Clubplanet Nightlife Community

congress vs baseball...

fkornre

.... hmmmm,..thats food for thought right there..... in a perfect world, that would be rule of thumb,..... but we dont live in one.....take the nfl for instance that has been hailed as a model of stringent drug control.... players still get caught using performance enhancing drugs...example: David Boston who was found to have been using THG, he gets suspended with no pay for some games and then he's taken right back into the fold..... talent doesnt come with every other dude, hence their astronomical salaries..... supplements and prescription medications have been known to contain traces of banned substances....if the one strike rule held true, you would have sub-par athletes all over the place...... they would be more like replacement players...the quality of the games would spiral faster than worldcom stock....

...as far as the "joe schmo" argument goes.... the said "joe" doesnt have a high paid legal team to cover his rear end..... its not a perfect world...... the rich will always have the benefit of the doubt.....

.....the argument that olympic caliber testing is the way to go is a god damn joke..... the IOC doesnt even have a "one strike-you-are-out" rule in place.... they "ban" athletes for two years....its only when it gets to be rampant that they ban for life..... i read somewhere that doping has got to levels of athletes having a blood transfusion from another person.... i have no clue how that works, but it seems to me the dopers are a step ahead of the game..... i believe there are records in a particular sport or another that has been set by a doping fiend who was never caught......and for that, we will go through life saying, ..."he/she was the ultimate" ....

...like i said, that hearing was a circus..all they didnt have was a clown....

i hear what ur saying and it all makes perfect sense...but u have to look at it that the youth of this country doesnt seem to understand how illegal it is...they see famous ppl do illegal drugs so they think they can do the same...these "so-called" role models need to start being held accountable for their actions as well as pay the price for illegal activity...

i hear what ur saying and it all makes perfect sense...but u have to look at it that the youth of this country doesnt seem to understand how illegal it is...they see famous ppl do illegal drugs so they think they can do the same...these "so-called" role models need to start being held accountable for their actions as well as pay the price for illegal activity...

...all my life, i have admired and praised athletes from all walks of life...not so much for thier field exceptional prowess, but for having to endure a wide array of media scrutiny.... now, we can sit here and pass judgement on whats right and whats wrong..... i wonder sometimes if the shoe was in the foot if things would be the same....

.... maybe some day i will have a kid or two....but by God, i hope i will be their role model like my dad has been for me.... placing blame on athletes for youth misconduct is just lame.... when do the parents take responsibilty for their own parenting failures ?? ..... i guess its easier to point fingers at others to cover for our own shortcomings..... i'm sorry, anyone that blames athletes for their kids pitfall shouldnt been a parent in the 1st place.....

....honestly, does anyone really believe if the athletes stopped taking performance enhancing substances the drug abuse would stop among juveniles ?? ...c'mon now, the word is out.... cant turn back the clock... lets deal with it.... just like the baby boomers who did drugs like it was going out of style,the same mofos are the biggest anti-drug crusaders.... how well has that worked ??.....

again...ur make very good points...but like u said in ur post above "in a perfect world" we should idolize our parents and want to grow up to be like them but u and i know that isnt tru...children want to grow up to be like the ppl they see on tv and go to the live events to see...very few ppl actually want to be like their parents when they are young...when we grow up and can actually rationalize more we understand that perhaps our parents werent such bad role models...but as youths we dont see this...

again...ur make very good points...but like u said in ur post above "in a perfect world" we should idolize our parents and want to grow up to be like them but u and i know that isnt tru...children want to grow up to be like the ppl they see on tv and go to the live events to see...very few ppl actually want to be like their parents when they are young...when we grow up and can actually rationalize more we understand that perhaps our parents werent such bad role models...but as youths we dont see this...

....you got a point there buddy.... all i'm saying is, having one congressional hearing isnt gonna fix the problem..... i think we've all been down this road before.... dont mind me, i'm just venting at what a joke our politicians are over in washington...

....you got a point there buddy.... all i'm saying is, having one congressional hearing isnt gonna fix the problem..... i think we've all been down this road before.... dont mind me, i'm just venting at what a joke our politicians are over in washington...

ur correct on that...it def wont fix the prob and it prob will never get fixed...but i am not political in any way nor do i actually watch the news for political views or anything...but i did watch a hell of alot of the congressional hearings and i was definately interested in what happened...whether i agree or disagree it was actually worth the time spent to watch and listen...

lola, normally i wouldnt go against u (u usually know ur ish) but how can u say they should get 2 chances??? if U get caught with a schedule III drug, ur going straight to jail, u do not pass go, u do not collect $200 bucks...ur ass is in jail...why should they get a 2nd chance???

I'm a big believer in 2nd chances when it comes to things like this. To try and go from a no-drug test policy to - oh you're going to jail policy - is not going to work... That will never happen.

I'm trying to put in prespective what i feel the policy should entail. There's absolutely no way those guys will be prosecuted and put in jail... so for me, I think Bud Selig should say - hey if you get caught, your suspended with no pay... if you test positive again - you're out... then if you get caught on the street - the cops can put you in jail.

ok...lets go with the suspension thing...but 2 years like the IOC uses with no pay and perhaps a year or 2 salary in fines...how bout that for a first offense...second offense banned for life...????

2 years is a little steep for MLB... IOC is international and were talking different countries, etc... MLB is north america only.

First offense - I think they should be suspended 30 days, no pay. After that, they have mandatory testing once every week/10 days randomly. If they are caught again, they are banned from MLB for a year.

After a year they come back, test poz again - banned for life.

2 years is a little steep for MLB... IOC is international and were talking different countries, etc... MLB is north america only.

First offense - I think they should be suspended 30 days, no pay. After that, they have mandatory testing once every week/10 days randomly. If they are caught again, they are banned from MLB for a year.

After a year they come back, test poz again - banned for life.

i think the first offense must be a very harsh one...30 days with no pay is not much for someone who is make millions of dollars a year...also a penalty of 1 year if they are caught again is not gonna deter ppl enuff...

pete rose gambled on baseball...to my knowledge gambling is legal in some states in this country...steroids are illegal and punishable by jail time in all 50 states including districts and provinces that the US governs...lets get serious from the get-go and not use baby steps...of course all just my opinions...

and lola...i got the g, lets go to sf...lol...

i think the first offense must be a very harsh one...30 days with no pay is not much for someone who is make millions of dollars a year...also a penalty of 1 year if they are caught again is not gonna deter ppl enuff...

pete rose gambled on baseball...to my knowledge gambling is legal in some states in this country...steroids are illegal and punishable by jail time in all 50 states including districts and provinces that the US governs...lets get serious from the get-go and not use baby steps...of course all just my opinions...

and lola...i got the g, lets go to sf...lol...

30 days with no pay might not hurt the player - but if its a big name guy, its going to tarnish the entire organization... The fans will ultimately be disgusted with the team and NOT GO TO THE GAMES. Trickle effect...

:laugh: no g for me.. ew... i'll get my hands on something else ;)

30 days with no pay might not hurt the player - but if its a big name guy, its going to tarnish the entire organization... The fans will ultimately be disgusted with the team and NOT GO TO THE GAMES. Trickle effect...

:laugh: no g for me.. ew... i'll get my hands on something else ;)

i dont think the fans will have the effect ur thinking of...perhaps for a few mins but lets see how the yanks pack em in the stands this season with a known roids abuser on their team...lets see if ur theory is right...

i dont think the fans will have the effect ur thinking of...perhaps for a few mins but lets see how the yanks pack em in the stands this season with a known roids abuser on their team...lets see if ur theory is right...

Noo you can't use the Yankees or the BoSox for that matter as an example.. their market is huge and its based on the fact that they have a rich tradition and 2093238203 all stars on their teams. Giambi juiced - but who cares.. people are flocking to see randy johnson, a-rod and jeter.

I meant smaller market areas.. I'm sure it wouldn't make a huge difference, but lets use the marlins as an example.

Marlins won the world series in 1997. The year after, they traded practically every all star with exception to Mike Lowell. The attendance SUCKEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD until they finally got their shit together and won again in what 2003?

My point is, if you have all-star players that get suspended - the team is gonna suck - and the attendance will drop........

:beer:

yea...but only a few places like fl, montreal (all the more reason they dont have a team anymore) are "small" markets for baseball...it seems to me that most other teams draw pretty large crowds throughtout the year...and with some teams that have good rosters, they boost the crowd at the stadiums that dont draw alot of ppl...

i dont think that a player will cause a team to be disliked just because they juice...i dont see it happening...if anything it draws more attention...ppl like good and bad publicity...it makes for better news...and that will keep ppl interested...

• 3 weeks later...