Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Technology

There are products on the internet that allow you to control devices via brain waves. People like BT, Sasha and Scanner are all looking into utilising these tools to control various aspects of their performances.

The science is VERY inetresting (in a nerdy way). Basically the resons people experiance highs without drugs in clubs as to do with the beat and the lights putting you brain into an alpha state.

Anyway, i am implementing a system like this for a freind. Allowing him to trigger midi devices that take the parameters from EEG brain waves, it will also control visual slides. There are systems like this already on the market but they are over $2000 dollars. It looks like i will be able to supply these systems for less than $200 (if you have a PC).

I would be interested to here people's thoughts on this and if anybody would have any specific devices they think would benafit from this.

For instance a drummer could trigger a string instrument the attack / delay would be altered by the device so when the drummer speeds up the beats the strings would become more intence.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation it's self.

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by spoonyd:

b2b

really?

What do you use for sensors?

LOL, nah just making it up wink.gif

It uses small pads that fit on the scull ( I am going to incorporate them into a headband or visor with lights on (to help visibility on the decks etc).

I am buying the hardware in, my end is writing the software (I hope to market this when the bugs are ironed out).

It sound very complicated but it's not at all the technology has been around for ages. I was just messing with it after I watch better living though circuitry.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation it's self.

bsb2.GIF

Originally posted by spoonyd:

b2b

really?

What do you use for sensors?

LOL, nah just making it up wink.gif

It uses small pads that fit on the scull ( I am going to incorporate them into a headband or visor with lights on (to help visibility on the decks etc).

I am buying the hardware in, my end is writing the software (I hope to market this when the bugs are ironed out).

It sound very complicated but it's not at all the technology has been around for ages. I was just messing with it after I watch better living though circuitry.

LOL, nah just kidding wink.gif

Yeh the sensors ar just small round things that stick to your head. I just buy the hardware so dont ask me how that works. I will be incorperating the sensors into a orbital style headband (maybe with lights).

I am mainly writting the software and control mechanisms.

It's not new technology (20 years old), it's all pretty simple. You can 'teach' the system do use triggers.

When i have ironed out the bugs i am going to market it.

You can't jerk my chain like that. That's the kind of thing I do for a living. I develop products and could probably pull off something like that, especially if the technology is just lying around.

It's not as ridiculous as it may sound at first.

ps - posting troubles?

I don't think so. Sure you can hook sensors up to your head (like an EKG) but you can't intentionally modulate your brain waves to control devices unless you're the kind of person who can control their own heart rate, bend spoons, walk through walls, etc. For the normal Joe this isn't really possible yet. Nice idea though.

Originally posted by klaxon:

I don't think so. Sure you can hook sensors up to your head (like an EKG) but you can't intentionally modulate your brain waves to control devices unless you're the kind of person who can control their own heart rate, bend spoons, walk through walls, etc. For the normal Joe this isn't really possible yet. Nice idea though.

It's perfectly possible there are 2 or 3 products on the market but they cost 10 times the cost that i can ALLREADY do it for. Just do a search on yahoo for brain waves and you will see (sorry that all the info people are getting). It has nothing to do with controlling your brain or walking through walls.

The thing that truned me on to this is a $40 kit i got 10 years ago for a zx spectrum you could control ballon on screen.

I actually have the system triggering software patterns on the screen at the moment, and it will also create a midi file.

It's not future, it's yesterday. But people are only just begining to utilise it.

yOU KNOW WHAT'S FUNNY, FOR YEARS PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY HAVE ALWAYS SAID IMAGINE IF YOU COULD PLUG IN A MIDI CABLE TO THE STEM OF THE BRAIN AND BE ABLE TO EXTRACT THE SOUNDS AND ARRANGEMENTS, WE CAN'T BE TO FAR OFF FROM THAT... GO FOR IT MAN! cwm19.gif

Originally posted by SPHERIC:

yOU KNOW WHAT'S FUNNY, FOR YEARS PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY HAVE ALWAYS SAID IMAGINE IF YOU COULD PLUG IN A MIDI CABLE TO THE STEM OF THE BRAIN AND BE ABLE TO EXTRACT THE SOUNDS AND ARRANGEMENTS, WE CAN'T BE TO FAR OFF FROM THAT... GO FOR IT MAN! cwm19.gif

Dont know about that!! The midi files i am getting are a little random... they sound a bit like an arpegiator. But as a trigger for loops instruments it works really well i can get 3 different triggers working now, but the more i work on it the more i can get. But i can also get a frequencey from three different brain wave (alpha/beta/theta) so there are possibilities. You can tell how excited or relaxed somebody is..

This shit is sooo interesting because you can just sit there watching your brin work, have a spliff and watch everything calm down, have a line and shit goes through the roof. (haven't tried rolling yet wink.gif).