Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Palash - one of the most overated djs out there..

I remember a marathon Dave Seaman set at vinyl... sometime in the middle of the night it dawned on me: the record hasn't changed in 6 hours. That was the last time I ever went out to a prog set.

The trouble with prog is that it takes repetitive to a whole new level- the same exact pattern will repeat itself 64 times, and then all of a sudden everyone cheers because the hi-hat comes in. On the other hand, it's good in small doses in the right setting.

Quite frankly, I see progressive as an "emperor's wearing no clothes" thing - pay $25 to get into the club to hear some superstar dj press repeat and dance around in the booth for 12 hours. it's probably a joke among djs. i'm finding it incredulous that it is still getting any sort of airplay after 2002.

And just to confirm - i love dance music, but that richie hawtin video sucked.

I remember a marathon Dave Seaman set at vinyl... sometime in the middle of the night it dawned on me: the record hasn't changed in 6 hours. That was the last time I ever went out to a prog set.

The trouble with prog is that it takes repetitive to a whole new level- the same exact pattern will repeat itself 64 times, and then all of a sudden everyone cheers because the hi-hat comes in. On the other hand, it's good in small doses in the right setting.

Quite frankly, I see progressive as an "emperor's wearing no clothes" thing - pay $25 to get into the club to hear some superstar dj press repeat and dance around in the booth for 12 hours. it's probably a joke among djs. i'm finding it incredulous that it is still getting any sort of airplay after 2002.

And just to confirm - i love dance music, but that richie hawtin video sucked.

:bowdown:

Couldnt agree more, last prog set I saw was Deep Dish opening night of Arc. Set reminded me of Mel Gibson's Death Scene in BraveHeart, Torturous and lasted forever. Horrendous.

Every statement you made was true (except for the richie video sucking) :direct:

and techno isnt repetative :rolleyes:

as well as EDM in general :rolleyes:

put a hard 808 or 909 kick drum over a rumbling bassline or a 303, quantize the bass and kick, add in a hi-hat and you got techno :rolleyes:

different strokes for different folks.....but saying that JUST prog is repetative is fucking retarded..............

Most DJ's you hear out there have been playing stuff Palash produced for years.

Even if it was under his "other" names. Palash my not be your cup of tea which is perfectly fine, but he isn't over rated.

There is nothing wrong with your opinion though.

As for saying Richie Hawtin is overrated is just yikes. I really don't know how to respond to that. Who remembers that nights at Baktun? :)

hawtin is 50/50 - sometimes he is beyond amazing and sometimes he'll be boring. This is both the upside and the downside of his drive to push the envelope. Sometimes the experiment works and sometimes it's boring. Those nights at baktun were amazing (although i'll never forget the look of anguish on his face when i asked him for his autograph without realizing that he was walking out the door to have a threesome hahahahha!) but the best i've ever seen him was at the SOE seaport party. Wow - cox/hawtin was the event that single-handedly restored my faith in the NY scene...