Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Has Classic Theme Parties Ruined Everything?

Classic parties are weekly events, esp. this past summer. When the idea came out years ago it was fun, and a huge draw. Now it seems like a panic button for clubs to put asses in its buildings. In fact, its was the only "sure thing" for a club to draw on a theme night. Some of the djs that have played these events weren't even old enough to go out when the now classic tracks were originally played. In addition, so many people who don't go out as much use classics as the only excuse to hit clubs. Now Classic parties attendance keeps dwindling......... so whats next? anyone?

agree 100%

I can understand certin clubs that hold classics nite cuz its tradition but when other clubs hold em just for the sake as an easy way to make a buck its gets alittle pathetic.

Its even more of an insult when clubs advertise that classics are part of the music format on any givin nite. If one wanted listen to classics, save your $$$ and listen Diseal Groove Records's NYC Underground, mixed by Alex Covello and Greg Padulla. Clubs should go back to educating the crowd on the new music thats coming out. But whats even more pathetic is when these so-called classics get played all the time.

"Its not a classic if it gets played all the time"

Hype, exchanging ideas on music w/ you is an honor and may your digital camera and djais kiss ass posts be blessed.... Glad you see my point. Only way to hear new music is to hit the city these days, something I find myself doing more and more.

Prettyricky, thats cool and all. Thats the attitude many people have. I do see your point... but over all there is less reasons for you to go out b/c you can hit classics one night a year and get your fix.

>You know i love to play classics. But now that every club feels the need to...I don't even want to do them anymore. Everytime a club asks me to do it i pretty much say no. I try to keep it to once a year maybe even twice a year. Like hype said...we need to educate. There's soo much GREAT music out there that needs to be played. Classics would be more valued if the RIGHT DJ's were the ones who played the classics. DJ's who were in the era...not the newbies. Clasasic nights are great nights to relive the vibe...but it's being beaten to death and i'm sad to see that happen.

Mendez

I know I asked this before, but when do classics become "oldies..." I am sick of half of the classics now and would like to hear some newer classics.....like 2002 or 2003 maybe........are they classics yet??? wtf

The classic's rule book has prevented 02 and 03 songs from being played, you must petition the DJ union for Dark Beat and Lasgo Stiff!!!!

Prettyricky, thats cool and all. Thats the attitude many people have. I do see your point... but over all there is less reasons for you to go out b/c you can hit classics one night a year and get your fix.

I hear you, I go out as much as I can, when I am not bartending, but even if it is not classics, I just love progressive house vocals, although there are a lot of songs without words that I like, I want to hear vocals old or new, as long as they are not that KTU cotton candy songs with weak beats!!!!

>You know i love to play classics. But now that every club feels the need to...I don't even want to do them anymore. Everytime a club asks me to do it i pretty much say no. I try to keep it to once a year maybe even twice a year. Like hype said...we need to educate. There's soo much GREAT music out there that needs to be played. Classics would be more valued if the RIGHT DJ's were the ones who played the classics. DJ's who were in the era...not the newbies. Clasasic nights are great nights to relive the vibe...but it's being beaten to death and i'm sad to see that happen.

Mendez

I agree w/ everything you said. Also should be pointed out YOU played the first classics night ever at Metro Lounge (I think in 02). That was 6 months before JP did it at SF, then threw a hissy fit and switchedto new shit at 7am...

Your style from 98-03 also had classics in the backround or samples which was so unique for its time, now you changed it up b/c of this (Im guessing on that) Andrew, your not the only dj that sees my point on classics, most of them feel that way from what I understand.

I hear you, I go out as much as I can, when I am not bartending, but even if it is not classics, I just love progressive house vocals, although there are a lot of songs without words that I like, I want to hear vocals old or new, as long as they are not that KTU cotton candy songs with weak beats!!!!

There is a way to play familar music w/o selling out and throwing the "ktu cotton candy" version (love that term lol). Most djs haven't figured it out though....