Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How to score a record deal?

in the end .......the point is to make money doing something u love....

i dunno......i get jumpy when i hear those names due to the mistique that comes with them....commercial, ect. ect.....but its better to get play than not to get play right?

better to be played and payed than underground and broke :(

Look at Abstrakts signature on VIP. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt mean to sound ignant....but u know how it is....

im just a small timer trying to get my feet wet and when you hear names that EVERYONE bashes all the time...u get a little shook...cuz people would say "oh jonny v or riddler plays that track...it MUST be horrible"...i def dont want people to think my track is horrible before they even give it a chance just cuz a DJ with a bad rep is playing it....scares people away u know?

i agree, but the people who bitch arent the ones who will keep your career going. Those tracks make money for a reason. ALOT of the commerical tracks that everyone bashes are amazingly produced. If u take out like 6 elements and take away some of the plugin-trickery, it would sound like a typical tribal track that most people would like.

why? because its "underground", but in reality, the commercial tracks have so much more in producttion value.

^ which brings me to another topic. I find it HILARIOUS how so many people can bash a track with the most amazing production value, yet sweat some of the simplest tracks. But i guess its hard to know what it what unless youve been tossed in front of board. Without actually seeing the process of making a track, i guess its easy to judge. ACID DOES NOT COUNT. Comparing acid to protools or logic is comparing a gokart to a viper. ALTHOUGH , for what it is, the program is fantastic.

^ which brings me to another topic. I find it HILARIOUS how so many people can bash a track with the most amazing production value, yet sweat some of the simplest tracks. But i guess its hard to know what it what unless youve been tossed in front of board. Without actually seeing the process of making a track, i guess its easy to judge. ACID DOES NOT COUNT. Comparing acid to protools or logic is comparing a gokart to a viper. ALTHOUGH , for what it is, the program is fantastic.

What sounds amazing to you, may sound like crap to others. It's all a matter of personal preference, it's not worth digging deeper into.

tru, but sometimes its like comparing apples to oranges. If you cant appreciate that trickety that goes into a production, its hard to judge. On a simple level, yes Its a matter of taste, But on another level its interesting to see others complain about a "shitty" track that is actually produced in the most amazing manner..but then praise something by lets say "insert popular NYC dj here" just because its his when the actual production isnt entirely there. between filters,pans,compression,etc i guess if u dont know the difference it doesnt matter, but to others who understand it on a different angle, its interesting to see that sometimes the simpler things just work and end up becoming much more popular.

You tell em Steph. ;)

I personally wouldn't sign any track that a dj already has. It has become so hard to keep track of what has already leaked, that it's not even worth the bother of signing shit thats out there already. I would stick to doing some RESEARCH and finding out who the A&R REPS are for the RESPECTIVE LABELS you are interested in signing with. Then make sure you send them a copy, FOLLOW UP, and KEEP FOLLOWING UP till they tell you to fuck off. (I disagree with you on this one Steph, I would rather tell a person we are not interested in your track and get it out of the way.)

The keyword here is RESEARCH... if you're not dedicated in doing so, then your track probably isn't worth signing.

Just my $.02

If a person calls/follows up, of course, telling them you're not interested should be a common courtesy (and lets them know right away). But usually A+R's don't call specifically to tell you they don't like it. They only call to tell you that THEY DO. And a lot of A+R reps are notorious for being "hard to find." hehe.

Was merely a disclaimer of sorts ;)

in the end .......the point is to make money doing something u love....

i dunno......i get jumpy when i hear those names due to the mistique that comes with them....commercial, ect. ect.....but its better to get play than not to get play right?

better to be played and payed than underground and broke :(

Exactly...as cool as it is to stay "cool" and "underground", you have to know that sales on tracks like that, that never become "commercial", in the grand scheme of things, don't sell very well (talking more about the US here). It's a matter of keeping your artistic integrity and making hardly any money or letting go a bit and making some money doing something you love.

As cheesy as a lot of people think KTU is (not denying it has its moments), the songs they play (whether it be mixshow or not) do get a lot more exposure than the songs they don't play.

Don't get scared away by the names that aren't necessarily cool...if they play your track, know that it's getting way more exposure than it ever would in club __x__. Radio reaches a lot of people. It even reaches the people that love dance music but don't know clubbing anymore, or those that never got into the clubbing in the first place.

tru, but sometimes its like comparing apples to oranges. If you cant appreciate that trickety that goes into a production, its hard to judge. On a simple level, yes Its a matter of taste, But on another level its interesting to see others complain about a "shitty" track that is actually produced in the most amazing manner..but then praise something by lets say "insert popular NYC dj here" just because its his when the actual production isnt entirely there. between filters,pans,compression,etc i guess if u dont know the difference it doesnt matter, but to others who understand it on a different angle, its interesting to see that sometimes the simpler things just work and end up becoming much more popular.

This is true of most music (in every genre)...simple stuff=easier to grasp on to for most, easier to remember for most.

It's a matter of the masses not being too complicated.