BOING BOING BOING BOING BANG BANG BANG BANG BOING BOING BOING and so on

hehehehe EVERYONE knows thats chicago hard house. smile.gif

luv,

brandie

------------------

"And those who were seen dancing

were thought to be insane by those

who could not hear the music."

"To love someone is something..to be loved by someone is something else..

but to be loved by the one you love is everything.." Rob AAF

loves2cox@netscape.net

AIM: loves2cox

[This message has been edited by brandie (edited 12-03-2000).]

These things are very hard to explain in words, but progressive as the name implies, moves forward. I hope that makes some sense. Simply put, the sound gets bigger and bigger, with lots of big builds. It is fun, but can get old and tiresome very quickly.

DJ's that spin this type of music now would be the entire Gatecrasher crew. Specifically Scott Bond, Matt Hardwick, Guy Ornadel, and Ashley Casselle among others.

If you are interested, one of Gatecrasher's newer cd's, the one with the green cover and yellow lion is pretty decent. They also just released a new one this past week I believe: Gatecrasher National Anthems.

Hope this helps.

------------------

*************************I got to thank god for the music.

Thats trance my friend. They say (gatecrasher) they're on that progressive tip but that's bullshit.

DJs that spin Progressive house & more

Anthony Pappa

Cass

Danny Howells

Steve Lawler

Quiver

Luis Diaz

Sasha

Digweed

Saeed & Palash

Deep Dish

Just to point out that there are loads of DJs playing this type of sound in their sets but also play other styles as well. Variety is the spice of life.

DUDE sasha digweed are all trance... sorry man but it is

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Thats trance my friend. They say (gatecrasher) they're on that progressive tip but that's bullshit.

DJs that spin Progressive house & more

Anthony Pappa

Cass

Danny Howells

Steve Lawler

Quiver

Luis Diaz

Sasha

Digweed

Saeed & Palash

Deep Dish

Just to point out that there are loads of DJs playing this type of sound in their sets but also play other styles as well. Variety is the spice of life.

------------------

plasma_ball_md_wht.gif

(SASHA & JOHN DIGWEED) (johnny v) (russ reign)(soul assasin ) [TUNNEL] thats whats its all about baby

Sure, Sasha & Diggers play some sort of trance but they also play loads of prog. house as well as house, breaks, tech house, and techno.

You can't label what those 2 play. They play it all.

That's why I clearly stated previously-

DJs that spin progressive house " & MORE"

[This message has been edited by Nolimit (edited 12-03-2000).]

I do think it's possible to define progressive house and trance on a technical level and contrast it to other styles of the same genre.

I don't have a music background, so my terminology is pretty lame, but this is how I see it...

Progressive music, house or trance, is generally lusher and softer sounding. The energy level is also generally a little lower, but more sustained. Reasons for this can be found in the percussion, melody, and instrumentation used - and the fact that in general the tracks are bassline driven.

Percussion: On the most part, take your standard 4/4 house beat, with high-hats every 1/2 beat, and snares every second beat... and drop the snares. This is part of the reason for the slightly lower energy level. It's like a techno beat without the attitude.

Melody: House and Trance (German anyway), generally have Melodies with very short (1/16 to whole) notes. And basslines with longer drawn out notes. Progressive tracks tend to reverse this (hence the bassline driven aspect). The melodies (if any) are often long synth pads. This is predominant in progressive trance ala S&D.

Instrumentation: Like I mentioned above, there's a lot of pad sounds (don't know how to describe it - grab a synth and play to see what I'm talking about). Also look for very drawn out attacks and decays.

If you'd like to hear a song that I feel exactly perfectly embodies all the aspects of Progressive House - listen to: Dusted - Always Remember to Honour Your Mother and Your Father (Deep Dish Rmx).

help?

Originally posted by glowball:

DUDE sasha digweed are all trance... sorry man but it is

Digweed is not trance. Maybe he has played a few trance songs during his sets but he is NOT a trance DJ. He has never classified himself as a trance DJ and does not like the fact that he has been classified as one by many people. He has always been dark and progressive. go to Napster and download a few sets from back in 99(the year of trance). Compare a Digweed set to a Van Dyke or Oakenfold set(the kings of trance). Go back even further and you'll see Digweed has a sound all his own. He has been playing dark progressive beats LONG before it was the new big thing.

Digweed - not trance.

[This message has been edited by kaspr (edited 12-04-2000).]

the word progressive is practically defined by what sasha is playing, the most upfront and new sounding tunes, always deep dark and meaningful. Whether it be (progressive) trance, breaks or whatever.

Scott Bond plays trance of the none progressive variety, ash casselle does do the prog thing though