Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Million Dollar Baby

groovefire

Just watched it last night. Need to vent.

CRAP.

So many copied themes and boxing clichés. Trainer who brings fighter thru the ranks is later dumped for marquee manager ("Rocky 5"), trainer has difficulty applying his teaching to female fighter ("The Next Karate Kid", which also starred Hilary Swank and should NEVER share a single characteristic with an oscar nominated movie), boxing to pull out from poverty and provide for mis-guided parents ("The Champ" and "Gladiator", not the Roman flick, this one starred Cuba Gooding Jr.). Not to mention what happens in the title fight and thereafter, which I won't say for those who haven't seen the movie, but makes this piece of shit go from predictable to pathetic.

Shame on the Academy for giving this movie a single award, let alone Best Picture. The other nominees, "The Aviator", "Finding Neverland", "Ray" and "Sideways", were embarrassingly more unique, original and entertaining than Million Dollar Whore.

Enjoy hell, Clint, you're no doubt going there for this, and soon I'm sure.

Just watched it last night. Need to vent.

CRAP.

So many copied themes and boxing clichés. Trainer who brings fighter thru the ranks is later dumped for marquee manager ("Rocky 5"), trainer has difficulty applying his teaching to female fighter ("The Next Karate Kid", which also starred Hilary Swank and should NEVER share a single characteristic with an oscar nominated movie), boxing to pull out from poverty and provide for mis-guided parents ("The Champ" and "Gladiator", not the Roman flick, this one starred Cuba Gooding Jr.). Not to mention what happens in the title fight and thereafter, which I won't say for those who haven't seen the movie, but makes this piece of shit go from predictable to pathetic.

Shame on the Academy for giving this movie a single award, let alone Best Picture. The other nominees, "The Aviator", "Finding Neverland", "Ray" and "Sideways", were embarrassingly more unique, original and entertaining than Million Dollar Whore.

Enjoy hell, Clint, you're no doubt going there for this, and soon I'm sure.

Excellent review - totally agree.

Only saving grace was Morgan Freemans performance.

i heard the swingers made an another appearance at phil's too - yikes :aaah:

OMGGGG-you missed it! The whole time I was telling Ronny that I really wish you were there to witness what was going on....you would have died!! :laugh:

I'll explain when I see you so I can be all animated and you will appreciate it more ;)

• 5 months later...