Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question: TV, Plasma or LCD?

Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor

Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand is to die for.....

# Dell Home is carrying this 20.1" LCD Monitor for $749.00 http://edealinfo.com/cgi-bin/dellacc.cgi?320-4111

# During checkout, apply 30% off special coupon code "D7L9QWS?X48W30" on it (Expires 04/03/2005 @ 5:59AM CST)

# Dell Home is offering Free Shipping on $29 or more

# Your Final Price: $749 - 30% = $524.30 + Free Shipping

chicks dig the plasmas... their little peanut-like brains associate plasma with lots of money to throw around...just go to circuit city and spend a good hour or two there... get whatever is easiest on the eyes...

werd, I sweat them shits bad...not the guys, the plasmas

Hey gang -- Don't worry -- your old buddy Dan is here to clear all this up. I literally did a ton of research before I purchased my plasma last year (plus I do a little freelance writing for tech mags like Sync and PC Magazine).

The short story is: Plasma is the way to go now for displays 42" and up. Within five years, however, LCD displays will replace plasmas as the cost of making larger LCD screens goes down, and companies can churn out enough to meet consumer demand.

The following is far more information than you really need, so feel free to stop reading here.

Burn-in is largely a myth with plasmas (and LCDs) -- early models had some issues, but it's not anything to get worked up about now. Dead pixels are a still aproblem to some extent -- make sure you buy from a retailer that will let you return or exchange a unit with even one dead pixel.

Contrast ratios are often listed with sets -- 1500:1, 2000:1, etc. These are totally useless, as there is not a set measurment for contrast.

Also, don't go by what the display looks like in a store. Most of the plasmas in stores have their brightness and contract kicked all the way up so they stand out under the bright neon lights and other sets.

You can get an ED plasma for under $2k now. That means it has a 420p (p="progressive") resolution (420 lines of vertical resolution). Regular tube TVs are 420i, which means they also have 420 lines, but only draw every other line each time the screen is refreshed (all odd, then all even).

True HD plasmas are more expensive, $3500 and up, but have either 720P or 1080i (i="interlaced") resolution. The catch is that DVDs, cable TV and most video game consoles top out at 420p. The only time you'd be able to appreciate the difference between an ED and HD plama is when you're watching HD channels (right now, Time Warner Cable has about 7 or 8).

So, if you're itching to buy a display now (and who isn't?) -- I'd get a 42" ED for around $2K, then replace it with a LCD in a few years when that technology matures.

The model I bought has been discontinued, so it won't help you, but it was a Daewoo 42" EDTV plasma -- not a big brand for electronics, but it was among the best-reviewed of sets in the $2-3K range, and was a little lighter than most, which made it easier to hang.