Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dance Valley

So excited I am going this year :bounce::bong::beer: FIRST TIME ever to Europe August 4th thru August 8th I will be in AMSTERDAM. Then I am going oto Athens and to the Island of Mykonos (I will see Dave Calrke for the first time in 9 years) Then back to Amsterdam on Thursday and return here on Friday.

Dance Valley - dag 1 on 05 August 2005

Time: 10:00 - 23:00

Location: Recreatiegebied Spaarnwoude - Spaarnwoude, Nederland

Style: Sll dance styles

Dance Valley Festival 2005: One dance, one love, one happiness, one weekend........and 60,000 partypeople:

11 years ago some Dutch friends decided to throw a dance party near Amsterdam in the spirit of the ever famous Glastonbury festival. A festival full of dance, love and happiness. This festival became commonly known as "the Woodstock of Dance". In all these years, the worlds greatest DJ’s hosted the stages. People came from all over the world to visit the valley of dance. To enjoy the summer, to feel the everlasting positive vibe, to embrace the sounds that roll between the hills. On Friday the 5th of august, UDC is proud to present the first weekend edition of Dance Valley Festival for 15,000 dance people.

For those - the real party people – Dance Valley will last for three days and will be ended on Sunday the 7th august at the magnificent Spaarnwoude recreational area. Those party and camping people are witnesses of the first dance festival in Dutch music history to last for more than one day.

On Friday there is a total of eight areas at the festival-site of which one is a huge open air stage. On this stage Carl Cox and Sasha will undoubtly be the main attractions, however firework can also be expected by Italian techno dj Marco Corola and Nick Warren from Britain. The always packed HQ area proudly presents the undisputed ‘queen of hard dance’ Lisa Lashes who will share stage with Dutch heroes JP and Fausto, and British artists like BK and K-90.

The two Dutch organisations Electronation and Reactor both have an interesting line-up with the best techno and electro dj’s around the world. The Amsterdam based Loveland imprint surprises on Friday with Detroit-guru Derrick May and two fine dj’s from England: Dave Angel and Jamie Anderson. The always crowded Eurogrooves tent shows a musical program that leans more towards trance than the day after. The progressive house institute Renaissance is proud to present the magical duo Deep Dish on Friday.

Unique for this edition of Dance Valley is the campsite where you can spend the weekend! The dance campsite is a camping trip to the country’s most energetic campsite in the Spaarnwoude recreational area feels like an exciting expedition to the Amazon. A great and unknown adventure, will definitely be a welcome mini break. For some, it will mean surviving on little sleep, but for most, an unparalleled electronic journey. But the fact is that thorough preparation makes partying and dancing in the magical Velsen hills a whole lot more pleasant. So pleasant that you don’t have to worry about food or showers! The shopping can be done in the supermarket on the campsite: buns, sandwich filling, and orange juice for tomorrow’s breakfast. And some alcoholic drinks and crisps to enjoy the memory after returning from the festival grounds. The showers will be available to give yourself a rise and shining look.

Naturally, the real party is taking place Friday and Saturday on the sloping countryside next to the campsite. If you think that the party is over when all the lights and lasers go out and the last beats fade from the speakers, think again. The dance campsite is just a short walk from the event, but most visitors will not be crawling into their sleeping bags at midnight. The day is reviewed outside of the tents while enjoying a drink and a bite to eat; experiences are exchanged, and next day’s programme checked out.

Everybody who will join on Friday have to stay overnight at the campsite and will get a chance to experience ‘Silent Disco’. At Dance Valley, Silent Disco will be there with her ‘Double Digital Silent Disco’ with state-of-the-art headphones. The sound will be digital and people can control bass, treble and volume levels. What is entirely new is the fact that you dance people can switch between two channels without experiencing any sound interference. You can choose between DJs from Dance Valley’s line-up, playing dance, and Silent Disco DJs, who play a mix of all possible house styles. Just see different dance styles and encourage each other to change channels. The headphones are free and people can dance as long as they like!

But the Silent Disco is not all of the joy you can get. In the Cyber Arena that also will be in the Valley, dance people will enter the fast paced virtual arena where gaming rules! Experience the world’s top video games under one roof exclusively created and built for Dance Valley Friends and family. Be the first to experience games before they come out to the public or play classics in an arena custom build for the true video game fanatics!

Whether you want to play an exhibition match against your friend or jump on the battle of all battles on the main stage and be seen by all as you slay your opponent, the call is yours. Whether you are an online dominator or a newbie, the video arcade will give you a rush unlike any other. With large screen projections for a truly larger than life multi-player gaming experience, numerous gaming kiosks, laser lights, projections and fog machines as well as a gaming lounge, the Dance Valley Cyber Arena will be an experience not to be missed.

And if you think that’s enough, Dance Valley is pleased to present, coming for the first time to Europe, straight from the United States: BOOM! CINEMA, a cutting edge festival of Music, Feature Films, Short Films and exclusive music videos from all over the world.

Boom! Cinema is the brainchild of Sid Zuber, one of the original creators with a shared vision which led to development of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in the United States. The festival has received numerous awards including the prestigious Pollstars Festival of the Year, for two consecutive years. With such a reputation to uphold, Coachella boasts an impressive line-up of talent from all over the world. Included in the line-up for this year are: Nine Inch Nails, Keane, Coldplay, Weezer, Snow Patrol, Josh Wink, Ambulance LTD, M83, Jamie Cullum, Boom Bip, Armin Van Buuren, JunkieXL, the Chemical Brothers, the Prodigy, New Order, Bauhaus, the Gang of Four, Arcade Fire, Donavon Frankenfreiter, Autolux, Stereophonics, Z-Trip, DJ Krush, M.I.A., Thrice, Roni Size and more.

Off course a special café will be open at the campsite. The Café never closes and is designed to be a fun meeting place for the festival guests. Visitors can drop by during the middle of the night for a drink, a cup of coffee or bite to eat. In the morning it is naturally the ideal place to have breakfast, read the paper and start a new day of partying in Spaarnwoude.

Next day, on Saturday the 6th august from 10 o’clock in the morning, we – all 15.000 diehards – will welcome the other 45,000 people at the entrance of Dance Valley and the total of 60,000 people dancing in the valley will be reality. One dance, one love, one happiness........ Dance Valley Festival 2005.

The line up for Saturday will be as amazing as Friday. A one-liner by Carl Cox from England goes as follows: “Missing Dance valley for a year means not having lived for a yearâ€. This year, Mr Dance Valley will be present on both days and the DJ states he can hardly wait to pack his bags and make the crossing to Velsen. Cox will host an own area called Global Stage and will be headliner on Friday on the mainstage. Carl Cox: "Friday provides room for 15,000 people only; Saturday for 60,000. However, the number of visitors will not influence my set. Often, less is more. Friday will largely be attended by real fans who really want to go crazy. I’m happy to host for the second time in my career an own area at the festival and I’ve invited the best techno names for that."

On the mainstage German Paul van Dyk and Ferry Corsten from the Netherlands with set the Valley on fire with their hypnotic trance. Something to absolutely look out for is the performance of American masters Deep Dish. HQ has booked two of the most famous hard dance artists in the world with Finnish whirlwind Proteus and Englishman Tom Harding. Also look out for the Armada Open Air Stage hosted by no one less than Armin van Buuren, a pretty new area that was a huge success last year. Everybody who loves pumping house with a trance twist has to visit the Eurogrooves tent. Renaissance finally managed to book the best dj’s in the world with Sasha, Steve Lawler and Hernán Cattáneo.

In those 2 days over 150 world class artists will be present on Dance Valley Festival.

Going out of your mind with the best DJ’s and live acts in the world an entire weekend; that is what it is all about. Everyone will take a short night for granted, and catch up on sleep when they return home, tired yet satisfied.

If you’re looking for more information about the festival, please surf to the official Dance Valley Festival 2005 website. You will find it at www.dancevalley.com

We hope to welcome you all at Dance Valley Festival 2005.

Festival: 5 & 6 August 2005

Campsite: 5 – 6 & 7 August 2005

Recreational Area Spaarnwoude – Amsterdam Velsen

TICKETS:

62,50 Euro ex fee Saturday only // 95 Euro ex fee Weekend ticket

UK & THE REST OF THE WORLD:

PHONE: +44 1702 34 50 50

EMAIL: info@ticketbank.co.uk

WEB: www.ticketbank.co.uk

Coach trips from United Kingdom.

Check: www.radicalescapes.com

The Line-up:

Friday 5th of August:

::Main::

Carl Cox

Sasha

Marco Carola

Christopher Lawrence

Nick Warren

Erick Pike

::Eurogrooves::

Eddie Halliwell

Above & Beyond

Tall Paul

Jean

Ronald van Gelderen

Marcel Woods

Ian Betts

Ton TB

::Reactor::

Gaetano Parisio

Darren Kay & Preach back 2 back

Jan Liefhebber

Vin-iLL

A.R.D.

Hardcell LIVE

Carlos Rios & Vincent de Wit LIVE

Oliver Kucera LIVE

::Renaissance::

Deep Dish

Satoshi Tomiie

Nic Fanciulli & Behrouz

Marcus James

Nick K

::Loveland::

Eric Prydz

Derrick May

Sebastien Leger

Dave Angel

Jamie Anderson

Marnix

Vince Watson LIVE

Joris Voorn LIVE

::HQ::

BK

Lisa Lashes

JP

Mark EG

Energy Dai

Paul Glazby

Amber D

Fausto

Danny D

Mixmag prize winner

K-90 LIVE

::Electronation::

Jesper Dahlback

Headman

Agoria

Dion

Nuno Dos Santos

Pablo vs Nauta

Alter Ego (Live)

Jon Tejada (Live)

Codec & Flexor (Live)

Drillem (Live)

::Chill::

Crystina

Zaven

Funky Paradox

Ambient Daan

MPS Pilot

::Entrance::

Robert Feelgood

Vicenzo da Bull

Melvin Reese

Kreed

Alex

Saturday the 6th of August

::Mainstage::

Deep Dish - Paul van Dyk

Ferry Corsten

Ben Sims

Nic Fanciulli & Dean Coleman

Trevor Rockcliffe

David Mas

Alexander Koning

::HQ::

Proteus

Tidy Boys

Tom Harding

Eddie Halliwell

Scott Project VS Derb

JP

Danny D

Rob Tissera

Jay Pidgeon

Rossi

Dark by Design aka Gaz West LIVE

Organ Donors Dex n FX

::Global Stage::

Carl Cox

Chris Liebing

Umek & Valentino Kanzyani

Marco Bailey

Michel de Hey

Lucca

Vibe

::Armada Stage::

Armin van Buuren

Markus Schulz & Perry O'Neil

Remy

M.I.K.E.

Stonebridge

Harry Lemon

Mischa Daniels

::Eurogrooves::

Christopher Lawrence

Jean

G-Spott

Jochen Miller

Randy Katana

Adam Sheridan

Ian Betts

Marcus

Scott Mac

E-Craig

NU NRG LIVE

::Concept::

Kevin Saunderson

Derrick May

Darren Kay

Preach

Anderson Noise

Shinedoe

Greg Martini

Alexander Kowalski LIVE

Hertz LIVE

::Renaissance::

Sasha

Steve Lawler

Hernan Cattaneo

James Zabiela

Redanka

Joyce Mercedes

Infusion LIVE

::Loveland::

Darren Emerson

Seb Fontaine

Dr Kucho

Marnix

Benny Rodrigues

Erick E

Roog

Mustafa

Laidback Luke

Sebastien Leger LIVE

Dimitri & Eric Nouhan LIVE

::Circo Loco::

Timo Maas

Richie Hawtin vs Ricardo Villalobos

Tania Vulcano

Cirillo

Luciano

Clive Henry

Locodice

Fabrizio

Andrew Grant

::Electronation::

Basti/Tiefschwarz

Steve Bug

DJ T

Terry Toner vs. Herr Arter

Mason

Monika Electronika

Groove Addicts

The Youngsters (Live)

::Psychadelic Trance::

Xavier Morel

Bansi

Riktam

Stella Nutella

Zen

FDG

Infected Mushroom LIVE

::Chill::

Sven van Hees

Ambient Daan

Zaav

Ishtar

Ocean

::Entrance::

Miss Nine

Rob Boskamp

Bjorn Know-How

Deep Mac

I AM RETARDED EXCITED FOR THIS, THANKS GLOW and FLOW, without you this wouldnt be possible for me.

Dancevalley is definitely the best party ever. I've gone to every one for the last 6 years, with the unfortunate exception of last year. The vibe is excellent the lineups are always world-class - and it just keeps on getting better and better every year. Just search for "dance valley" and dialectics on the ny and "clubbing in other areas" board and you'll find all of my reviews of previous parties.

Stop by coffeeshop 222 and get some of the finest white widow the universe has to offer, and you never know who might stop by and play a surprise set in that tiny little place.

I've travelled to many places in world in search of the perfect party - and dancevalley is de beste!

My whole life I wanted to attend a festival in Europe. This party wasnt on the top of the list (I would rater have gone to SMS,, I love Techno or something like that) but I will take what I can get. ANYTHING over there has to be 100x better than we have here. Just so FUCKIN excited. I will check out 222 too

• 2 weeks later...

oh wait a second according to my schedule i should be pissing on your shoe out of jealousy around 645pm today. Please make note of it ..

j/k -- as jealous as i am, i wish you twice as much in fun and excitement. My plan is to do the same next year then fly to ibiza and bug out over there. Hopefully my heart will pop while gettin down at some club ....

My whole life I wanted to attend a festival in Europe. This party wasnt on the top of the list (I would rater have gone to SMS,, I love Techno or something like that) but I will take what I can get. ANYTHING over there has to be 100x better than we have here. Just so FUCKIN excited. I will check out 222 too

as i am extremely jealous about dance valley, just thought i would interject for the american festival bashers, or maybe just thosse that think the grass may be greener. check http://www.wintermusicconference.com/idmanominees.htm # 37. cheers

as i am extremely jealous about dance valley, just thought i would interject for the american festival bashers, or maybe just thosse that think the grass may be greener. check http://www.wintermusicconference.com/idmanominees.htm # 37. cheers

37. BEST DANCE EVENT

Love Parade, San Francisco

Ultra Music Festival, Miami

Dance Valley, Netherlands

Godskitchen Global Gathering, UK

Trance Energy, Netherlands

I have been to Ultra (2002) it was OK, NOT the best party I ever been to in America but it was fun. I have a video from 2004 from Dance Valley (trance stage)and as much as I hate trance :vomit2: Tiesto had the place jumpin and the lights (lazers) were just incredible :woah:

ONE week from today.

Im leaving on the next plane,

Dont know when I will be back again :rolleyes:

Kiss me and smile for me

tell me that your never leave

hold me close and NEVER let me go............... :bong::bounce:

here is my guide to amsterdam. this is an e-mail i wrote to a non-smoker, non-clubber. so in terms of that, i would have to say aside from 222 my favorite coffeeshop is baba. they play serious hardhouse, have a great decor and have giant glassware pieces that you can try if you get your stuff from there. also, they sell spacecake which you can take to go. in terms of the coffeeshops with the best stuff, i liked the greenhouse for the cleanest, and for serious pound-your-ass-to-the-floor, try "hard rock and fz" which is also called "the cannabis cafe". it is located a short walk from centraal station, and is always my first stop every time i go to amsterdam (i'm usually there with my suitcases!). just 3 puffs and you will forget your own name:

S: I can't believe that every year we end up here and five seconds later we forget our own names.

R: I remember my name.

S: OK, what is it?

R: Um, I forgot.

they play mostly rock and have a pool table - and it is one of the few places where you can smoke and also buy/drink alcohol. the only downside is that they have a bakery right across whose pastry case is directly facing the window, and it is just way too tempting. La Canna on Nieuwendijk is a great place for beginners because the staff is very friendly and will take the time to explain the different brands for you.

be warned - the stuff you get in amsterdam, in general, is much stronger than anything you are used to. for your first time i recommend buying j's or small 1gr bags so you can try all of the different kinds from all the different shops.

if you are looking for mushrooms, my favorite place is conscious dreams. the people behind the counter are very helpful and will recommend exactly the kind you need for the kind of trip you want. My only caveat is to avoid the philosopher stone at all costs. the trip is great, intense and visual but very light physically, but they taste like cow poop, and the texture is, well, like cow poop.

Another great smoking gem is the marijuana museum - if you pay the 5 euro to see the garden, and ask nicely, they will let you use their vaporizer. if you get the right guide, they will also let you smoke freshly grown stuff from their garden. they are very picky about people touching the plants though - bugs are attracted to the oils left by hands, and they'd like to keep it the cleanest stuff on the planet.

also do not smoke in the street (except around dam square) or in the museumseplein. you can (and should) smoke in vondelpark though. most hotel rooms also do not allow you to smoke anything (including cigarettes!) in your hotel room - and if you are busted then they will kick you out. you should ask first.

Finally, check out the glassware at the frying dutchman, which is right across the street from the marijuana museum. they display $1000 pieces which are quite insane, but their reasonably priced pieces are worth seeing.

ok, here is my review:

Amsterdam is a small city, so its best to experience it on foot. Also, the streets are very confusing (you can’t even hold the map straight if you want to see where you’re going) and they change names often. Instead of manhattan where the streets form a grid, Amsterdam has concentric circles. The center is centraal station, which is the main train station. From there, the main tourist street – damrak, will take you down to some shady alleyways and things like that. If you head all the way to the right you will find a great pedestrian mall for shopping. To the left of damrak is the red light district, and you can imagine what goes on there. Its an interesting walk at night, but be very careful because of pickpockets, and it is really not safe to be there after 3am – you will have no problems before then though. The rest of Amsterdam closes at 2am, so it’s the only place open for about 1hr, but after that hour its really not safe. In the redlight district, there is a coffeehsop called Baba, which is by far my favorite. It has this Moroccan theme to it, and they sell spacecake that is very nice to eat when you have a few hours to spend in the park (either vondelpark or the museumseplein)

As you go down to the bottom of the red light district, you will find it getting more and more civil. Down at the bottom, by oudezis voorburgwal, there is a coffeeshop called 222 – go in there and grab me as many flyers as you can and bring them home for me. 222 is my 2nd favorite coffeeshop, they are affiliated with dancevalley, and they always have djs that come and play dance music. Also, take a look at the cannabis college that is 1 block away. The bulldog is right next door – they say they are the first coffeeshop in Amsterdam, and maybe they’re right. It is a friendly atmosphere there and you can chill out if you want. In terms of the best quality, the place you want to try is called the Greenhouse – especially the northern lights or ak-47, also the rokerij is phenom as well though i felt a little weird about staying there for too long. but enough about the coffeehshops.

In terms of museums, there are three that you cannot miss. The first is the Rijksmuseum, which is the dutch national gallery. You cannot miss it – its huge! They are especially known for Vermeer and Rembrandt. Rembrandt’s night watch is one of their treasures. Right across from the Rijksmuseum is the van gogh museum. They have 3 floors plus an annex for “modern art that van gogh would have liked.†Its pretty crazy. These two museums, along with the steedelik (or something like that) and the dutch concert hall make up the museumplein, which has a nice park which is good for peoplewatching. I like to stay in this area because it is walking distance to anywhere in the city, but it is nice and quiet away from the 24/7 noise of the centraal station area. My favorite hotel is called the heemskerk – http://www.hotelheemskerk.nl . It is run by this guy named Norman, who serves you breakfast every morning and helps plan your day if you’re not sure what to do. Heemskerk is located right behind the concert hall (it is called the concertgebow in dutch just in case you’re lost). The best part about it is that you can pick the room you want to stay in – and some of them have hot tubs. Perfect after a long night of partying. The other museum to see is the annefrankhuis – anne frank’s house, where she hid during the nazi occupation of the Netherlands. The dutch are very sensitive about racial and religious intolerance – in the 1300’s Catholicism was made illegal, they failed to protect their city from the Nazis, and now all of that stuff with theo van gogh are dark stains on an otherwise long history of tolerance.

If you are looking for something REALLY special to do, every night at 7:30 they have a nighttime cruise on the canal. They give you wine + cheese and tell you all sorts of amazing stuff about Amsterdam that you never would have known. Every year I go on the cruise I find out something new. The cruise lasts about 2 hours, and it leaves from the dock right by the pancake house (I think the street name is spui, pronounced spow, but I could be wrong – let me check on that one) Another great place that I like is the pancake house: pennenkoekenhuis. they are the smallest (and the best) panckacke house in the Netherlands – it is run by these two gay guys who are beyond flamboyant, and they know how to make damn good crepes. Last year, we went there twice! Right below the pancake house is the hologram shop, they sell all kinds of really amazing holograms, but they call it a “museum†so you can just go in and look even if you don’t want to buy any. The Heineken brewery is cool if you like beer – they give you three beers and a really cool mug when you’re done. There’s a lot of weird stuff there which is worth checking out if you’re into that sort of thing (i'm not).

If you want to go out to dinner, which I’m assuming you do, the places to go are in the leidseplein and the rembrantplein. There they have a lot of outdoor restaurants. In the rembrantplein all of the restaurants have seats facing outside so you can peoplewatch – its really nice. Most restaurants close at 11 though. There are a number of ethinic places to eat above the red-light district on the way to centraal station. Most come from weird places you would never think of, like Indonesia or Malaysia or north Africa. The main supermarket is called Albert Heijn, which has all sorts of crazy dutch stuff. My absolute favorite is called strroopwaffelen (yum yum! Bring some back if you can!). everyone else liked this strawberry drink called Fristi – it was not my style but you should check it out.

Now, just some words of advice. Do not, I repeat DO NOT try and ride a bike in Amsterdam. You will die, I guarantee it. It seems tempting but trust me, you will die and we’ll all be very sad. Bikes are color coded – a black bike means that the rider is a native to the Netherlands, and they know how to ride a bike in chaos. A red bike is a tourist bike, which means that it is somebody who will probably lose a limb or two. Every street has five hazards: (1) people – especially people who are a little too baked to notice their surroundings, (2) cars – an obvious hazard. Most streets are very narrow one-way streets, and drivers are somewhat frustrated by having to circle around like morons just to get home, so they usually ignore the street signs. (3) bikes – bikes have their own separate lane, but at crosswalks the people and the bikes can intersect and it can get dangerous. (4) the canals – Amsterdam is a city built on canals, and its not the kind of water I would want to be swimming in if you fall in (some are used as sewers). (5) the tram – this is the most deadly. It is an electric train that runs on tracks throughout the city. They come without warning, usually while you’re trying to cross the street. It’s a bit of a mess. Once you get the hang of it there’s no problem, but it can be a little overwhelming – I like to call it “active walking†hehe. You can and should take bike tours that are outside of the city – the Netherlands are very flat (hence the name, and also the nickname, “lowlandsâ€) so the bike riding is not too strenuous. The sunset is very late in the summer – I don’t know how it is in the winter if you go. Sometimes it wont set until 9:30-10pm. That give you a lot of time for biking. Next is the tulips – if you’re going to bring home tulip bulbs to plant, you have to make sure you get the kind labeled “for export to the U.S.†– otherwise the US customs will confiscate them when you come home. They’re very serious about this. Speaking of plants – don’t try and bring anything home with you from the coffeeshops – its just not worth it. You could go to jail for a very long time – its very tempting but you don’t want to do it. As for the laws of where you can smoke, stick to the coffeeshops and parks. Don’t smoke on the street – its considered rude even though you will not get into trouble. If you go into a coffeeshop you can order pre-rolled joints or you can get bags from 1gram to 5 grams. Usually they mix the joints with tobacco, and that is very rough on my throat so I like to get my own bags and roll for myself. If you go into a coffeeshop to smoke and check out the atmosphere (they all have their own personality – some are trippy, others have dance music, rock music, pool tables, some are really comfy, etc and are worth trying out) but you don’t want to buy any grass there, it is polite to buy something like a juice, and leave a nice tip for using their space. Most coffeeshops will not sell beer. They all close at 2am, except in the redlight district which closes at 3am. The secret for staying out a little later is called the Dolphins – which is in a nice quiet area but they stay open until 3am.

Use the tram to get around if you have to go someplace in a hurry. You have to buy tickets in advance, called strippenkart. That is a card with 10 blank spaces, and you fold the card over to the last empty space and put it in the machine to get it stamped. You can buy the striippenkart at your hotel or tourist office (called the “VVVâ€). The VVV is a good place to go when you arrive in Amsterdam – there is one inside centraal station and one right across the street. The line is usually very long if you want to buy things, so I would go and check out the flyers of things that might be interesting for you. Everyone in Amsterdam speaks English, though you should probably learn a few dutch phrases (they appreciate it when you try, hehe). The dutch local cheeses are gouda and edam, so you should try those – my favorite thing is called a stokbrootje (brootje is pronounced brootye and it means bread). That is bread with cheese and onion baked on it. Good for cheap eats or munchies.

me again - so the place that i talked about in the article as the one where i always go to first... we call it "the place with 4 names" because it actually has at least 4 names that i can think of (Cannabis Cafe, Hard Rock + F.Z. (what the FZ stands for i have no idea), De Kuil, and 4:20).

In the freeuk guide that i gave you the link to before, it is listed as De Kuil so you can find it on the map there.

im personally partial to barney's. They won the cannibus cup in 2002 and I got the winning strain and they were so kind to let me use their vaporizor. I WAS TOTALLY FUCKED UP. Also Kadinsky was totally a great place to chill, one spot for smoke and one wicked ass bar.

also ask for a BIG ASS BEER, makes every bartender laugh ...

i dig kandinsky a lot - the whole decor/crazy artwork is great, and i liked hanging out there, especially because of its proximity to the canal boat docks and the pancake house. to be quite honest i don't remember their stuff, but then again, i guess that's the point.

barneys didn't do it for me, but then again, i'm not a morning person so the breakfast thing didn't work for me.

but isn't the vaporizer sweet? it is by far my favorite device. i was so close to picking one up a few years back, but that summer they converted from the guilder to the euro and the price shot up to be way out of my price range.

i really wish i could go back this year. i miss amsterdam and dance valley. well, there's always next year i guess.

(but on the plus side, it looks like i'll be going to Greece!)

p.s. is anybody taking the KLM/northwest evening flight back to nyc? yup, that's right, its flight 643.

Hey Rob, did u ever check out a place in Hoofddorp called Spanish Fly? It is on the same road as my hotel (493 Kruisweg) and the addy of the shop is 1043 Kruisweg. It seems that it is close, but who knows how far it really is. The reson I ask is that I might have a little while befor check in and was goig to go check this place out. :bong:

By the Way THANKS for all the info, it will come in helpful.

I am goingto bring a notebook and write my thoughts as my trip goes along so I will (hopefully) NOT forget everything when I come back.

I forgot to add, I won FREE tickets to see Dave Clarke while I am in Greece :bounce:

Hmmm, I haven't been to that area before - it looks like it will be 15-20 minutes away by car from amsterdam. i looked it up, though, and i think you might mean the coffeeshop "super fly". According to the coffeeshop guide, they are open at 10am and they have a few tables so you could probably chill there for some time before checkin.

Alternatively, if you have a few hours to kill and you are feeling particularly brave, you can also take the train to amsterdam centrum and check out the city center. There is lots to see and do there, even with your suitcases.

Be warned, though, centraal station is really tough to navigate if you've hit the coffeeshops - dutch words look you should be able to pronounce them in english, but they are not english. this is a fact that i can't stress enough, because i am working on my phd but it still took me a week to figure out how the hell to find the train i need while under the influence of de kuil. the sign is quite intimidating (see the picture) .

my first time in amsterdam i was staying outside of town like you, and we decided to try this method. we spent what felt like 10 years sitting in centraal station in a total panic. all we had to do was take a train, and then a bus. the train worked out fine once we realized which one to go take. we asked the bus driver to let us know when we got to the stop we needed - but he pronounced it in dutch so we didn't understand it and ended up going 45 minutes out of our way - and dropped off in the middle of nowhere.

the moral of this story: if you're going to hit the coffeeshops before you find your hotel, wait for the effects to wear off first :)

have fun, have lots of great adventures! you'll love it. write everything down and take lots of pix!

(by the way, i'm starting dutch classes in september)

Yea it is "Super Fly" I was thinkin that cause I NEVER been to AMSand I am traveling alone. My friends who have been there dont get there till 1pm. Meanwhile I land at 8:15am and I check in (I pray I can do an early checkin) is 3pm. SO I have aloyt of time to kill. I didnt want to venture too far away.

I am stayin at the NH Schipol Airport Hotel in Hoofddorp. It is about a mile away from the airport and has a free shuttle too and from the airport (6am to 12am) Ran me about $80 a nite. I understand it is a little out of the way put by me doing this has put me in a position to go on to Greece (Mykonos) for a few days. Then back to AMS for one nite and then back to NYC.