Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Holiday Lay Offs

ooana

Just got a call from another friend who was laid off this week.

What's this...the Grinch meets Scrooge? Maybe its just me and I know this is "normal" this time of year but layoffs before the holidays just strikes me as so fucking low.

Not my style to bitch but I wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me that doing this to people this time of year when it's even HARDER to find a new job, despite the great job market leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. :-(

(Is suddenly worried about her job.)

-Ooana

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

---"You have wings! Why don't I have wings?!"

---"Cause you're a boy, silly."

Originally posted by eggmok:

well, that depends on where you work . . .

retailers are hiring like mad now . . .

Most people I know work in the .com/internet/new media industry. Layoff madness right now. :-(

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

i'm going to come off as sounding like a dick here but i don't really care...

i don't know if your friend got laid off because their was work for him/her, there wasn't money or they were incompetent, but...

i'm in a managerial position. i have recently fired two people. if they were competent, honest, hard working people who weren't looking for the easy way while, they still would have a job, and a year end bonus.

the fact of the matter is, they were lazy, they lied, i had complaints about their work and attitude.

should i have to employ these inadaquate workers for another month or so just because it's the holiday? they have been fucking me for a couple of month now with their sub-par work while getting paid for it. should i feel bad for them? everyone else had to pick up their slack and were not compensated for it. is anyone feeling bad for those people? how about the fact that i paid money for work that wasn't done? i don't hear anyone crying for me...

business is fucked up - don't ever forget that.

also, it may be the company's year end on dec. 31 and for tax reasons it may happen. also, they may not project enough income in the next year to justify keeping that employee.

do you see how it works? to management, it's business, it's impersonal, it's whatever is most practical. to the individual, it personal.

if your friend got laid off for financial reasons, than what i have just said isn't applicable - the company just can't afford to pay them. as blunt and fucked up as it sounds - it all comes down to the bottom line. and if it isn't making money, it has to go and it doesn't matter what time of the year it is.

------------------

you can judge the quality and content of one's character by the way they treat someone that can do nothing for them...

Originally posted by peeps:

i'm going to come off as sounding like a dick here but i don't really care...

i don't know if your friend got laid off because their was work for him/her, there wasn't money or they were incompetent, but...

i'm in a managerial position. i have recently fired two people. if they were competent, honest, hard working people who weren't looking for the easy way while, they still would have a job, and a year end bonus.

the fact of the matter is, they were lazy, they lied, i had complaints about their work and attitude.

should i have to employ these inadaquate workers for another month or so just because it's the holiday? they have been fucking me for a couple of month now with their sub-par work while getting paid for it. should i feel bad for them? everyone else had to pick up their slack and were not compensated for it. is anyone feeling bad for those people? how about the fact that i paid money for work that wasn't done? i don't hear anyone crying for me...

business is fucked up - don't ever forget that.

also, it may be the company's year end on dec. 31 and for tax reasons it may happen. also, they may not project enough income in the next year to justify keeping that employee.

do you see how it works? to management, it's business, it's impersonal, it's whatever is most practical. to the individual, it personal.

if your friend got laid off for financial reasons, than what i have just said isn't applicable - the company just can't afford to pay them. as blunt and fucked up as it sounds - it all comes down to the bottom line. and if it isn't making money, it has to go and it doesn't matter what time of the year it is.

Absolutely everything you're saying makes perfect sense. In the business sense I 100% agree with you. I must admit I let my emotions carry me away before I posted that. I meant what I said in a purely ideological and philisophical sense, not talking numbers, dollars, or the bottom line.

She was laid off due to the company not having the money to pay her sallary. Her severence is good and she'll have loads of recomendations. What irks me is, companies are hiring people left and right lately only to let them go a few weeks later because they can't fullfill their business plan. I find something slightly...immoral about that approach to hiring and human capital. If you don't think you can afford to give someone a semi-stable possition...don't hire em'.

I know this all sounds very leftest if not left of even Mao. Call it youthfull ignorance or being naive. I do. :-) But I'll hold onto that for awhile...don't want to get too hard just yet.

------------------

Hold on to your hats kiddies... cause the eco is gonna take a turn to the south... the indicators all say that we're headed for a recession... is it going to be slight? I hope so...

------------------

Dream a little dream... and fawk the dejavus and nightmares!

caveman.gif

Archived