Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Science Fiction - And I'm not talking about the song!!!!

digitalphoenix

U know, OLD Shadow Lounge opening anthems and stuff, (wud up EV!)

Yup, I love this stufff....

The more wicked....the betta!!!! :bounce:

Science Fiction:

Dimensions of the Mind

Published: 3/5/05

sflarge.jpg What comes to mind when you hear the words, science fiction? For some, it's BEMs (bug-eyed monsters), flying saucers, and scantily-clad women being rescued from space invaders by rock-jawed, heavily muscled heroes with ray guns in their hands - *

*oh yea, remember those covers from like old 1960's & 70's comic books & vintage posters!???

These, of course, do exist in the world of SF, but there's much more.

SF is a genre of the imagination, of what could be, of what might happen, and of how we might face those possibilities. It's not bound by time, space, or even the laws of physics. As Rod Serling tells us in his introduction to The Twilight Zone episodes, it's a "dimension of the mind."

The Best of the Best

Often referred to as "speculative fiction," SF requires a suspension of disbelief by the reader. But this is true of any type of fiction. The best SF, strange as it may seem, is rooted deeply in the human condition as opposed to beings in alien galaxies light years away.

The following authors, well-known award winners in the SF field, provide fascinating and often startling glimpses into what could be, where we might travel, and what we might find there.

Each brief bio is accompanied by a link for more information on their work as well as a link to a representative novel or short story. This list is by no means exhaustive but offers a good starting point for novices of SF.

Isaac Asimov

Isaac Asimov was unarguably the most honored and beloved SF author of all time. He wrote more than four hundred books in virtually every field, both fiction and non-fiction. His Foundation series received the Hugo award for best SF series of all time. The movie, I Robot (feat. Will Smith), was based, very loosely, on his concepts. Isaac Asimov was born in Russia in 1920, grew up in the USA and died in 1992.

Representative work: Foundation

Brian Aldiss

Brian Wilson Aldiss is one of the most important science fiction writers still working today. He is known for his innovative literary techniques, fascinating plots, and memorable characters. Brian Aldiss became a Grand Master of Science Fiction in 1999.

Representative work: Helliconia Spring

Poul Anderson

Poul Anderson's first story was published in 1947, when he was just 20 years old. Notable among his early novels is "Brain Wave." Many of his later books are grouped by sequence -- the "Technic History" series featuring the characters Nicholas van Rijn and Dominic Flandry and the "Time Patrol" stories beginning with "Guardians of Times." Poul Anderson died in 2001.

Representative work: Brain Wave

Piers Anthony

Piers Anthony is one of the world's most prolific and popular authors. His fantasy "Xanth" novels have been read by millions around the world, and have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Although he is mostly known for fantasy and science fiction, he has written several novels in other genres as well, including historical fiction, martial arts, and horror.

Representative work: Omnivore

Alfred Bester

Alfred Bester was born in 1913 and died in 1987. Bester holds the honor of receiving the first Hugo award for his SF novel, "The Demolished Man," in 1953 and was awarded the Grand Master award in 1988. He wrote scenarios for DC Comics (The Green Lantern and Batman), radio (Charlie Chan and The Shadow), TV (Tom Corbet, Space Cadet), and was a book reviewer for the magazine, Fantasy & Science Fiction.

Representative work: The Stars My Destination

James Blish

James Blish (1921-1975) is best known as the author of a handful of seminal science fiction and fantasy novels (A Case of Conscience, Cities in Flight, Black Easter, The Day After Judgment). Blish was widely regarded as one of the most accomplished science fiction writers at the time of his early death from cancer.

Representative work: Cities in Flight

Ray Bradbury

Bradbury's best-known books, "The Martian Chronicles," "The Illustrated Man," "Farenheit 451" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes," are masterworks that cement his reputation as a legend in the world of SF. His poetic prose and boundless imagination have enthralled readers for decades.

Representative work: Farenheit 451

John Brunner

John Brunner (1934 – 1995) was a prolific British author of science fiction novels and stories. At first writing conventional space opera, he later began to experiment with the novel form. His 1968 novel "Stand on Zanzibar" won the 1969 Hugo Award for best science fiction novel, and is now considered a classic of the genre.

Representative work: Stand on Zanzibar

Arthur C. Clarke

Born in 1917, Arthur C. Clarke is most famous for his novel, "2001: A Space Odyssey." He has written numerous other books, including the "Rama" novels and several sequels to "2001," as well as many volumes of short stories. Clarke lives in Sri Lanka and successfully survived the tsunami but lost his diving school to the catastrophe.

Representative work: Childhood's End

Phillip K. Dick

Phillip K. Dick, author of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" (later made into the movie, Bladerunner), died in 1982 at the age of 53. In all, seven feature films have been made from his stories, including Minority Report, Screamers, and Total Recall. A prolific writer, Dick published 16 novels between 1959 and 1964.

Representative work: A Scanner Darkly

Harlan Ellison

Harlan Ellison has been called "one of the great living American short story writers" by the Washington Post; and the Los Angeles Times said, "It’s long past time for Harlan Ellison to be awarded the title: 20th Century Lewis Carroll." In a career spanning more than 40 years, he has won more awards for the 75 books he has written or edited, the more than 1700 stories, essays, articles, and newspaper columns, the two dozen teleplays and a dozen motion pictures he has created, than any other living writer.

Representative work: Angry Candy

Robert A. Heinlein

Often referred to as the "Dean of Science Fiction," Robert A. Heinlein was born in 1907 and died in 1988. His most well-known work, "Stranger In A Strange Land," has achieved cult status over the years. He was the first to be chosen as a Grand Master by the Science Fiction Writers of America, in 1975.

Representative work: Stranger in a Strange Land

Richard Matheson

Stephen King cites Matheson as "the author who influenced me most as a writer." Many know Matheson best for his many superb Twilight Zone scripts in the early years of the show. Other works by him include "The Incredible Shrinking Man," "I Am Legend," and "What Dreams May Come."

Representative work: I Am Legend

Larry Niven

Larry Niven is probably best known for his "Known Space" future history which contains over 30 short stories and novels which intermingle into a complex timeline dating from several billion years into prehistory into the world of 3200 and beyond. The most famous of these is "Ringworld," which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards in 1970.

Representative work: Ringworld

Robert Silverberg

Robert Silverberg is a multiple winner of both the Hugo and Nebula Awards. Born in 1935, Silverberg began publishing short stories in his early teens. His novels pushed genre boundaries and were often dark in tone as they explored themes of human isolation and the quest for transcendence.

Representative work: Lord Valentine's Castle

Theodore Sturgeon

Theodore Sturgeon (1918 - 1985) is one of the seminal "golden age" science fiction writers. He is well known in the genre for his stories that feature an almost elegiac prose style known as "rhythmic prose." Sturgeon also wrote many of the original Star Trek scripts.

Representative work: More Than Human

:)

Wicked is good.

Normal skcus...... (whut...you cant read backwards?..

the esses are still in place, beyotch!)

................................................ donkey balls.

:D

VIC???? u talking bout' SHADOW LOUNGE?????? that was like church to me on sat. back in my TRANCE days..... did ya ever go?

that was Church for me on sat. nights.

a couple of friends nicked named "el pastor" cuz i would go to Shadow religiously on SAt night.. :laugh:

R. I. P.

SHADOW LOUNGE :(

I miss all those days of George Acosta, Edgar V, and David Padilla...Shadow Lounge was probably the last of the really good clubs at the beach. The first year of Space was excellent too....George Acosta used to :gang: the crowd every Saturday....