bought so I will assume that I was right about you all along..........DOWNLOAD COMPLETE.

You're both right.. even though Indy hasn't really provided any useful information besides stating the obvious; of course labels want shit that will sell, duh. A lot of established DJ's have their own labels and/or know insiders in the business, giving them a copy of your track(s) won't hurt you any. The music business is one of the hardest and most inconsistent business in the world, sometimes to 'make it' all it takes is being in the right place at the right time... the more you distribute your songs to DJ's, venues, A&R's, etc., the more your chances will go up obviously. By handing your stuff out to DJ's doesn't mean you just gave away rights to your song... all it does is increase your chances of someone at a label hearing it, then signing you.

Well said but the more you give it out...NOT THE BETTER. If its good and you provide the lable with a 4 min version with the hook coming in during the first 30 seconds. your chance is much better. I said it once and I'll say it again. ONCE IT HITS THE INTERNET ITS DONE.

i see....this is true...perhaps its just luck of getting some label exec to hear your track....

write good music, it'll sell itself :)

Whether its A&R's, self distribution/promotion, etc., its always very hard to get signed..

The problem with A&R's is, they have a lot of pressure on them.. they can't waste the execs time, so unless they think a song will definitely be a hit, they won't bother pushing it onto the record company. On the other hand, they're really your only way of getting through to the execs...

Well said but the more you give it out...NOT THE BETTER. If its good and you provide the lable with a 4 min version with the hook coming in during the first 30 seconds. your chance is much better. I said it once and I'll say it again. ONCE IT HITS THE INTERNET ITS DONE.

well i'm not really involved in the electronic music biz.. more so in the rock/pop. But through interviews and articles some DJ's really recommend getting your songs out to as many people as possible.. Sasha was one of them, and he owns a solid label so I figured he probably knows a thing or two.

i see....this is true...perhaps its just luck of getting some label exec to hear your track....

still waiting to hear what was the last pc of vinyl you bought. Why is this such a hard question to answer for someone who has so much advice to give? You spent 100 bucks this week? Where? What store and what did you get? Im up on the new tunes out there. Try me. Let me see what you bought this week. or last... or the week before...

The Industry sux Ass!

Forget about trying to make Progressive happen here there's no support.

Its Europe where one needs to look to:

Like any sales, at least from my experience, you need to make contact, build repoir and start throwing enough shit on the Wall & hope at least one sticks.

Oh, by the way, that track has to be off the hook of course.

303-