Clubplanet Nightlife Community

borough to impose 13 conditions on D'Jais' renewed license

Town renews bar's license but imposes conditions

Published in the Asbury Park Press 06/23/05

BY

COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU

BELMAR — After a 2 1/2-hour hearing that attracted more than 200 people, the Borough Council approved D'Jais' liquor license renewal with a number of conditions intended to reduce rowdyism and smooth relations with people living nearby.

The popular beachfront bar has been under fire since April, when the Belmar Homeowners Association filed a complaint against renewing its license. The association cited an "exorbitant number of disruptive incidents," called for the borough to establish penalties against "animal bars," and asked that police officers be posted around D'Jais.

The heated debate prompted the borough to impose 13 conditions on D'Jais' renewed license and ordered that the police chief and the bar owner assist the state Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control in determining if the bar's operations and occupancy levels are related to the homeowners' complaints.

Wearing D'Jais T-shirts, supporters of bar owner Frank Sementa appeared en masse Wednesday night to oppose any restrictions to the bar's operation. But after testimony from the police chief, the Borough Council added conditions agreed to by Sementa. Those conditions include not admitting new patrons after 1 a.m. and stopping re-entry at 1:30 a.m., keeping sidewalks and exits clear, toning down music at 1:15 a.m., stopping liquor sales at 1:30 a.m., monitoring the number of drinks sold to patrons and coordinating with the police on the "shush patrol" in nearby neighborhoods.

Sementa said he gathered 664 signatures on a petition supporting D'Jais

"Residents and tourists have traditionally co-existed. They have socialized together, patronized the town's businesses together and enjoyed Belmar's charms together. This relationship has benefitted both groups," he said. "We urge the mayor and council to refrain from adopting regulations that would change the character of Belmar."

Michael Repsha of Surf Avenue said "he sees no problem whatsoever" living near D'Jais but his brother could not take the noise and moved to Howell.

"I moved to the area," he said. "I chose to live in the area. You don't like where you live, move out to Howell."

Population changing

Instead of moving out, many residents have moved into the borough, as Belmar has embarked on an ambitious redevelopment to transform the 1-square-mile town into a year-round community. While the borough remains one of the most popular summer resorts at the Jersey Shore, in recent years rental homes have been torn down for more expensive single-family homes.

A lot of the permanent residents — many new faces — have lower tolerance levels for the often-rowdy behaviors of patrons of the old Belmar establishments, such as bars and restaurants that are open past midnight.

Maureen McCaffery, president of the homeowners association, said she welcomes summer visitors but she wants a "cleaner, safer and quieter" Belmar with better quality of life.

"We are just looking for a balance," she said. "I just have people destroying your property, I can't get a night's sleep. I have no problem people coming into town."

Police Chief Jack Hill testified Wednesday that two police officers gathered data every week from May to mid-June about D'Jais' operation.

He said D'Jais is well run with observant bouncers and an effective patrol of employees who ask patrons to be quiet in residential neighborhoods. Hill also said bartenders had trouble monitoring the number of drinks partons consume when D'Jais becomes crowded.

But Hill said D'Jais has not violated the borough's noise ordinance or state Alcohol and Beverage Control regulations.

He recommended that D'Jais stop admitting people at midnight, change their music tempo an hour earlier at 12:30 a.m and stop selling liquor at 1 a.m. Hill also said D'Jais should sell no more than two alcoholic drinks to a patron at one time, increase the number of security personnel in the bar and keep the line of people waiting outside to enter the bar to 75.

Owner's lawyer objects

William Wolf, Sementa's attorney, objected to imposing conditions on the license, and said the recommendations don't much match the findings by police and the state ABC board.

"This is a well-run establishment and nothing should change," he said. "These conditions are unfair. They are discriminatory and they have detrimental and adverse effect on my client's business."

After more testimony from Sementa, both sides agreed on some conditions. Mayor Kenneth Pringle said residents and businesses should respect each other and find a way to co-exist.

William Kaiser, 52, of 19th Avenue, said D'Jais has been very quiet this year.

"It's been so quiet since the last meeting that it's crazy." he said. "It's the best I have every seen. I don't like it personally. I like the noise."

He recommended that D'Jais stop admitting people at midnight, change their music tempo an hour earlier at 12:30 a.m and stop selling liquor at 1 a.m. Hill also said D'Jais should sell no more than two alcoholic drinks to a patron at one time, increase the number of security personnel in the bar and keep the line of people waiting outside to enter the bar to 75.

What the hell does tempo have to do with decibels and sound pressure levels?

Change the tempo how?? up or down?? Sound carrys a lot further and resonates louder with a slower tempo.

And how do you limit a line to "WAIT" to 75 people??? Wait, to get on a line to wait, to get in the club?????

Isn't the purpose of a line ,is that you are LIMITING the people in the club?

What do you do? tell people they cant wait on line??? go wander around the neighborhood and piss in some bushes and come back when the line is under 75 people.

Police chief is also recommending that they serve only two drinks to a patron at one time. That is the NJ ABC LAW. He doesn't know the laws????

I wont even comment on the stop selling at 1am suggestion.

Sounds like the police chief is out to get djais.

the story is all wrong there were not 13 conditions imposed but 2

they had to slow down the music at 130 (which they do anyway) and no new people can come in after 1am....

that newspaper should be sued for printing the wrong info like that

all this shit is bullshit....the news paper called us and asked if we were open upstairs one monday...and the next day thep printed we were closed for good...i wonder how these writters dont get beat the F up