Clubplanet Nightlife Community

US Troops begin combat operations in N.O.

mp3some

Troops begin combat operations in New Orleans

By Joseph R. Chenelly

Times staff writer

NEW ORLEANS — Combat operations are underway on the streets “to take this city back†in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

“This place is going to look like Little Somalia,†Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guard’s Joint Task Force told Army Times Friday as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Louisiana Superdome. “We’re going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control.â€

Jones said the military first needs to establish security throughout the city. Military and police officials have said there are several large areas of the city are in a full state of anarchy.

Dozens of military trucks and up-armored Humvees left the staging area just after 11 a.m. Friday, while hundreds more troops arrived at the same staging area in the city via Black Hawk and Chinook helicopters.

“We’re here to do whatever they need us to do,†Sgt. 1st Class Ron Dixon, of the Oklahoma National Guard’s 1345th Transportation Company. “We packed to stay as long as it takes.â€

While some fight the insurgency in the city, other carry on with rescue and evacuation operations. Helicopters are still pulling hundreds of stranded people from rooftops of flooded homes.

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and police helicopters filled the city sky Friday morning. Most had armed soldiers manning the doors. According to Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeremy Grishamn, a spokesman for the amphibious assault ship Bataan, the vessel kept its helicopters at sea Thursday night after several military helicopters reported being shot at from the ground.

Numerous soldiers also told Army Times that they have been shot at by armed civilians in New Orleans. Spokesmen for the Joint Task Force Headquarters at the Superdome were unaware of any servicemen being wounded in the streets, although one soldier is recovering from a gunshot wound sustained during a struggle with a civilian in the dome Wednesday night.

“I never thought that at a National Guardsman I would be shot at by other Americans,†said Spc. Philip Baccus of the 527th Engineer Battalion. “And I never thought I’d have to carry a rifle when on a hurricane relief mission. This is a disgrace.â€

Spc. Cliff Ferguson of the 527th Engineer Battalion pointed out that he knows there are plenty of decent people in New Orleans, but he said it is hard to stay motivated considering the circumstances.

“This is making a lot of us think about not reenlisting.†Ferguson said. “You have to think about whether it is worth risking your neck for someone who will turn around and shoot at you. We didn’t come here to fight a war. We came here to help.â€

Terrible! :gang:

I figured the National Guard would be there... but damn the had to send the Marines too? Is it really that bad?

it's absolute chaos down there, amongst the poor people that are waiting for help are lowlifes armed up to their teeth with power rifles and guns that they stole right when the hurricane hit...something fucked up is going on down there...and whatever is to come I doubt we'll see on the news...rescue helicopters got shot at, I think everyone carrying a gun is going down...this is an area that was neglected from before the hurricane, it's sad that the neglicence towards them carries on even under these circumstances, the whole world is criticizing the weakness of the rescue effort and rightly so, the most fucked up thing is that it took Bush three das to cancel his vacations...this is surreal, I'm not antigovernment and I certainly love this country but there's something there that's not clear when it comes to racial issues...I wonder how this situation would've been treated if it had been in Malibu.

:blank:

I figured the National Guard would be there... but damn the had to send the Marines too? Is it really that bad?

One thing you have to understand about NOLA is that there are a HUGE number of drug addicts & probably the largest number of alcoholics in the country, living there. Drugs run out: bad stuff happens. When I finallly saw it for myself, New Orleans, I immediately could see why my bf left. Desolate life seeps into the French quarter with every glance, and concierges and tour guides are quick to tell you where NOT to go.

it's absolute chaos down there, amongst the poor people that are waiting for help are lowlifes armed up to their teeth with power rifles and guns that they stole right when the hurricane hit...something fucked up is going on down there...and whatever is to come I doubt we'll see on the news...rescue helicopters got shot at, I think everyone carrying a gun is going down...this is an area that was neglected from before the hurricane, it's sad that the neglicence towards them carries on even under these circumstances, the whole world is criticizing the weakness of the rescue effort and rightly so, the most fucked up thing is that it took Bush three das to cancel his vacations...this is surreal, I'm not antigovernment and I certainly love this country but there's something there that's not clear when it comes to racial issues...I wonder how this situation would've been treated if it had been in Malibu.

every word you said I feel the same way. :(

What pisses me off is they helped the Tsunami vistims & a Russian Sub. faster than N.O.

and that's on the other side of the globe.... WTF???

What's scary is that there are still tons of people there who need help before they "BOMB" the place up. and I'm sure due to our wonderful "Goverment Intelligence" many innocent people will die from this "take-back"

and FYI I did hear from most of my family that was still there...

My father got transported to San Antonio, where the shelter was COMPLETELY un prepared for the 5,000 + people so he just left...

My grandmother was rescued and brought to a small "elderly community center" in the middle of Louisianna.

At least they are safe... but it took a almost a week

Damn i've been watching the news on this all week long, FUCKING sad is what it is.....I don't know whats worse, like Funk said this is going to get ugly.....I feel sorry for all the victims and the families, but damn troops getting shot at come on now. I guess now we just see where this ends and how.

A bit of a reality check for america. Coming to terms with the result of the combination of near-extreme poverty, with complete lack of essential supplies or sanitary conditions, dead people, anarchy on the streets...

Triggered by a massive natural disaster.

And the fed's completely retarded way of managing the entire situation has no excuse. Reminds me a bit of the way bush sat still in that classroom after learning of the attack on the towers... he probably heard about Katrina and just watched from the big ol ranch till it really messed up....

just Bad.

:mad:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Notice last year when Florida was hit by hurricanes our president was here the next day with his brother handing out supplies. For keeping Terri Schiavo hooked up to a feeding machine he flew in the middle of the night during his vacation to sign that bill. Our vice-president Dick Cheney is still on vacation in Wyoming as we speak. Do I think the government's response would have been different if Katrina would have destroyed let's say Crawford, Texas. HELL YEA!!