Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Danny Howells

Dropped some LCD soundsystem in somewhere, otherwise can't trainspot his records for shit. Great time tho, I danced my ass off.

& Lee Burridge at the afterparty took what was left of my brain and mashed it on the floor.

cant wait to hear burridge on the seventh. last time i heard him he was amazing.

walked 10th ave to spirit. passed the park its jammed outside.

spirit fast line about 5 mins, polite staff. the change in spirit has been great this year. in 2004 I thought spirit had a mook obnoxious staff. now its Made friends running it & everyone is polite down to the coatcheck girl. $25 on list its not a cheap party but with a dj like howells its worth the $$

its about 1 am and howells is transitioning from his warmup house sound into his heavy bassline progressive thumpers. from 1 am to about 3:30 or 4 is one of the best segments of music Ive heard howells spin. I love his progg bassline sound & the occasional trancey poppy melodic peak. for me the 2-3 hours until 3:30 or 4 were the musical highlight of the night & as good as anything Ive heard howells spin, {and that includes at twilo opening for junior, at shadow lounge in miami, and even his greatest arc sets, which I feel include his incredible halloween set and 1 or 2 other spectacular nights at arc when we were luckly enough to hear him monthly.

I love DH's progg/bassline/house/trance sound & he was giving it loads until 3:30 or 4 am friday.

from 4: on he switched to serious techno mode. it was an impressive set. it was the most extended tech workout ive heard from DH [typically his sound is more tech-house or progg house]. it was an impressive tech workout. [it recalled DT's crobar tech beat downs, working the records. ] however all told I prefer howells funky melodic housier mood.

still DH kept it up til 6 am. there is a great relationship between DH & the nyc audience. hes one of the most spirited DJs & NYC gives loads back at DH.

after 6 am as I was winding down I thought DH lost the plot somewhat. I did like the electro vocal numbers towards 7 am close but I think DH could have programmed the night a bit better towards the last third.

still Id rate the first half of his set 4-1/2 stars of 5. one of the best musicall journeys DH ever treated us to.

the second half of his set was a bit hard for me, but its a ***3/4 star of 5 section for sure.

so overall id rate the complete night ****1/4 and am looking forward to DH's NYC return. SOON please!!

the crowd was more into the music than spirit can be.

the staff was uniformally polite.

the floor was packed all night and the vibe was still there betw 6 and 7 am even though howells was in 'wrap up' mode.

thanks too made for booking such a great DJ & hosting such a wonderful friday night.

{11:30-12:30: Pre-Party at LOTUS. contrary to some opinions the door is very friendly & organized there. it's a nice looking place but the crowd was seriously 718/201 and the music I heard was pure pop like maroon 5 and justin's senorita & 'people everyday.' I dont mind that playlist but its safe and the house i heard upstairs was pure cocktail house.